I can't type! What changed?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by noobinator, Oct 21, 2012.

1. noobinator macrumors 601

Ever since getting my iphone 5 I have had nothin but problems trying to type. I had small typing issues previously but now I'm totally horrible. Is it the 4" screen? Is it something in ios6? Anyone else having issues? Unfortunately auto correct usually makes it worse.

2. sundog925 macrumors 6502a

Um, the screen isnt any wider, so it must be you.
    Try typing in landscape mode if you don't like portrait.

3. jeremiah239 macrumors 6502a

jeremiah239

It's iOS 6 I had the same problem on my 4S and now on my iP5.

4. Mr.C macrumors 601

I doubt it's the phone or iOS 6. I've not had any such problems with my iPad and iPhone 4S on iOS 6 or my iPhone 5.

5. Megalobyte macrumors 6502a

I'm fidnig it hdrer to...see? :)

Seriously though, I am for some reason.

6. raziel101 macrumors member

raziel101

I've had the same problem on iOS 6 for my 4S and now 5. I think sometime the letter I touch doesn't seem to respond. I have far less issues with my friend 4S running iOS 5.

7. J4B3 macrumors regular

J4B3

I believe this was answered in another thread. The conclusion is that iOS learns your typing behavior over time and adapts to the way you type and words you use. iOS 6 and a new iPhone involves learning that behavior all over again even if you restored from a backup.

8. jeremiah239 macrumors 6502a

jeremiah239

It's iOS 6 there was a big thread about it on here somewhere.

I have never had problems before installing ios 6 on my iPhone 4S. But just after installing the GM the typing problems started. All my friends whith iPhones on iOS 6 complain about it.

I'm also experiencing the same typing problems on my iPhone 5.

Good you're not having problems though!

9. MacBreezy macrumors regular

Same here. Letters not responding and autocorrect really makes it worse. I know the built the screen differently. I think an all in one display ( no layers) to keep the phone thin has something to do with it. I have to be much more precise when I type than before.

10. lelisa13p macrumors 68000

lelisa13p

The thread's in the iOS 6 forum.

11. sch11 macrumors member

I've been having the exact same issue. It's not just with typing, either -- all small controls seem very unresponsive. I have to double-press way more than I ever had to on the 3GS, the fourth generation touch or the iPad. It's very annoying. I thought it might have something to do with how I was holding the device (no joke - I actually thought I was holding it wrong), but after a few more days, I'm beginning to think it's the screen, not me.

12. YaBoiD macrumors regular

YaBoiD

No, iOS6 software just isn't keeping up with my keystrokes. Sometimes it's as if the multitouch feature isn't functioning properly. Hopefully the next update will address this bug.

13. aztooh macrumors 6502a

Ummm holding it in landscape orientation (mode? lol) it IS wider. He didn't state if he had the problems while in portrait or landscape or even both. That's a question that should have been asking before offering up the advice you gave.

14. MrMacBookPro macrumors 6502

also seems like the boxes are a tad smaller on the iphone 5 than the 4s..

15. jeremiah239 macrumors 6502a

jeremiah239

Thank you!

16. Mrbobb macrumors 601

Lay off the booze. ;)

17. lelisa13p macrumors 68000

lelisa13p

You're welcome. :) I was interested in reading the thread, too.

18. pnoyblazed macrumors 6502a

that swipe to text feature looks pretty good right about now

19. cababah macrumors 68000

Call me crazy but I think the new "in cell" technology is to blame for the change in touch sensitivity and accuracy compared to the older iPhones that had a separate digitizer.

20. onthecouchagain macrumors 604

onthecouchagain

You know what's bizarre?

I've always felt the iOS keyboard was best during the iPhone 3GS days. I don't know what it was. It was just more reliable and more responsive.

I hated the keyboard during the 4S. Something about it got slower, less responsive, less reliable, and auto correct went to hell. I always coughed it up to my imagination (that the 3GS was better at typing) but it could be that expectations are now higher with competition offering better typing experiences (like Swiftkey)?

Haven't typed extensively on an iPh 5 yet, but I've always thought the iOS keyboard was pretty bad since iOS 5, maybe earlier.

----------

And for what it's worth, the keyboard is pretty bad on my iPad 3rd Gen too. Both on iOS 5 and 6. Constantly misses letters.

21. kockgunner macrumors 68000

kockgunner

It's the same as my iPhone 4 where the keyboard doesn't catch all the strokes and theres enough of a delay between press and visual/audio feedback that typing doesn't feel immediate. It has been a problem with the iOS keyboard after iOS 3 or 4.

I was really excited to get the iPhone 5 because my friend's keyboard seemed hyper-responsive.

22. Ahonen macrumors 6502

Ahonen

I have noticed a difference in landscape mode. I mostly just use portrait mode because the longer screen just allows me to see so much of the text. I still have a love-hate relationship with auto-correct. Sometime I want to turn the damn thing off but honestly I know I can be sloppy with my typing because most of the time it gets it right.

23. jk4lebron23 macrumors 65816

jk4lebron23

I suck so bad at typing on my iP5 it's not even funny :(

24. Brettka7 macrumors regular

It's iOS6. Re-evaluate in a week or two which phone is better.