I can't install Mountain Lion on my iMac 17" late 2006

Discussion in 'macOS' started by ThLDQ, Jan 17, 2017.

1. ThLDQ macrumors newbie

Good evening from France.
    I'm trying to install Mountain Lion on my late 2006 iMac 2Ghz Core 2 Duo / 3 Go RAM / Os X Lion.
    The ML installer and MPF are alltogether in the App folder and, when launched, MPF recognizes without any problem.
    The installation fails when I try to install directly or when I try by the USB.
    Directly : the MPF services services run OK, the iMAc reboots, the recovery is created, then it reboots again and it "cannot locate OSX installation packages". Even if I reboot with ALT press and I select the USB drive.
    USB (a multiple card reader with a micro 32 Go SD card) : at the reboot I select the flashdrive, but Lion starts again.
    My HDD has no partition (in fact it must have one, right ?), and my SD card has only one partition.
    What am I doing wrong ?
    Regards
    Thierry

2. Gregg2 macrumors 603

Where did the ML installer come from? The source might be the problem.

3. keysofanxiety macrumors 604

keysofanxiety

Your iMac is only officially supported up to 10.7 (Lion). It won't install beyond that.

Apologies if you already know this and you're looking for advice on how to workaround to 10.8; I wasn't too sure from your original post. :)

4. ThLDQ thread starter macrumors newbie

@Greggs2
    I don't really know, but not from an official Apple source (I can't find it). Anyway, I tried with Mavericks and Yosemite with the same result.
    @keysofanxiety
    I know that officially my iMac cannot run Mountain Lion or higher, that's why I try to install ML or higher by MacPostFactor.

5. Gregg2 macrumors 603

Well, then if you ever get it to work, it will be with great difficulty. That also means that no one on this site is going to advise you, as it violates forum policy. Legal ramifications, you understand, eh?

6. ThLDQ thread starter macrumors newbie

I was just kidding!
    Anyway MPF is hacking, isn't it ? SO it's illegal.... No ???
    I tried twice again today, either by MPF and by the "manual"way.
    I could not make it install.
    Thierry