I Can't Get a Picture when my Mac is Connected to my Vizio HDTV, in Windows Mode..

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by HappyDude20, Sep 14, 2010.

1. HappyDude20 macrumors 68020

HappyDude20

I have a MBP 2009 and can't get a picture on my Vizio HDTV when connected and its in Windows mode..w/ Snow Leopard its fine and automatically connects but not with Windows.

I should mention I have Windows XP on my Mac, not Vista or 7.

This is driving me crazy.

Even if I'm in Snow Leopard on my Mac and its connected, when I switch on the Mac to Windows, the HDTV goes blank...or blue rather, saying no connection.

Any help is highly appreciated. Obviously this is something w/ Windows and hope someone could shed some light on the subject.

Thanks! :rolleyes:

2. MacForScience macrumors 6502

MacForScience

I seem to recall hearing that windows is not completely compatible with Mac hardware with the EFI translation and all that (I could be wrong). How are you using windows eg boot camp or parallels etc.?

Cheers

3. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

And what adapters/input are you using for the connection? (HDMI? VGA? ... )

B

4. HappyDude20 thread starter macrumors 68020

HappyDude20

5. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Seems to be a VGA (analog RGB) cable even though the link didn't work for me, I was able to find it by SKU and item name.

Your MBP doesn't have a VGA port, so what are you doing to convert from the MiniDisplayPort connector to the cable you linked to? The Apple adapter?

Who supplied the video drivers you are using? Apple? Microsoft? Nvidia?

B

6. HappyDude20 thread starter macrumors 68020

HappyDude20

Hey i'm using this cable :

http://store.apple.com/us/product/MB572Z/A?fnode=MTY1NDA3Ng&mco=MTA4NDU0NjA

apples own minidisplay port to vga

7. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Which drivers?

I use that one and a VGA cable to my Samsung TV using the Boot Camp drivers on both my 2008 MB and 2009 MBP.

There were some issues with an earlier adapter and Windows which required modifying the cable to disconnect a pin, so it may be that one of the wires is connected/not connected properly with the Dynex extension cable...

(NOTE: Weird that that is the "right" gender can you actually connect the adapter directly to your TV?)

B

8. HappyDude20 thread starter macrumors 68020

HappyDude20

Yeash sorry the boot camp drivers..

the vizio tv supports that gender, connects right to the back.

9. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Have you run Apple Software Update to make sure you have the latest drivers?

Can you skip the Dynex cable and try it with just the Apple adapter connected directly to the TV? This will eliminate the cable as a source of the problem even if it might be hard to do logistically.

EDIT: You could also try the Nvidia drivers and replace the adapter/cable with one of these: http://www.monoprice.com/products/p...=10246&cs_id=1024605&p_id=6004&seq=1&format=2

B

10. HappyDude20 thread starter macrumors 68020

HappyDude20

The Nvidia driver just worked! Thank you so much! This was driving us crazy. :D:D:D:D:D:D