I can't figure this out... Lightning vs micro usb

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by surjavarman, Oct 30, 2012.

1. surjavarman macrumors 6502a

but why didn't they just use a micro usb port instead of trying to reinvent the wheel. saves them some $ on research and is probably better for consumers too

2. BFizzzle macrumors 68020

BFizzzle

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

simple as that

3. Buildbright macrumors 6502a

Micro USB is a junk connector. Its a pain in the azz to attach at times and it degrades over time which the connector has to be replaced. THe lightning connector is awesome.

4. BFizzzle macrumors 68020

BFizzzle

how do you know it wont "degrade" over time as well? (even though the microusb wont lol) its only been out a month. Can I borrow your time machine since you seem to know this some how?

the microUSB isnt junk and doesnt degrade after time.
    The only advantage the lightning cable has is double sided, and its a little slimmer. Thats it.
    It uses an authentication chip which numerous people (myself included) has had the chip go out in days after purchase.
    Only issues with micro usb i have ever had is it shorting out..(due to how I used it) or the end being bent... (due to how i used it).

all in all.. the lightning cable is nice, i like it.. double sided. small.
    but to say the microUSB is junk... is just ignorant and apple fanyboy

5. takeshi74, Oct 30, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2012

takeshi74 macrumors 601

[​IMG]

If micro USB is a must for you then buy something with micro USB. This topic has been beaten to death countless times before. Why do you think this thread will be any different?

Part of your problem in understanding is that "better" is always subjective on any topic. Micro USB isn't better for my needs. The other part of your problem I would assume comes from a lack of understanding the Lightning connector. Read up and compare. If you're having trouble finding info there's a little bit here that touches on the highlights of the Lightning connector:
    http://www.apple.com/iphone/features/

The other advantage is the major one which was the same as the 30 pin dock connector: dock accessories. Again, this has been endlessly rehashed in prior threads.

6. B.A.T macrumors 6502

At work everytime I plug a micro usb device into a Windows machine it has to load up drivers. No drivers needed with lighting or the 30 pin before that.

7. Appleseeds macrumors regular

Why do you care ?
    Do you get a kickback every time micro USB is used?

8. boomhower macrumors 68000

boomhower

I'l take lightning. At least when I spend $20 on a cable from Apple I know I am getting a quality cable. I've lost track of how many crap Micro USB cables I've went through, getting a good cable isn't as easy as you would think. It's a nice solid, secure connection. I'm not a big fan of it being a proprietary cable but I'm perfectly fine with it.

9. Jessica Lares macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

MicroUSB ports become loose over time. The cheaper, the more likely it does. I always bring up the Kindle Fire here, but that is probably the easiest example for it. Pretty much every unit has the problem, and because of it, also has charging problems. That's also the moment you get it out of the box.

The lightning connector not only seems a lot faster in my use so far, but it's so much easier to get it in the device, compared to even the old dock connector which you had to push in with two fingers. Plus, it's a lot thicker, which is better for durability.

10. adam044 macrumors 65816

adam044

Because Apple creates new technology, they are ahead of the game, why use something old on a shiney new product. Why keep using old technology the tech world would never move forward if we just kept using the same connectors. Apple invented something never seen before and I thinks its great. I think your really going to like it.

11. BFizzzle macrumors 68020

BFizzzle

you can do accessories with microUSB too??

what? drivers have nothing to do with the cable. Its the devices.. and windows OS.

if i plug my iphone 5 into windows with my lightning cable.. it has to install the correct drivers. Then after that.. it wont have to install just recognize.

dont get me wrong people i do like the lightning cable.. much more than microusb.

12. mattopotamus macrumors G4

mattopotamus

I like the new connector for the simple fact in the middle of the night I don't have to make sure I am plugging the cable in the right direction.

13. AlphaTeam macrumors regular

AlphaTeam

Ya but they kept the 30 pin connector for a very long time.

The benefit is not having to have a box of all sorts of chargers and cables. When you go on a road trip with people you have to ask what device eveyone has so everyone has a charger. It would be nice to just have 1.

