I can't believe I did it! (I upgraded drives in a Mini)

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by PinkyMacGodess, Aug 25, 2015.

1. PinkyMacGodess macrumors 68040

PinkyMacGodess

I really can't believe that I did it.

I upgraded the drives in my 2010 Mac Mini server, and it was not easy, and yet, I got it all apart, and all put back together and, it WORKED at first power-up!

Damn, there were a few moments...

Apple definitely made this things hard to service for a reason, but I can't figure out what it could be...

I feel like people that try it, and do it should get a medal or something... o_O

But it's done... Wow...

2. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

Compact design is the reason for the difficulty. I wouldn't say it's challenging by today's standards if I'm honest. Try replacing iPhone screens that's fun. Lol

3. adam9c1 macrumors 65816

adam9c1

Cool story.

I swapped RAM, drives, and added optibay drive in one. Boy was it über easy.

2010 - different beast.

4. simplyj3sse macrumors newbie

simplyj3sse

I just did the same on the exact same model the 2010 server. lol. I got it for free cause both drives were failing and I agree with you about a medal or something.

5. PinkyMacGodess thread starter macrumors 68040

PinkyMacGodess

Granted, I could stub my toe and probably get a medal. And from the people here, well, so many have done so much with so many other types of Apple hardware, but I've done notebook drive replacements that were a LOT easier than the Mini.

I could see screwing this job eight ways from Sunday, and get it dead in so many ways...

The multitude of connectors and cables, and it just made it a little stress inducing. PLUS getting the Mac Mini Logic Board Tool just to get the damn motherboard to release and slide out.

I had a real bitch of a notebook deal that had to be torn practically apart to get to the hard drive, and I had a damned screw left after putting it all back together... YIKES!

This little box isn't MOTD (Mobile On The Desktop), it's mobile on the nightmare...

But anyway, I've tooted my own horn enough.

I'm just so happy that the thing works. For now...

YEAH!!!

And BOO on Apple for making it such a PITA to get this done!!! BOO!!!

But I felt the same way as the 'computer' integration in cars.

My MIL had a Jeep Wagoneer and had it 'serviced' at a local franchise shop that started with an 'F', and they sold her a new 'computer', which failed within the next month. Ahh, but the helpful person, to us, that worked on the vehicle left the warranty for the new 'computer' IN THE CAR. It had a 90-day warranty. The 'F' franchise tried to invoice her for the next new 'computer'. I told her that the last new 'computer' has a warranty, and she shouldn't owe ANYTHING for that unit failing... They pitched a fit, until she went in with the warranty slip that was 'accidentally' left in the car. Jerkoffs...

Yeah, the 'computer' for that car probably had a half dozen fuses, and a few resistors all covered with a phenolic resin. Yeah, it's all BS... Someone needs to x-ray one of those things. Heck, that was in the time when a 'computer' was the size, well, of many of our first computers... BIG...

What a scam.

Hey, speaking of scams... We just bought a 'Digital Fan'. Yeah, it's about as digital as a wood yardstick... At least we got it on clearance...

6. PinkyMacGodess, Aug 26, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 26, 2015

PinkyMacGodess thread starter macrumors 68040

PinkyMacGodess

Another odd thing, as I copy my 'stuff' to the newly resurrected server, is how the network transport speed changed from batch to batch, and directory to directory.

Sometimes the speed would drop to the high 'k's', and other times it would be scorching in the 50+ mbps.

There didn't seem to be a rhyme or reason for it. I started out with a Netgear GS108, and thought I'd try a Cisco Small Business SG100D-08P thinking that the Cisco would transport the data faster, and it did seem to, but at times I still got the slow downs...

It's like one or the other of my systems would get constipated, and the transfer would just nearly stall.

But anyway...

Next comes the videos... Yippee...

EDIT: Through the Cisco, I'm getting throughput up to 90 MB/sec. Coolness...

7. Miat macrumors 6502

I have replaced drives in a 2012 Mini and a 2007 iMac. I prefer working on the Mini.

Still fiddly though. Congrats on getting it right your first time. :)

8. CrickettGrrrl, Aug 27, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 27, 2015

CrickettGrrrl macrumors 6502a

CrickettGrrrl

A big pat on the back to you, congrats!

We all deserve medals for HDD replacements (I replaced RAM & a HDD in my 2007 Mac Mini last fall and was completely drenched in sweat afterward. And I never sweat.) So I whipped up white, & aluminum Mac Mini medals for all of us. :p

Mac-Mini Aluminum Medal w sm.jpg Mac-Mini White Medal w sm.jpg

9. simplyj3sse macrumors newbie

simplyj3sse

Oh cool! You need a mailing address lol?

10. ron7624 Contributor

ron7624

My sincerest congradulations. I see above that youve received your medal of honor and accomplishment already.
    It feels good doesnt it?

11. PinkyMacGodess thread starter macrumors 68040

PinkyMacGodess

Yeah, it does.

Now I'm looking for the next big fix...

Self lobotomy? Self aneurysm repair?

The thing is, it didn't have to be that hard. But...

Yeah, I DID IT!!!

And, well, so far, it's still working...

12. PinkyMacGodess thread starter macrumors 68040

PinkyMacGodess

And, what do you have to do for the oak leaf cluster?

Tell me there is an oak leaf cluster, right... :(:confused::p:eek::oops::rolleyes:o_O

13. ron7624, Aug 27, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 28, 2015

ron7624 Contributor

ron7624

Appx 10 years ago I decided to build a Windows computer from the ground up. After several weeks of judicious purchasing I put it altogether and lo and behold it worked. I was very proud of myself and was continuously patting myself on the back. lol So I know exactly how you feel.
    Fast forward to now...
    Recently, my daughters tiny Dell laptop lost wifi connectivity, and since it did not have an ethernet port, i was up the proverbial creek. I tore into it looking for a wifi card to replace, but there wasn't one. Just a small mSata flash drive. Since it was a 120gb drive, I bought a 256gb used from ebay for 60 bucks, installed it and put the os back on using a usb cd drive. Luckily the disks that came with the computer had everything needed to put the wifi connectivity back on, but in retrospect I'm glad I bought the larger drive for her because... I tested the original and couldnt find anything wrong with it, so I ordered an enclosure for that drive, connected it to my MacMini and installed Yosemite. Since the MacMini was running with its original 5400 hard drive, I began experiencing supersonic speeds on my MacMini. So cool! I didnt know what an mSata flash drive even was until then. I backed right into this newfound wonderfulness just because her Dell was a few weeks out of warranty when it decided to mess up. So tearing into stuff can be a really good experience sometimes. I love happy endings ;)

14. CrickettGrrrl, Aug 28, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 28, 2015

CrickettGrrrl macrumors 6502a

CrickettGrrrl

Mac Mini HDD Replacement Medals w Apple Leaf Clusters w.jpg
    Well yes, apple leaf clusters, actually. I believe one has to max the RAM, upgrade the CPU, and install both SSD & HDD and fuse them using nothing but one's wits, bare hands, teeth, & possibly a cork screw.

15. PinkyMacGodess thread starter macrumors 68040

PinkyMacGodess

All that AND replace the processor? It's soldered on, and surface mount to boot... That would be magic of a grade that I have not acquired, yet...

Nice job though... :)

Extra points for use of a Sonic Screwdriver? Tricky tool that is...

16. CrickettGrrrl macrumors 6502a

CrickettGrrrl

Always extra points for Sonic Screwdriver use. No matter what. Always.

17. PinkyMacGodess thread starter macrumors 68040

PinkyMacGodess

Now if mine actually came from some place other than Barnes & Noble... o_O

18. lewdvig macrumors 65816

I just did this too; 120 GB SSD and 2 TB HDD. I followed OWC guide. I found it easier to put the top drive in first, then slide the second drive assembly in. That makes lining up the pegs in the top drive much easier.

It really is a marvel of design and engineering, for how little love it gets these machines were probably the hardest to manufacture out of the whole lineup - the shell requires the paring of a lot of aluminum - amazing machining.