I cant believe Apple hasnt thought of this yet

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by baseballbent, Jun 24, 2008.

1. baseballbent macrumors member

since the iphone is an ipod that can creat "On-The-Go" playlists, but is also a device that can type with a keyboard, why is it not possible to create a playlist but rename it instead of having it titled "On-The-Go 4"....?

cmon...have they really not thought of putting this function in yet?:confused:

2. HoldFastHope macrumors 6502

3. guru_ck macrumors 6502

Apple is about simplicity not unnecessary clutter

4. yode macrumors 6502

he means why cant you rename playlists when you are using the iPhone

5. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

It's a great idea and I too am surprised that Apple haven't let us do that on "the best iPod" they make.

Other things "The Best iPod" doesn't have that is on all other iPods with screens:

1. Multiple On-The-Go playlists.
    2. A notes section where you can load in files directly from the computer.
    3. Podcast descriptions.
    4. Scrolling titles.

There's probably more but they're the four big ones that annoy about my otherwise awesome iPod touch.

6. Project macrumors 68020

At the same time I can name about 10 things iPods don't have that the player on the iPhone does

7. gloss macrumors 601

gloss

Yeah, there's really no reason not to be able to edit the names of your On-the-Go playlists. It's kind of ridiculous.

8. pavvento macrumors 6502

I agree completely. I make a lot of playlists on the go and hate seeing On-The-Go playlist 10 when I should just be able to give it a proper title without waiting to sync with iTunes.

9. I am Sampson macrumors 6502

I am Sampson

I'd love it to have party shuffle.
    I only use party shuffle at home, as I love being able to use the "play this song next" feature, so you can be listening to a playlist then play another song next and it automatically goes back to the playlist again.
    I'm surprised this hasn't been done before on previous iPods (i.e. hold down a button for a few seconds on a song (as with on the go) and that song will be played next (not now) then whatever the current playlist is will automatically continue), but it'd be even easier for a touch/iPhone.
    Nevermind, perhaps not many people listen to music that way, I dunno.

10. waterskier2007 macrumors 68000

waterskier2007

but if its the "best ipod" it should have EVERYTHING the other ones do (besides those limited by no clickwheel) and then some

11. nickspohn macrumors 68040

nickspohn

You both forgot the main part and point of the sentence.

"Best iPod we have ever MADE".

Isn't by software, it's by device ;)

12. Niiro13 macrumors 68000

It would certainly throw it off a bit, but they can easily place a "rename" button on the navigation bar of the playlist menu. It wouldn't be symetrical...but it's not like it would be clutter.

Anyway, I don't care too much about renaming playlists. But how about a search feature?? Nothing like contacts...but they could add a tabbar item labeled "search". It would then pop up a modalview of a search bar. Default the tabbar item in the more category unless the user wants to edit the tabbar.

13. Rojo macrumors 65816

Rojo

On-the-Go playlists are sooooo annoying to make, that I never bother with them.

First, it takes forever to scroll through your songs to find what you're looking for. And once you make your playlist, you can't add songs to it later -- you can only delete or rearrange songs. (Isn't there an option in regular iPods, where if you're listening to a song and you want to include it to an On-the-Go playlist, you can?? Or am I making that up?).

14. M-5 macrumors 65816

M-5

15. Rojo macrumors 65816

Rojo

Ah...my bad. I failed to see the little "+" sign on the left when in edit mode (must have been smoking something when I checked other times, 'cuz I swear it wasn't there before!).

So I guess the only thing left that would be really useful for On-the-Go playlists would be a search function! Or even that handy-dandy alphabet along the side would be nice...

16. M-5 macrumors 65816

M-5

Yeah, That would be useful. You can, however, search for the Artist, using the alphabet, and then select the song. But yeah, it's not as simple.

17. ChrisN macrumors 65816

ChrisN

I hate how you can't edit a on the go playlist on your phone after a day of use or so.

ChrisN

18. Niiro13 macrumors 68000

I hate how after you Sync, it makes another one...for me, I just need one dynamic on-the-go playlist.

19. Sonicjay macrumors 6502a

Sonicjay

Number four on your list surprises/irritates me in particular about the way the iPhone lists songs.

20. Rojo macrumors 65816

Rojo

Select a song...to add to the On-The-Go playlist?? How does that work, after a regular search? Or did you mean something else?

Incorporating the alphabet would be so easy:
    Looking at the song list that pops up when you are editing On-the-Go, it shows a grey bar at top with just the first letter of whatever songs you're on at the moment. They should have the FULL alphabet on that bar, and then just highlight whatever letter that you're on -- quicker and easier access through all your songs!

21. M-5 macrumors 65816

M-5

With the On-The-Go Playlist, you can click the "Edit" button on the top right and then the "+" symbol to add a song to your list. If you have many songs, it takes quite a bit of time to add a song at the end of your list. What you can do is click on the "Artist" button that's on the bottom of the screen. Once in the Artist view, the alphabet is displayed on the right side. Once you find the artist, you can choose the song and add it like you normally do.

It's definitely easier for large libraries.