I can't restart or shutdown in Snow Leopard if other users are logged in. (Resolved)

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Civic Minded, Sep 1, 2009.

1. Civic Minded macrumors member

Civic Minded

This is a neat one. I found out last night that I cannot restart or shut down either of my Macs if my wife's account is still logged in. In order to perform either function, I have to log onto my wife's account and log it out before it will allow me to either restart or power down the computer. :confused:

If I try to do so while both accounts are logged in, I will get the usual prompt for an Admin name and password, but then it just won't go past that screen. The prompt just keeps coming up to enter the Admin info. Anyone else experiencing this, or have any recommendations?

I did an update install on both machines. I updated our iMac with a full retail copy, and the MBP I updated with an UTD disc. Perhaps doing a full erase and install is the answer? Or do you guys think it's just something buggy in SL?

Thanks for any help/info!

2. drjuice macrumors member

I just tried this with a test admin account I created and it worked fine for me; I'm not sure what could be causing the hang up. Is FileVault enabled?

3. Civic Minded thread starter macrumors member

Civic Minded

FileVault is not enabled. I made another admin account from scratch, and it allowed me to restart and power down the computer as I should be able to. But I still cannot from my other two accounts. Something got borked during the upgrade process it's starting to seem like. :(

4. Ooz Guest

Wait. How do you log into someone's account, without logging out of the current user's account??

If this is a feature, I am not aware of this. Infect, I thought this is one place where OS X was lagging from Windows (where you can truly have programs running for one user, while other user does something else) - like Switch Users.

Please enlighten!

5. Civic Minded thread starter macrumors member

Civic Minded

It's a feature called Fast User Switching and you can find the controls for it in the Accounts preferences pane in System Preferences. Click on Login Options and you should see it. :)

6. Civic Minded thread starter macrumors member

Civic Minded

I'm glad to say, if not just a little bit embarrassed that I didn't try this first, that the problem is solved.

Apparently now in SL you have to capitalize your name when ordering a reboot. In Leopard I would simply type my name lowercase and punch in the password and it would go. Now I have to type a capital "A" to make it work.:eek::eek::eek::eek:

Sigh.