I can't connect my iPhone 4 to Mackbook Pro via Bluetooth

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by skrjboone, Jul 11, 2010.

1. skrjboone macrumors newbie

skrjboone

In general I am enjoying the upgrade to iPhone 4. I have none of the reception issues talked about in the media. In fact my reception is better than my 3gs. I had never connected an iPhone to my Macbook Pro, but decided to try today. My Macbook sees the iPhone attempt to connect. My iPhone displays the attempt with the correct 6 digit code. I click sync and then it says it was unable to connect. I am running OS X 10.5.8. Any thoughts?

2. Alonzo84 macrumors 6502a

Alonzo84

If I am not mistaken, you can only connect BT mouses, keyboards ect. iPhones are not compatible devices.

3. dlemmon macrumors regular

I think you are correct. Apple has never let us connect our phones to our computers via blutooth like I could with my blackberry.

4. skrjboone thread starter macrumors newbie

skrjboone

Won't this need to happen prior to Internet tethering?

5. mhdena macrumors 6502

6. skrjboone thread starter macrumors newbie

skrjboone

Those issues seem to be connecting to devices not to a macbook pro. I had read the instructions on this site which seems to indicate we should be able to connect the two. http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3574

7. Steve686 macrumors 68040

Steve686

you can pair iPhones with a MBP. you can not connect to file swap.

as for tethering, yes. it will connect via BT. you just have to enable and sign up for tethering with ATT(un-JB of course) and you will be set to go. you can do this right through the phone.

8. bumzo1 macrumors 6502a

no bluetooth for us :( I used to send pictures from my blackberry to my iMac all the time but I can't anymore anymore.

9. Alonzo84 macrumors 6502a

Alonzo84

They want you to pay for a MobileMe account;)

10. mhdena macrumors 6502

So what if any is the work around for that?

11. Alonzo84 macrumors 6502a

Alonzo84

Work around for what?

12. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

There's several ways to connect to your Macs & PC's or files via the iPhone 4 such as iTeleport (and yes, I can swap files), iDisk, and DropBox. You can also swap files via screen sharing...:cool:

13. jules verne macrumors newbie

I bought the iPhone 4 today and found the same bluetooth problem. I purchased ImTOO iPhone Transfer Platinum for mac and works a treat :)

14. mabaker macrumors 65816

mabaker

Every single phone except for the iPhone of course can connect with any BT-enabled Mac and sync contacts, exchange files etc.

Up till Tiger you could even send SMS’s from a phone connected to your Mac. Apple even advertised it big time when Tiger came out.

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=51779

Apple is intro’ing some features with each new release and is also vehemently crippling other old ones. It’s sad.

15. DaniBgn macrumors newbie

MBP with Lion can teather over Bluetooth with iPhone

Hi All,

I was reading though this post trying to find the resolution to the same problem i was experincing.

While reading along i was trying some different things and found that the 2 can connect for Tethering purposes.

Althoug, i'll get a little more specific on the details of the issue i was having. (not to miss lead any one)

I've been trying to get my iPhone 3 GS to connect to my MBP for a while and kept getting the same issue. the MBP would accept the pairing process although my iPhone would come back with unsuccessfull and force to forget the device.

This started with IOS 4.3.1 and my MBP had OS X SL 10.6.8
    Due to other various issues, i decided to upgrade to Lion on my MBP and IOS 5 on my iPhone.
    The bluetooth issue was still occuring.

Resolution:
    Go through the pairing process. The iPhone will most likely get the error mentioned above (in Bold). Before proceeding, be certain that the Personal HotSpot is enabled and that your on the Bluethooth settings screen on the iPhone.

On your Mac Book Pro, you should see the list of devices after clicking the quit button on the " Successfully Connected screen" from the Paring process. The iPhone should be listed.

Select your device, click the Gear icon to the bottom left and click connect to network.

It should prompt both devices with a paring Code. click ok on the iPhone then on the MBP.

The connection should establish.

You should be able to see the "Bluetooth PAN" listed in the Network Preferences window on the MBP. This will allow you to connect to the iPhones Network with out having to go through the Pairing process again.

Regards
    DaniBgn

Attached Files: