I can't decide what to do

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Fontane, Sep 18, 2012.

1. Fontane macrumors regular

I use a MBA and new ipad and love them both. Currently using a Droid RAZR that I got back in December. It's a good phone but for some reason I want the iphone so bad. I just love the form factor -- it's such high quality!

I've researched and read everything I can get my hands on, including just about every single post in this forum to help me make a decision. Yet I still find myself completely indecisive about how to approach getting the iphone 5.

I'm not eligible for an upgrade with Verizon but I can transfer my girlfriend's upgrade (we're on the same account) to my line and she will gladly take my RAZR as a freebie from me.

The problem I'm having is like many others: I'm not sure if I should subsidize and spend $199 (16gb) or pay retail ($649) in order to preserve my unlimited data plan. I looked back at usage and combined we use about 500MB every month. I can see that increasing with more streaming services, etc but I've been using 4g in a metro area since December and my data usage has not increased.

But I just don't like the idea of giving up that unlimited data since I can never get it back. But I also don't like the idea of spending $649 for a phone I don't really need. Especially considering I am about to launch on an overseas travel for about six months. But my plan was to get the iphone 5 so I could get it unlocked with verizon and use sim cards from countries I'm visiting (the big reason I want to ditch the droid RAZR).

Right now I'm leaning toward subsidized in order to minimize the cost now.

I know this dilemma has been discussed ad nauseum on this forum...just adding my own story into the mix for anyone who might have a bit of wisdom I did not already think of.

2. mofunk macrumors 68000

mofunk

I just spoke to a friend using a Verizon iPhone overseas. It works. You have the option to buy a disposable phone while overseas. This way you will not go over your minutes. With wi-fi everywhere you can still check your email and use other apps.

If you are planning to move to an iPhone maybe go into a store and ask the questions. Try to get the best deal, closest to your ultimate plan. See if your job offers a discount on the plans.

3. Fontane thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the reply. I was thinking that instead of buying a disposable phone overseas, I could just use that money toward justifying the cost of the iphone.

I do get a discount of 22% off my monthly bill every month from a corporate job I once held.

4. chris2k5 macrumors 6502a

I would sell either the MBA or iPad PLUS sell the RAZR. That way you can have a:

MBA/iPhone or iPad/iPhone combo

5. nostresshere macrumors 68030

having your on the same ecosystem is worth a ton

6. kilj0y macrumors member

If I were you I would just sell your unlimited data plan line on craigslist or eBay for like $200 give the RAZR to your girl, and use the money from the UDP to buy your subsidized iPhone 5 on a new line.