I can't sleep…Does your iPhone help you unwind and sleep at night?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ET iPhone Home, May 18, 2014.

1. ET iPhone Home macrumors 68040

ET iPhone Home

2. Sym0 macrumors 6502

Sym0

My iPad gets the final read or video before I roll over to sleep. When I can't sleep late at night, I pull it out and see what's happening in the world.

3. Crichton333 macrumors 6502

Crichton333

Thats actually my routine also, it feels kinda natural and relaxing.

4. zipa macrumors 65816

TVs, tablets and phones are pretty much the worst thing for your sleep. That said, I often read my Kindle books on an iPad in bed as well.

5. kazmac macrumors 601

kazmac

I am a light sleeper, so they do not help me get to sleep.

6. Ann P macrumors 68020

Quite the opposite. My iphone and ipad keeps me awake!

7. Jessica Lares macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

I have two apps that I use - Dozzzer and Thunderspace.

Dozzzer will play your music at any given volume, and then slowly make it quieter, until the very end of your playlist. That way you can put on some music to sleep to, but won't wake up when it stops. There's an iPad version too for those who'd rather not wear headphones/earphones while sleeping.

Thunderspace is one of the newer ambient sounds apps I've been trying out. And I think it might be my last. It includes two sets of rainscapes to begin with, and they'll sell you the rest at $6.99 (for the moment). The cool thing is that it simulates lightning by flashing your iPhone's flashlight in time with it. Although I don't use that because it's just silly. Haha.

I usually fall asleep around 8/9PM though, so unless I wake up stupidly early (like 3AM), I don't use them.

I leave Reeder and e-mail for when I'm actually 100% awake. :D

8. AlabamaSlammer macrumors 6502

AlabamaSlammer

Same with me

9. mtneer macrumors 68020

mtneer

The blue tinged light emanating from computers/ phones does not let me sleep for quite a while after use. I had trouble even with blinking lights from my old desktop tower. I only recently installed flux on my MacBook Pro and that has helped me fall asleep relatively quickly after using the computer. The iPad and iPhone are still out.

10. magilla macrumors regular

I don't understand ... if you can't sleep, how will concentrating on the contents of an iFone help you to sleep? Increased neuronal activity does not increase seratonin levels in the human brain. If you're speaking of using an app that produces white noise or specialized "relaxing sounds" then I could say that yes, your iFone can help.

----------

What will the entire world do during/after the next Carrington level event?

11. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

Having it play music or white noise may help, but it's been proven that the screens emit the exact kind of light that our bodies interpret as "wake up" signals from the sun. Looking at smartphones makes it harder for you to fall asleep.

Not to say that I don't play with my phone before bed too, but I do know what it's doing to me when I do it.

12. ET iPhone Home thread starter macrumors 68040

ET iPhone Home

It seems that I'm now in the habit of needing either my iPhone or MBA to help me unwind before going to bed. Last night, I tried going to bed immediately. I tossed and turned. At about 1am, I got my iPhone, then my MBA, came here to post, and was able to finally doze off at 2am. I don't want to rely on these devices to get me to bed.

13. Technarchy macrumors 603

Technarchy

90% of the time I fall asleep reading on my phone. I wake up with it buried under pillows and blankets most days.

It helps me relax and ease in for the night.

14. I7guy macrumors G5

It may the emit a lot of blue light, but two minutes after reading stuff on the iphone I'm in sleepy land. Of course, it could be what I'm reading. (snore!)

15. Sym0 macrumors 6502

Sym0

Depends on the individual. I have two little kids and I could sleep standing up sometimes, so the private time I have reading or watching TV/Movies via itunes or other streaming sources is golden. But I fall asleep about 20mins in generally with a sharp bang on the nose as the iPad slaps me awake as I drop it.

16. njsapple2012 macrumors member

I find my dimming my iPhone's brightness and playing music I like (ending it after half an hour through the Timer app) helps me fall asleep.

17. ET iPhone Home thread starter macrumors 68040

ET iPhone Home

18. FallenAnjel macrumors member

I use an alarm clock app so my phone is always on my bed. reading on my phone ( or anything for that fact) makes me tired. On days off I will wake up, start catching up on Facebook and get tired so I'll fall asleep for another 30-40 minutes.

so, in answer to your question, reading my phone helps me fall asleep. ;)

19. Delorean2006 macrumors 6502a

to be honest, its not my iphone but more of my ipad that does if for me, i have a little table next to my bed that is perfect distance and height and put on a show on netflix and makes me drowsy enough with the lights off and i fall right to sleep

20. ALMF macrumors regular

I have an audio books app on my ipad. I download free books and go to sleep with someone (audio book reader) reading to me.

21. nburwell macrumors 68040

nburwell

Download the Sleep Genius app.

Once I'm in bed, my phone is placed on DND until my alarm for work goes off at 6:30 the next morning.

22. EvilQueen macrumors 6502

I go to sleep with my headphones in and some documentary running from youtube. Those are usually monotone people talking and it helps me fall to sleep.

+1 if it's Carl Segan

23. ET iPhone Home thread starter macrumors 68040

ET iPhone Home

Are there any nature apps that anyone can recommend, you know, like those nightstand clocks, that can play "shallow streams of water running, birds tweeting, and light rain showers?

24. JayMarcel macrumors newbie

My iphone is the biggest disturber at night :cool: I just can't keep myself from peaking into the screen and spying on the world around me :D

25. magilla macrumors regular

Of course, you could always consume about 2-3 glasses of your favorite drink THEN let your iFone play sounds of streams of water running or quiet rainfalls and see how much sleep you get. 'Course, you'd prolly have to outfit your bed with waterproof rubber bedsheets.:rolleyes: