I darkened and treated my Apple Red Classic Buckle band

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by i3s3d01, Oct 7, 2016.

1. i3s3d01 macrumors member

Apple's red classic buckle was always one of my favorite bands, but I always felt it was about two shades too bright. I wanted a deeper, more saturated red. I achieved this with several treatments of neatsfoot oil. After a few days I gave it few treatments with Eco-Flo Super Sheen to really lock that saturated deep red in. I'm very pleased with the result paired with my Hermes 42mm series 2.

Here are some photos of it now that it's done. Sorry I don't have a "before" photo for comparisons sake, but anyone who has the band will see the difference - it's a very bright and almost "soft red" color out of the box.

Here are some finished images.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. Floris macrumors 68020

Floris

3. Thai macrumors 6502a

Thai

I don't think that the "treatments" have done the leather any favors...the creases in the leather do not seem healthy....

4. bandrews macrumors 6502a

That's the texture of the leather - my marine blue classic buckle looks the same - without treatment - but the brown is smooth.

5. i3s3d01 thread starter macrumors member

This. Apples classic buckles are textured.

6. Thai macrumors 6502a

Thai

I understand...and i have had black CB too..but the textured seems really rough esp near the lug connector where there is stress...maybe it is the picture angle.

7. i3s3d01 thread starter macrumors member

Possibly the angle. It just looks normal to me in actual use. I don't have a huge concern though using products on leather that are designed to be used on leather.

8. Thai macrumors 6502a

Thai

Off-topic, many moons ago, a detailer for Lexus told me that using leather conditioners etc. are useless on car leather because they are treated and coated at factory. So, using these agents are useless and may do more harm esp if it damages the coating etc..

Then recently, at LV where my wife got a new purse, the expert there who was conditioning old purses told me that please do not touch these leathers with aftermarket stuff. She has to fix the damage from these 3rd party conditioners often.

They could be blowing smoke up my butt, but i stay away from using any 3rd party agents on any leather. My 2 cents.

9. bunnicula macrumors 68040

bunnicula

Go ask a custom leather shop what to use and they won't tell you that you have to have them do it for you. ;)