I cant preorder iphone with AT&T Premier Account!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by CoriG, Sep 13, 2012.

1. CoriG macrumors 6502

I am one of the many that purchased the iphone 4s on launch day. I was planning on going the route of adding a second line and creating a family plan so that I could upgrade to the ip5 without paying the $250. I was under the impression that the only way I can take an individual account and add a line while preordering was on the AT&T website. I tried to do a "mock run" (try to add a line using ip4s) and I cannot get any iphone using att.com. I called premier customer service and they have no clue what is going on and "issued a ticket" and they should have an answer in 24-48 hours. I really want to pre order.

I tried to do the same thing with apple.com and it makes me choose a whole new plan. And I dont think I can do this using the apple store app

I have talked to a few ATT reps (ironically because I keep dropping calls) and nobody has a solution.

I would greatly appreciate any suggestions how I can still preorder the 5 tonight and do the phantom line?

Thank you for any help!!!

2. brand macrumors 601

brand

I'm not sure whats going on but I have ordered around 20 iPhone4s and 5 or so iPads in the past month through the AT&T Premiere site. Very strange indeed. I just go a new iPhone 4S for for work about 6 weeks ago and today my boss told me to order myself the iPhone 5. I was very surprised.

3. CBR900RR macrumors 6502a

I believe you need to open a new line 1st, and when the new phone arrive, you convert it to a family plan. That's how I did it last year with the 4s, it was written somewhere on the at&t site.

4. CoriG thread starter macrumors 6502

Thank you! So I can order it as a new phone and just choose any data, voice, and text plan and then call back when the phone arrives and have them port it into a family plan?

5. CBR900RR macrumors 6502a

Here you go

https://www.att.com/olam/passthroughAction.myworld?actionType=AddALine

6. CoriG thread starter macrumors 6502

7. cableguy619 macrumors 6502

There is no pricing difference from regualr store to premier for add line not that i notice. they removed the free activation so I dont think it will matter.

8. CBR900RR macrumors 6502a

9. snook911 macrumors 6502a

This is what I've been told too. What I plan on doing is starting the line with the least possible services I can. I will start it with the lowest voice and data plan and no texting. Since I am going to really not use this line anyway i should not matter. Once you get the phone I have been told to activate it and then take it too the at&t store to do the sim swap. Although I have read now that you should not activate so I will probably take it into the att store unactivated just in case.

10. CBR900RR macrumors 6502a

To OP, are you using the 2nd line to get the subsidize price for yourself

11. JadedRaverLA, Sep 13, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2012

JadedRaverLA macrumors member

I used to work for AT&T, so here's my advice.

Don't try that. It is technically correct, but it rarely works correctly, and I don't think Premier is going to show the iPhone 5 until morning.

EDITED TO ADD: This might work fine with standard consumer lines, but, from experience, the sort of "hybrid" consumer/business system that exists for IRU lines (individual lines tied to a corporate discount) screws this stuff up horribly.

This is the easiest way to do it by far. Assuming the system recognizes you as the same person (be sure to use the same address, social security number, etc), and allows you to order a phone as an "individual line," you'll be set. Once you have it activated, call 611 or go into a corp store and have them change your separate individual plans to a "family plan."

Essentially. As I said above, try to order it with the same account info as your existing line. If it comes in to someone else's name, it becomes a much bigger hassle to merge the lines as both "parties" have to approve, etc.

12. aloecool macrumors regular

I did the same exact thing you did with the iPhone4S launch (I also have a FAN account) and I did it through Apple's site.

13. CoriG thread starter macrumors 6502

Yes. That was the plan.

14. CBR900RR macrumors 6502a

I did the same last year too, but my wife do need the 2nd line.
    This is what I did last year, when new phone arrive

Remove the new sim and put in your old sim, activate the new phone

Insert the new sim to a dumb phone and activate the new line

Lock into olam and convert to family plan

Call ATT and request to remove data on new line

You won"t get charge a penny for the new data plan and new voice plan

15. CoriG thread starter macrumors 6502

Thank you so much!!

I do have a few questions:
    1) I preordered last night with a new line. How do I bring that new line in and port that into my account and make it a family plan? What about the new plans I signed up for?

What do you mean Lock into olam?

The only difference is I think I now have to go into a store on the 21st because I have to get a nanosim card. I would LOVE to figure out a way to not to go into a store on launch day. I preordered to avoid the madness. :(

16. CBR900RR macrumors 6502a

OLAM means online account management, once you lock In,you can convert it to family plan

17. Ken427 macrumors newbie

Hey brand can u send me ur contact info. Or pm me please