I decided to buy a Crucial 256GB SSD for my 2010 MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Alexjones, Aug 12, 2011.

1. Alexjones macrumors 6502

Two questions.. Will this increase the life of my MBP and what are the types of Phillips screwdrivers i need?

2. Jazwire macrumors 6502a

Jazwire

Yes it will increase your life, it did on my '11 quite noticeably.

Not sure on the philips size, they are pretty small, I just have a small "jewelers set with 5 sizes".

However you will need a #6 torx bit., that is the one thats a bit tricky, I was lucky enough to track down the bit in a set at radio shack. But is not a common size when it comes to just finding one anywhere.

3. squeakr macrumors 68000

squeakr

Home Depot sells a small screwdriver with multiple tips (about 6 or 8 that store in the handle). It is a Husky brand (their house brand) and it has everything that you will need for the project, the torx tip and the philip's tip. It is less than $10.

4. Alexjones, Aug 12, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2011

Alexjones thread starter macrumors 6502

I want to do a clean install of SL using the DVD that came with the machine. Do i just install the SSD and then insert the Snow leopard disk or are there further steps i have to take ? I want this to be as painless as possible

5. Tiki35 macrumors 6502

The Phillips screwdriver size is #00 for the bottom case screws.
    You don't really need the T6 Torx to get the 4 screws off the old hard drive, you can easily just use needle nose pliers.
    Yes, boot to the SL DVD after installation by pressing Option. It's super painless. Getting a SSD is a decision you won't regret.

6. Alexjones, Aug 12, 2011

Thats it? What about firmware?

7. Tiki35 macrumors 6502

8. Alexjones thread starter macrumors 6502

So let me get this straight before i hit the submit my order button on Crucial.com...i just install the SSD, Insert the SL disk , Boot up from the SL DVD and installation will begin?

9. fat jez macrumors 68000

fat jez

after yout boot from the SL disc, you'll need to go into the disk utility and partition it before installing the OS, but otherwise, that's it.

What I would do, is create the firmware update disc on your existing set up and use it to flash the firmware before you even start installing the OS.

10. Alexjones thread starter macrumors 6502

How do i do that?

---------- Post added at 07:31 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:28 PM ----------

How do i do that? I thought i thought its done after i install the SSD

11. fat jez macrumors 68000

fat jez

which part? Updating the firmware or partitioning the drive?

12. Alexjones thread starter macrumors 6502

Both. Before my SSD arrives on Tuesday, What must i do pre installation of the drive? Isnt updating the firmware done after installation? Im confused

Originally Posted by Tiki35
    You can update the firmware on your new SSD if it does not come with the latest version.

http://www.crucial.com/support/firmware.aspx

13. fat jez macrumors 68000

fat jez

Yep, burn the firmware from the link below onto a DVD (you can do this now). Then when you install the SSD, boot from the DVD you created and update the firmware. Then boot from your SL disc and use Disk Utility to create a partition on the SSD. Finally, install SL.

Crucial M4 Firmware

Clean Installing Snow Leopard on a new drive.

14. Alexjones, Aug 12, 2011

Ok. I made my boot disk using my windows PC. Will the SSD work without updating firmware? It sounds risky

15. Tiki35 macrumors 6502

Of course it will. Don't over think it. You're going to drive yourself nuts... :)