I can't believe I'm saying this, but I just can't wait to ditch Touch ID once and for alllllllllllll

Goldfrapp

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jul 31, 2005
Showered about an hour ago, try to unlock my iPhone, Touch ID fails, have to enter passcode

Happens enough times to start hating Touch ID

Update:

Guys, I just successfully registered the knuckle of my thumb as Touch ID. Works like a charm, even minutes after shower. My problems solved. I don't hate Touch ID anymore. Thank y'all for the input.

Last edited:

eoblaed

macrumors 68020
Apr 21, 2010
The only time attempting TouchID after a show fails for me is if I haven't dried my hands yet. Other than that, it's pretty flawless.

That said, I'm excited to get my X and see how FaceID works.

artfossil

macrumors 65816
Oct 5, 2015
Florida
Showered about an hour ago, try to unlock my iPhone, Touch ID fails, have to enter passcode

Happens enough times to start hating Touch ID
All it takes for me is working in my studio with fabric (abrasive and drying) and my iPad and iPhone no longer recognize me as human. Touch ID is better than entering a passcode (when it works) but I for one welcome the move toward FaceID.

Reactions: SR71

acorntoy

macrumors 65816
May 25, 2010
What's going on? Your showering with your phone, and as a result touch Id isn't working for a period of time (would probably be due to water obviously...)? Or are you saying that because you showered, your thumb print washed off and cannot scan?

I have OCD, I wash my hands -a lot- sometimes for -long- periods of time (probably what many people would consider "shower time"). Touch ID has never been an issue for me.

IGotOne

macrumors regular
Sep 25, 2017
Las Vegas, NV
Yep! Why keep using a security feature that works 99.99% of the time (sans for rare circumstances like when your fingers are pruney/wet or you're wearing gloves) when you could switch to a 100% unproven system that could be FAR worse (no one knows).

But hey, it might recognize you fresh out of the shower, so that's a win...

I'm sure Face ID will be fine, but I ran a search of the forum and prior to the keynote couldn't find a SINGLE post similar to "Touch ID is just so awful... I wish I could just scan my FACE instead...". It's a problem no one knew they had (until Apple spun up their RDF).

If it isn't broke, we may as well fix it 'til it is!

patricem

macrumors 6502
Nov 18, 2005
Rarely works for me either. I can't stand it really. Its most likely my phone. Main reason I want X is for face ID!!

fischersd

macrumors 601
Oct 23, 2014
Vancouver, BC, Canada
Umm...don't you still have to swipe to get the home screen after FaceID unlocks? (ie. capacitive touch screen still won't work with a wet finger). Or am I missing something? :)

And, yes, I hope they make that user-customizable....I think it's silly to require a gesture after the phone is unlocked.

Reactions: Demo Kit

The Game 161

macrumors Core
Dec 15, 2010
UK
I will be glad to see the back of touch ID on my 7 plus

it still lags at times when i touch the home button to use touch ID..clearly a IOS 11 issue.

Shirasaki

macrumors G3
May 16, 2015
It’s just a process of Apple moving from one cluster**** to another one. Both are disastrous. Both are unreliable to an extent. The only difference is which one is even worse.