I can't imagine this not happening

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by floyde, Feb 15, 2011.

1. floyde macrumors 6502a

floyde

Well this is sort of funny right now, but I think that it is going to happen eventually. What's taking people so long anyways? Just thought I should share this:

Link

2. iStudentUK macrumors 65816

iStudentUK

It is a shame that so many issues that are on an almost inevitable course are still resisted so strongly. I can think of 3 big issues in the US that will eventually change- gay marriage, death penalty, right to bear arms.

3. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

What exactly will change about the last one? :confused::confused:

4. Don't panic macrumors 603

Don't panic

if you consider that mixed marriages faced very similar issues not too long ago, with similar reasoning, it is not a far-fetched scenario at all.
    it's just a matter of time.

5. iStudentUK macrumors 65816

iStudentUK

The US policy towards the death penalty and gun control are anachronisms. Most of the rest of the developed world have very different policies. Eventually the US will bring itself inline with the countries at a similar level of development. It is human nature played out on a national level- some countries make a bold move first, most others follow in time, a few resist for a while.

My bet is the death penalty will be the first to go but gun control will take longer.

Gay marriage is obviously making progress already, good news!

6. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

I agree the death penalty will eventually go (and good riddance), that said, the 2nd amendment is a political non-starter. You may see regulations put in place, but there will always be the right to have a gun in this country.

7. barkomatic macrumors 68040

I agree that the death penalty will go eventually. I think you need to clarify what you mean by "gun control". That can mean anything from requiring background checks to banning weapons altogether.

Hopefully, gay people will be able to marry in every state soon. However, I hope that domestic partnerships also remain an option for everyone.

8. iStudentUK macrumors 65816

iStudentUK

This is my point, it is going to take a while because it is ingrained in US minds. However, things will change, countries move on. Eventually your entire constitution will be rewritten. The 2nd amendment is already out of place in the 21st century and eventually having guns everywhere will become more embarrassing to the US and there will be a change.

Just look at homosexuality in the UK. Before 1861 homosexuality was punishable by death. When my great-grandparents were born homosexuality was viewed as evil. Homosexuality was still illegal when my parents were born (in 1952 Alan Turing was imprisoned when he should have been a national hero). 5 years ago we introduced civil partnerships. This week it appears the law will be amended to allow civil partnerships to take place in religious buildings.

9. 184550 Guest

Do you have any sources to back up this speculation? Or is it all just opinion?

I don't mean to be confrontational, I'm just curious as to what you're basing this train of thought on.

I find it odd that NT1440 and myself both live in the US, while you presumably, given your self described location, live in the UK, have not heard/ seen/ read/ whatever anything similar to what you've described.

10. iStudentUK macrumors 65816

iStudentUK

I don't want to hijack this thread, so maybe I'll start a new one as a couple of people are already interested!

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1097023

11. Liquorpuki macrumors 68020

Liquorpuki

I don't think a document which has defined a country since its inception will be rewritten in its entirety without the country first collapsing into anarchy.

And even though Sarah Palin likes to talk a lot about hunting, guns aren't everywhere here. The constitution just reserves people the right to own a gun.

12. Rt&Dzine macrumors 6502a

Rt&Dzine

Depending on the interpretation.

13. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

The right to bear arms in this country will never be revoked. There will be regulation, but you can bet it will never be revoked. That's headed in the opposite direction, not toward abolition of gun ownership.