----------

Ya are comparing a $20 cable to a $.99 cable you buy on ebay. Spend $20 on a nice micro USB cable and you will get similar quality.

14. BFizzzle macrumors 68020

BFizzzle

exactly! same goes for all the 30pin chargers on ebay. My wife bought a $2 pink on online...it crapped out in a month.

15. Daniel L macrumors 6502

The lightning port is adaptive. It can become whatever interface Apple programs it to be. That right there is why it's better (and more expensive) than micro-usb.

16. MeFromHere macrumors 6502

Micro USB standard doesn't allow enough power

The 3rd generation iPad comes with a 10-watt charger. The 4th generation comes with a 12-watt charger.

A full-size USB port can supply this much power, but a micro USB connector is only rated for 9 watts (1.8 amps at 5 volts). If Apple had used micro USB, both the 3rd and 4th generation iPads would have had longer charging times.

This article has a good summary of the power problem, if you don't feel like looking through the USB specs yourself:
    http://techpinions.com/why-apple-couldnt-go-to-micro-usb-charging/10212

In addition, by building cables and adapters with different signal conversion circuits, Apple can use the lightning port to generate a variety of different standard signals. A USB port could do some of these (with appropriate converters) but not all. Lightning isn't limited to USB 2.0 signal speeds.

17. Daniel L macrumors 6502

The lightning port is adaptive. It can become whatever interface Apple programs it to be. That right there is why it's better (and more expensive) than micro-usb. It can even become Micro USB

18. FSMBP macrumors 68020

FSMBP

For 9 years, all iDevices used the same connector. Nine years. In the same time, the industry went from full-size USB, Mini-USB, and now Micro-USB. At least a iPod car hook-up you bought in 2004, worked with your iPhone 4 in 2010. That can't be said for other connectors.

Also, companies will make specific iOS docks/adapters. This is what Apple wants as docks will be tailored to iPhone. How many Android devices have more than 3 or 4 specific accessories? Probably not a lot as companies release new phones every 2 months.

I'm not saying I think a propriety plug is the best, but it definitely has its merit.

19. paulrbeers macrumors 68040

And with the 30pin to lightning adapter, your car audio can continue to work* for the next 9 years (assuming lightning is used for the next 9 years like the 30 pin adapter was)

Frankly, everyone seems to think that all the lightning connector does is transfer data and power. If that was the case, then Apple should have just gone with Micro USB and been done with it, BUT that isn't the case. It already can do VGA and HDMI. I'm pretty sure (but can't find it on Apple's website) that it also can be an SD Card reader as well as a USB connector for your camera. That's only the start of what it can do (at this point). Since it is adaptive (unlike Micro USB which is pretty much "what you see is what you get"), the Lightning port can be limitless. If we end up with some kind of new "fangled" Audio/video connector, it's quite possible that the Lightning port could be that to.

* caveat being that composite video is no longer supported

20. bigjnyc macrumors 601

bigjnyc

A. Exclusivity and Distinction
    B. Money
    C. More Money

21. surjavarman thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks guys. I thought I was the first one that thought about the micro usb.

But why doesn't it use mag safe then or wireless charging. I mean a few years back I thought Apple wanted each device to be a stand alone device that would then sync to the cloud instead of the PC. it doesn't look like it if it still needs to use a lightning connector

22. FlatlinerG macrumors 6502a

FlatlinerG

Magsafe would have been heaven. I guess a big reason to not go magsafe would be for docks or other accessories. That and if it unplugs easier during syncing or updating, errors and possible issues would be far more common.

23. reputationZed macrumors 65816

MagSafe, at least as its implemented on the MacBooks would be to large. Wireless would require a base station (charging pad). It's a lot easier to throw a cable and power connector in your bag then a charging pad. Not sure on the charge times on the wireless chargers but that may have been a factor as well.

24. Hankster macrumors 68020

Hankster

People complain if new technology costs more money, but they'll also complain when there isn't new technology. The micro USB port has been around for years. It's old technology and it's slow. If you cannot deal with upgrading a freaking port every half decade then you're cheap.

Why not go back to using CRT monitors.

25. Menel macrumors 603

Menel