I can't unscrew the screw on the black hard drive bracket. Bastards use cheap screws.

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by El Burro, Sep 11, 2009.

1. El Burro macrumors regular

El Burro

So I upgraded my macbook pro from the 160 gb hitachi 5400 rpm hard drive to the 500 GB Western Scorpio Blue 5400 rpm hard drive, and I got everything installed and running correctly.

BUT NOW that damn little screw that mounts the removable bracket on top of the hard drive (the one closest to the superdrive) is damaged (the top part where you put the screwdriver on lost its shape thanks to it being shaved as it was being turned), so I can't remove it if I ever want to in the future (i.e. if I want to remove the 500 gb and place it in an enclosure).

I can't use pliers because they're way too big (unless there are those that can are miniature and can fit between that tiny space about 1 mm from the plastic and the screw on each side).

If they didn't raise the plastic around that particular problem spot, it woudl have been easier to place plyers from above but I can't.

I've tried hair tweezers to grip it and they fit between that space in between but it keeps on slipping.

I've also tried a nail clipper but no good.

At least the good news is that my 500 GB new hard drive is in there and working (its in there snug that's for sure!)

But now if I ever want to take it out, I can't!

P.S.
    Also, I saw how the battery was installed in the macbook, and they said that you can't remove the battery otherwise it voids the warranty apparently?

I mean come on, it really isn't that difficult to unplug it and replace it. I don't see why the hard drive and RAM can be replaced without voiding warranty but changing the battery does.

Personally, I think as Apple gains more market share, their quality of service is going down...

2. velocityg4 macrumors 68040

velocityg4

If you ever do need to remove just get a cheap Philips head for glasses #00. Dab some superglue on the tip then place it on the screw until it sets up. Then try removing it. It should come off unless you really torqued it on or crossthreaded it.

I'm surprised you had this problem. I have not yet had this happen to me on any I have repaired.

3. El Burro thread starter macrumors regular

El Burro

Thanks for the tip about superglue + #00 phillips head for glasses

maybe i crossthreaded it, but i don't think i did -- what happens is that when i put the screwdriver tip on the screw head and twist, it doesn't "stick" to it and ends up grinding the screw head's shape.

If I can't get it off using the superglue (can I use krazy glue by any chance?), what other options do you guys recommend?

Also, I've never had a problem before with screws --- apparently a few other people have complained about the same problem with this --- coincidentally on the same spot too, but nobody ever answered their questions, so that's why i asked.

4. Theclamshell macrumors 68030

its only a 2k comp what screws do you expect!?!?!!? lol jk you have probobaly tried this but pust down really hard on the screw and twist that usually works for me

5. techound1 macrumors 68000

techound1

I've found that a torx head (which has more wings than a phillips and therefore more of a chance to grab) can sometimes work where a philly can't. Grab a $20 precision driver set from a good hardware store and you should have a lot of head options to try (and a nice set of drivers for when it happens again...).

6. silentnite macrumors 6502a

silentnite

First thing first when messing around with an HDD install for these Mac Book pro hard drives. You need the proper tools for the job. Not sure what you used but a 2.0 MM precision phillip screw driver & a T6 torque screwdriver usually does the job.

Yes, you could be right the screws in these things can give you a problem. I have heard of this more then once. Now here goes the tricky part try and go to your local Home depot or Loews and ask for a tool called the dremel this is the only small tool that may give you a chance to drill the screw. Dremels have an assortment of small drill bits etc. Also ask about a screw extractor. Another thing to try is an allen set they come with an assortment of sizes, try out all these things in steps, starting with the allen set first. Just take your time & work with it. You may get lucky. Also keep in mind if your not comfortable with any of the above. (JUST LEAVE IT):confused:

7. ITASOR macrumors 601

ITASOR

Can you slit the top of the screw and get it out with a flathead screw driver?

8. velocityg4 macrumors 68040

velocityg4

Where you just using a fine point screwdriver with a regular size handle. It sounds like you were not using the correct size Philips head.

As my #00 Philips fits those screws perfectly nearly as well as a Torx bit with Torx screws.. A #0 Philips works but has a lot of slippage since it does not fit the grooves perfectly.

The only other option for removal is to use a fine drill bit. The mount is just a clean hole. The screw only screws into the main chassis. Once the head is drilled of you can remove the bracket and remove the shaft with some needle nose pliers.

9. steveOooo macrumors 6502a

i too have had the same issue with the exact same screw. After using a £2 phillips, i wore away a bit the metal, so decided to buy a eronus (?) bit driver kit - which was £10 - very big hadle and thick drills - i managed to get the screw on the right out, but the left i just kept going and now its a clean hole iver created - woops!

I totally give up - not going to drill anywhere on my mbp! its a 320gb for a 500gb - not really worth the potential to drill a hole in the com!

Will be sending the 500gb drive back for a refund - unless theres some other tips? perhaps if i just keep screwing down it will create a hole? i dont think super glue will be strong enough? its in there pretty strong

10. skye12 macrumors 65816

skye12

Those screws can be pesky. Both me and a friend have had stubborn screws
    on both the MB "L" bracket and the mounting screws on a MBP HD.

You can get a good 00 and 000 Phillips at any Sears. Be careful because you never know which size they used. You can tell if the 00 isn't small enough.

My buddy (a contractor) actually got so frustrated he got out his Dewalt drill
    and drilled out the screw. He then used a magnet to pick up any shavings.
    He got his new 7200 rpm drive in there and just left out the one not so important screw.