Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TH55

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 5, 2011
There is literally no excuse for the leading smartphone manufacturer to have such terrible spelling correction. It almost NEVER capitalizes extremely common names and proper nouns and is usually misses obvious misspellings of very common words, often when they’re only misspelled by only one letter! It is so bad that I have had to literally use the text replacement feature to create keyboard shortcuts to autocorrect words I regularly type that it doesn’t capitalize! And even then it still doesn’t always work!!!

I just don’t get it, I specifically remember the first generation of iOS being significantly better than this, it used to pick up almost everything no matter how off it was. It was brilliant. How could the leading smartphone brand have gone downhill??! It is infuriating.

The.Glorious.Son

macrumors 68000
Sep 28, 2015
Chicago, IL
I feel your pain. I have had to use the keyboard shortcuts creatively as well which has helped to a degree. Sometimes it blows my mind what the words autocorrect to because they aren't remotely close. Other times, the word is spelled correctly but autocorrect keeps trying to change it so I have to intentionally select the word on the far left of suggestions to override the autocorrect.

TH55

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 5, 2011
It's always been ducking terrible... for as far back as I can remember.
First gen iOS was pretty solid, idk when you joined team Apple but I distinctly recall typing gibberish with my eyes closed and it still figured out what I was trying to type.

MacDaddyPanda

macrumors 6502a
Dec 28, 2018
Murica
I can't stand autocorrection on the phone. That's always one of the 1st things I disable when setting up a new phone. Because I can type ok. So I automatically correct myself. The autocorrect gets in the way or messes up my brain because it tries to correct using the completely wrong word.

Reactions: Regina del Mare

ok3wire

macrumors member
Jun 15, 2009
My biggest wish is that there were just a little more separation between the bottom row of letters and the space bar.

If I had a dime for every time an attempt at a “c” or an “n” created an extra space, automatically added the period and then capitalized the next letter, I’d be able to afford a new iPhone.

Reactions: compwiz1202

napabar

Suspended
Jun 12, 2008
There is literally no excuse for the leading smartphone manufacturer to have such terrible spelling correction. It almost NEVER capitalizes extremely common names and proper nouns and is usually misses obvious misspellings of very common words, often when they’re only misspelled by only one letter! It is so bad that I have had to literally use the text replacement feature to create keyboard shortcuts to autocorrect words I regularly type that it doesn’t capitalize! And even then it still doesn’t always work!!!

I just don’t get it, I specifically remember the first generation of iOS being significantly better than this, it used to pick up almost everything no matter how off it was. It was brilliant. How could the leading smartphone brand have gone downhill??! It is infuriating.

I agree with you 100%! It was better back in 2007. What the hell happened? I hate Google, but typing in a malformed word always gets me the correct spelling everytime. Sad. This should be how the iPhone works.
[doublepost=1564688291][/doublepost]
How about users take responsibility for their own writing, instead of complaining about a program that isn’t doing what many know needs to be done?

How about the technology works likes it's supposed to? Like, what I paid for?

Mac2019

macrumors 6502a
Feb 12, 2016
The one that gets me most is capitalising 'may' every single time even when it is obvious that the use of the word is not to describe the month but as a verb.

rafark

macrumors 68000
Sep 1, 2017
10000% agree. It's somehow useful but it's overall a bit dumb, especially on os x. Google search is much better at guessing words, and it's even context-aware.

apolloa

Suspended
Oct 21, 2008
Time, because it rules EVERYTHING!
Apparently, Apples auto correct uses the cloud, so it bases its data in all iPhone user inputs bad spelling and slang and all.. hence it’s now pretty bad these days.
No idea if thats true or not, but it’s not the best system. But better then nothing I suppose.

Last edited:
Reactions: TH55

ok3wire

macrumors member
Jun 15, 2009
Apparently, Apples auto correct uses the cloud, so it bases its data in all iPhone user inputs bad spelling and slang and all.. hence it’s now pretty bad these days.
No idea if thats true or not, but it’s not the best system. But better then nothing I suppose.

Is that why my iPhone apparently thinks I should never again use the word “were” and instead substitutes the contraction “we’re” 100% of the time?

Reactions: anitak1982 and TH55
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.