I consume a whole lot of Sugar......

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by SamIchi, Jan 31, 2008.

1. SamIchi macrumors 68030

SamIchi

I kind of knew this but I think I might start cutting back. In my coffee or tea I put so much sugar it's like melted coffee ice cream. I drink a lot of juice, I love fruit snacks, and whenever there's chocolate, I'll be sure it's gone. Not very good, not very good at all. I'd say this is my weak spot when it comes to my diet.

*shakes head at self*

2. tefleming macrumors 6502

admitting a problem is the first step towards solving it.

you just have to cut it out and eventually you will miss it less and less.

3. Stampyhead macrumors 68020

Stampyhead

Yay, acceptance of a problem is the first step to overcoming it. :) I can imagine once you're hooked it can be a hard habit to break. Refined sugar is almost like a drug, the way you get that high when it spikes your blood sugar. To help strengthen your resolve, here are some good reasons to cut back:
    1. Sugar weakens the enamel on your teeth making them more susceptible to decay.
    2. Similar to #1, sugar also weakens your bones making you an easy target for things like osteoporosis.
    3. The constant spikes in your blood sugar are very bad for your body, and will most likely lead to diabetes at some point in your life.
    4. Refined sugar has a lot of calories, so the more you eat the more likely your body is to put on fat.
    There are probably more reasons, but that's all I can think of for the moment. Fresh fruit is a great substitute for fruit juice and fruit snacks. I've also been told that taking chromium (a mineral supplement) can help cut the cravings for sweets. It will be hard at first, but if you can get yourself weaned off it your body will eventually stop craving it. Good luck!

4. eric55lv Guest

eric55lv

I have a lot of suger to thast why I'm always hyper even if I have not had had some for a week

5. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

Consuming a lot of sugar certainly isn't a good thing to do from a health point of view, but in itself it doesn't make you any more susceptible to developing diabetes.

6. gadgetgirl85 macrumors 68040

gadgetgirl85

7. themadchemist macrumors 68030

themadchemist

Might help to replace the sugary foods with healthy foods that you enjoy. Instead of a fruit snack (which I assume is processed), maybe you could try a fresh fruit you really like?

8. ezekielrage_99 macrumors 68040

ezekielrage_99

I hope it's also the last step as well.

9. juanm macrumors 65816

juanm

Start replacing sugar with sweetner, and sodas with diet drinks would be your next step. It doesn't taste the same, but after a couple of weeks you'll get used to it, really.
    You should also monitorize how much sugar, chocolate and sweets you eat over a week.

10. themadchemist macrumors 68030

themadchemist

Now that's the spirit! ;)

11. Lone Deranger macrumors 65816

Lone Deranger

Check the foods you buy for their nutritional breakdowns.
    You'll be amazed (shocked) how much sugar in one form or another gets added to nearly everything you buy.
    Breakfast cereals probably being the worst of the lot (and not just the ones coated in honey or chocolate).
    Particularly as they always get advertised as being super healthy for you.... right... :rolleyes:

If you are worried about what all that sugar does to your body (take care of that pancreas while it still works properly),
    read up on the subject of the glycemic index and the glycemic load.

12. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Yes, I can tell by your post and lack of punctuation. Slooooooow doooooown.

13. themadchemist macrumors 68030

themadchemist

Abstract's above post seconded. Also, I don't really know how eating a lot of sugar is going to make you hyper a week later.

14. jaydub macrumors 6502a

jaydub

When I was a kid, kids who were "hyper" were just sent outside. We ate sugar and burned it all off. :D

I didn't previously eat very many sugary things, but lately I've been having snacks now and then and I feel the difference.

15. letsgorangers macrumors 6502

You can cut your juice with water to make your own flavored water. Or add fruit juice to sparking water to make a fruity soda. Moderation is the key.

Can't help you with the fruit snacks, as I love them as well. Maybe only eat them as a treat? Just as you would with candy or something.

16. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

And now we have Wii Fit.

Knowing this makes life a whole lot sweeter, doesn't it?

17. biturbomunkie macrumors 6502a

sugar can really get addictive. while i don't really have a sweet tooth, i used to eat a banana whenever i needed a boost. then i soon found myself downing 4-6 bananas everyday. :eek:

you might wanna try cottage cheese + sugar substitute + vanilla extract + fresh fruits. my friend said that it helped a lot when he was trying to curb his sugar cravings.

18. SpooledupRacing macrumors member

I am currently trying to lose weight and since Nov I have lost 21lbs.. I just figure that if u eat less, better QUALITY food (not quality as in brand but homemade burger over mcd's)

As for sugars coffee, tea and soda is a HUGE contributor to bad physical health and removing them from your diet can and will help to pull off a few lbs.

stick with it you will feel better in little time.

19. schreck macrumors regular

This is depressing. First semester away at school, and I've had some problems with eating some crappy dining centre food. I exercise much less frequently than I used too, and I know I need to begin to work out more often.

That said, I haven't really gained any weight. I just don't feel healthy/don't have the muscle that I had. Of course, I have gained fat which has leveled out my weight from decreased muscle mass to increased fat percentage. Damn.

20. tennisplaayer11 macrumors member

As a former sugar addict here are some tips that can help.

Soda=bad. I once saw a bottle of soda that had over 60g of sugar in one bottle!
    Water is really the best thing, but since you like fruit juice, you could look for low-sugar juice and then gradually make the transition into water.
    Look for foods (like fruits) that taste sweet but don't have that much sugar in it.

When I found out about the dangers of too much sugar I became a total health nut. The first week or so is the hardest, but after that, it becomes a daily routine and it's easy to get through the day without consuming excessive amounts of sugar.

Also, once you have established an eating/drinking plan and can stick to it, there's nothing wrong with having a little bit of chocolate every now and then.

Hope I helped.

21. Iscariot macrumors 68030

Iscariot

I actually cured my sweet tooth by going on a sugar binge. Suffer through a week or two of nothing but sugar highs and sugar crashes, coupled with the knowledge that it's the sugar making you so down and listless, and you won't want it anymore.

I only consume sweets on special ocassions now.