I changed a jpg file to jpeg but it won’t upload to a website

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jpegp, Mar 17, 2015.

1. jpegp macrumors newbie

It’s an online application and I have to choose the image file, and the image file was originally a jpg but I changed it by adding the extension jpeg to the end, because it said on the page that "The file must be in a jpeg format.”

But when I tried to proceed to the next step it says, "The file must be in a jpeg format”

2. Bending Pixels macrumors 65816

Did you just rename the file, or use a program like Photoshop or something else to change the format? It sounds like the image wasn't originally saved as a JPEG.

3. redheeler macrumors 603

redheeler

The .jpg and .jpeg extentions both refer to the JPEG image format, although the image may not be properly transcoded in the JPEG format. The easiest thing to do would be to simply export it to JPEG using Preview.

4. Cmd-Z macrumors 6502

Cmd-Z

The .jpeg and .jpg extensions are identical, where the shorter .jpg is required for certain OS's (i.e. older versions of Windows). But the formats are identical and you can change extensions with no trouble.

Check to make sure the file is not corrupted, and when you renamed your file make sure you didn't drop the "." ;-)

5. Flac macrumors regular

Thanks, I tried uploading without changing the extension and it uploaded fine.