I completely disagree with people moaning about iPad 4 announcement

Discussion in 'iPad' started by skillwill, Oct 29, 2012.

1. skillwill macrumors regular

I keep reading about iPad 3 customers being "pissed" at Apple for releasing a new iPad after just seven months. Some have even gone as far as saying they are owed compensation!!
    Compensation? For what??? Buying an incredible product that, albeit now a previous generation, is still ahead of the rest? Apple have every right to release a new iPad every day if they want. When you buy an iPad you know that what you buy will, in advertising terms at least, be "old" in a few months but also that it will still be running software 2/3 years from now. I made the same mistake falling for it upgrading from iPhone 4 to iPhone 4S noticing virtually NO difference. The iPad 4 is what "twice as fast" as iPad 3 - but when something loads in half a second anyway it doesn't matter. iPad 3 users should stop whining be happy that they HAVE AN iPad and maybe get an iPad 5 when that comes out.

2. ghsNick, Oct 29, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 29, 2012

ghsNick macrumors 68020

ghsNick

Apple has been on a yearly (just about) upgrade with all their products. So for a company to upgrade 6 months later is very upsetting to some. Imagine if Ford released the 2012 Mustang 6 months ago and then 6 months later came out with a revised 2012 model or the 2013 model and discontinued the one that came out months earlier. I guarantee you people would be upset. I'm not justifying them being upset but I can definitely see where they're coming from.

3. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

So to keep them from being upset companies should withhold upgrades too soon? :confused:

They could upgrade every month for all I care. I'll buy the one I want and upgrade when I want. I don't care what other people do. I'd be happy with monthly upgrades so we don't have to wait a whole year. This thing about people getting "upset" over an inanimate object and whether it was upgraded too soon or not is quite silly.

4. comatose81 macrumors 6502a

Let's get one thing straight: Apple can do whatever the hell they want. You may not like it, but they can.

It's YOUR job as a consumer to speak with your wallet. If you're pissed, then don't upgrade your device. Don't do it now, and don't do it when the iPad 5 comes out. That's the only thing a company cares about - how much money they are making/how many units they are selling.

Unfortunately, the vast majority of dedicated Apple users like to complain about everything the company does and then proceed to upgrade every time a new device comes out. With that logic, what is stopping Apple from doing 3 month upgrade cycles?

5. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

As an iPad 3 owner I couldn't care less about the iPad 4. My options are to upgrade and sell the iPad 3, take that loss plus shell out more for the new cables. I have three places in my house that use the "old" cables and I'm not about to spend somewhere around $100 for 3 more. I don't have the iPhone 5 so for me, I think waiting to upgrade both is key. I also am on a 2-year upgrade cycle of the iPad. I find that I am paying a premium for this Apple product and I have other obligations in life that would otherwise prevent spending like that.

I'm not pissed. I think the people with an iPad 3 who are pissed are lucky. If that is the only thing that truly outrages them then I want their life.

6. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

Yeah, and I think they've been parceling out the upgrades as well. No camera on the ipad1, crappy ones on the 2, one good one on the 3, and two decent ones on the 4.

Let's not even talk about RAM.

ZBoater hit the nail on the head. Buy what you what when you need it. I applaud you, Sir!

7. ProudLoz macrumors regular

I was upset at first, but then I started to really think about it. The only updates the new iPad 4th Generation has over the 3rd Generation, is the Lightning port and the A6 chip. An updated from Facetime camera was also announced, but I currently don't Facetime enough to justify a purchase of $699 again. Sure, the speed increase looks nice, but it's not enough to buy a brand new iPad all over again.

I'll wait. I'm just wondering if Apple will do incremental updates from now on, now that I believe they have "perfected" the iPad.

8. glen e macrumors 68030

9. rrl macrumors 6502

rrl

If I was an iPad 3 owner I would be pissed. The iPad 4 is going to be the experience people were expecting from their 3. Apple knows they missed the right combination of components with the 3, and that's why we're seeing this bizarre early release cycle. Apple seems to be playing some stupid game where they're trying to preserve the iPhone as the flagship iOS device, and thus they've been holding back processor technology from the device that needs it more. They need to flip that thinking.

10. urkel macrumors 68030

I dont get it. If someone says something you oppose then why the heck would you create a whole new thread to respond to them? No offense, but NOTHING new has been said about the topic since it first started so each new thread just regurgitation of the samepoints and counterpoints.

The way I see this whole situation is that its a lesson in trust for iOS users. We've already gone through this on the Mac side where products often do get updated twice a year (or sometimes skip a year). And now it's iOS consumers turn because we now can no longer trust Apple to offer products on annual schedules. It sucks because there was a huge convenience to know when our iPads were due for a refresh but now we know how Apple will handle things on the iOS side and we'll deal with it.

11. mrkjsn macrumors 6502

I'm not really upset about the whole situation because I love my iPad 3 as much as the day I bought it but I think it's not a case where Apple should withhold upgrades but instead doing a better job of planning their upgrade cycles. People are starting to get the sense that Apple is really milking their fans by releasing 3S, 4S, iPad 3 versions of their products. Drop the mid-cycle shenanigans and let their loyal customers feel good about the products they bought for a year. This is the main reason why I'm holding off on purchasing the iPad mini. I can see them releasing a retina version with an upgraded chip in 6 months time.

12. rockyroad55 macrumors 601

rockyroad55

Oh well. I just bought an iPad 3 for $200 and I'm pretty happy. Sure I have an iPhone 5 and it would be nice to have an iPad with lightning but its not like my iPad automatically stops working.

13. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

Sorry, but this is not how a multi-billion dollar technology company conducts business. What you call shenanigans are more likely decisions based on market pressures, available technology, etc. To adscribe nefarious intent to Apple on the timing of their releases is silly. They release what they can when they can to get as much money as they can. I wouldnt doubt they've made some business decision to withhold something (Siri anyone) for Marketing purposes, but Apple doesn't operate in a vacuum. There are competitors they need to keep their eye on. So they released the iPad 3 as soon as they thought they could, but it missed a couple of things (A6X, lightning). They are releasing the iPad 4 now because they are trying to head off the Nexus 10. This is more about marketing and keeping ahead of the competition and less about helping people feel good about their purchases by letting them feel they bought something that isn't outdated in less than a year...

14. mrkjsn macrumors 6502

Again, this falls within the scope of better planning for product releases. No one's saying Apple should hold back but to simply release what now everyone feels like is a half *** attempt of a product also hurts Apple in the long run. The bitterness from iPhone 4S and now the iPad 3 will have an effect on how people purchase Apple products and ultimately this will affect Apple's sales and image. Instead of setting breaking records for each product they release, what you will now see are people carefully assessing whether the products Apple released are the "real" versions of it. How do I know? Well, as an Apple consumer, this is precisely the lesson I've learned. I'm not bitter about the iPad 3 but I sure as heck will not be purchasing the iPad mini right now because it will not be long before Apple releases an iPad mini with retina and spec bump. Apple is milking their customers with each marketable idea. Siri, Retina, and now size. Maybe the rest of the world will still get sucked in the same marketing but people in here are starting to wise up.