I connected macbook pro to a tv display and tv is still blank...

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by stunterik, May 16, 2009.

1. stunterik macrumors newbie

I have a new macbook pro. I am trying to use my tv as a display. Here is my current setup:
    Mini DisplayPort to DVI Adapter
    to
    DVI-D M to DVI-D F Adapter
    to
    DVI to Video Adapter
    to
    S-Video cable
    to
    TV

The computer shows everything to be working properly but the tv is a black screen and doesn't show anything. I do have it set to the correct input. I don't have a VGA connection to my tv and I don't really want to get HDMI. I also tried using an RCA Video cable instead of the S-Video cable and still no workie. I need this for a presentation so the tv will have to mirror my computer. I set it for that and it still won't show. Any suggestions?

2. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

Did you try fiddling around the system preferences>displays options?

3. toolbox macrumors 68020

toolbox

Under the monitors options in display preferences there will be a option to detect displays.

4. stunterik thread starter macrumors newbie

I did look into display options. When I deactivate "mirror" my windows are scattered. Some on my computer and (looking into display preferences) it show some are on the tv display but still the tv is black screen.

5. stunterik thread starter macrumors newbie

I hit "detect displays" and nothing happens. It already looks like it detects it though.

I'm wondering if it's an issue with my tv but this set up should work shouldn't it?

6. toolbox macrumors 68020

toolbox

What happens if you turn the laptop on and then shut the lid straight away? Does the tv pick it up then?

if you turn the machine on then automatically shut the lid the mac will try and output to a monitor

7. stunterik thread starter macrumors newbie

I shut the lid and the tv did not pick up. I tried that before and one time the computer would not wake up after opening the lid again.

Under mac help it said to connect an external mouse and keyboard then shut the lid and hit any key on the keyboard to wake the computer up. Unfortunately I don't have an external keyboard and my external mouse won't wake the computer up.

8. toolbox macrumors 68020

toolbox

It is possible too with all those converters you have there that the signal is being lost I take it the tv doesn't support vga / dvi?

9. stunterik thread starter macrumors newbie

That's what I was thinking. Too many adapters.

My tv doesn't support vga or dvi. only hdmi and hdv components but my xbox has laid claim to those.

I suppose I should try a mini dvi to vga then a vga to hdmi, component or whatever I can find?

Or this is a great excuse to buy a new tv.

10. toolbox macrumors 68020

toolbox

Yeah a new tv would be better. Have you had a look for DVI to hdmi converters?

11. stunterik thread starter macrumors newbie

I found a dvi to hdmi cable and it works perfectly. So my setup now is a mini display to dvi adapter to a dvi to hdmi cable.

It ran me $30 for the mini display adapter at frys and $45 for the cable also at frys. The other adapters I had I returned and got my extra $30 back. Yeah sure who want's to spend that much on adapters and cables but now it's easier for me to connect to tvs and projectors at work when giving presentations and easier when using final cut now that I have an additional monitor. Also playing world of warcraft is bigger and louder!

I'm sure I might have been able to find these parts for less somewhere but I didn't have enough time to look.

Thanks for all the help!

12. toolbox macrumors 68020

toolbox

You're welcome. Glad to here you got a result