I cracked my iPhone glass yesterday, going to the Apple store later today...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by pintnight, Jun 14, 2008.

1. pintnight macrumors 6502

How much does will it cost me to get a replacement? I have the 8GB. What can I do to make sure that Apple destroy the data on the iPhone if I decide to pay to get a new replacement?

And this just had to happen 4 weeks until the new iPhone 3G is going to come out.

2. aristobrat macrumors G4

$249 is the normal Apple replacement cost. You'll walk out with a refurbished unit (vs. having to wait for yours to be repaired).

Your data question is hard to answer. If you buy a replacement, you can clear the data yourself by going into Settings > General > Reset > Erase All Content and Settings.

Having said that, the news from the last few weeks is that your data is still recoverable by anyone that uses a special program to look at the bits and bytes on the iPhone. I'd assume that Apple keeps your device out of the hands of people that can do that.

3. pintnight thread starter macrumors 6502

I knew that the data is still there if you do the "Erase All Content and Settings" and why I was worried about just giving them my broken one. I rather keep it and then I can do a hard erase by jail breaking it. I was hoping that Apple had something that they can plug the iPhone in to really destroy the data.

4. guru_ck macrumors 6502

Here's what you want to do:

1) Buy a cheap phone on CraigsList
    2) Sell your broken iPhone on eBay (I sold my 4GB for $220 with a cracked screen)
    3) Buy the new iPhone on July 11th

5. christall109 macrumors 6502

Why don't you just wait 4 weeks for the 3G? It will cost $50 less plus you can keep your old iPhone securing its data. You can just take the iPhone's SIM out in the mean time.

6. pintnight thread starter macrumors 6502

I'll probably just keep the cracked screen and I was going to buy the new iPhone 3G anyway. The phone still work just fine with the glass cracked.

7. pintnight thread starter macrumors 6502

Wow, somebody really do want to buy a cracked screen?! I think I will sell it on eBay and hope for the best.

8. pintnight thread starter macrumors 6502

Here's the picture of the cracked phone, was it this bad?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The rest of the pictures.

9. Eric Lewis macrumors 68020

Eric Lewis

pay the $249 for a new one

then sell it on Ebay/craigslists for $400-500

take profit from selling

and buy a new 3G iPhone

10. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

Note:

The "repair" prices are supposed to have dropped all around by $50 recently. (I haven't checked personally.) So 8GB should be $200.

FWIW, I agree with everyone else. It makes no sense to spend $$ on a replacement instead of getting the new model (as long as you can afford the contract difference).

11. marcizzle333 macrumors newbie

i cracked my iphone back in February and i went to the store and they told me that "there was nothing they could do with a cosmetically broken phone" but that i could buy a refurbished for $250 but i thought that was crazy so i left furious with a broken phone still. I later that week decided to call APPLe number and after a 2 hour conversation with different people telling each one my story they decided to send me a BRAND NEW IPHONE with all shipping cost on them. So within a week they had gaven me a brand new iphone all on them! :)

12. NiroshanMan macrumors 6502

all of them? you got more than one iPhone? or did they all agree to finally send you one?

13. Mason1 macrumors member

14. Mason1 macrumors member

:rolleyes:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

You think each person sent him a phone? are you kidding me???? :confused:

He meant each person kept sending him to a new person.. jeez

15. guru_ck macrumors 6502

16. Marvin1379 macrumors 6502

What happened to it that it cracked?

17. pintnight thread starter macrumors 6502

It was Friday the 13th!! I was walking up to my friend's house stairs and my phone slipped out of my hands, one corner where the glass hit the corner of the brick steps, the iPhone bounced up and flipped over to the other side of the glass corner and hit the corner of the brick steps on the lower step. So, I got a double hit on the corner of the glass on the edge of the brick steps.

All I could was watch the iPhone falling down and hit the steps. :(