I decided to sell my macbook pro, need advice on the best websites to sell / list it.

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by orangepeel, Nov 17, 2010.

1. orangepeel macrumors member

This seems to be the sub-forum that relates to my topic the most. If not feel free to delete topic. I know I'm not eligible to sell it here on the marketplace, so I will make not mention spec's, price, location etc...

With that said where is the best place to sell it? I don't really want to list it on craigslist, it's scam central. Is there any other websites / mac centric website where I can sell it? I'm aware of appleinsider.

Thanks.

2. Vantage Point macrumors 65816

I'm an eBay man. If the product is in demand this is a good place to sell it. yeah, there are fees but that's the way it goes. I sold a Macbook earlier this year with no problems. If you do a bit of business with them and have a high rating you will get the best price because people will trust you

3. orangepeel thread starter macrumors member

Thanks, I have good ebay feedback with no negs. I'm a bit wary about ebay because... let's just say it's the newest and top of the line. I'd have no qulams selling a 4 year old mac on ebay, but not this.

4. SPEEDwithJJ macrumors 65816

SPEEDwithJJ

5. bigjnyc macrumors 601

bigjnyc

maybe read the original post all the way through :confused:

6. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Craigslist.

Benefits: Deal in person and with cash. You don't have to worry about fees, people bidding on it, and not paying you etc. I've always had good luck with craigslist.

7. zhenya macrumors 603

zhenya

Honestly, I would consider Ebay to be a far bigger scam site, especially for Apple products, than Craigslist. Ebay and Paypal have recently become extremely protective of the buyer, to the point that they can claim pretty much anything, and you won't get paid - even if they keep your item. The benefit of Craigslist is that you can sell the item for cash, with no fees (which will be substantial on an expensive laptop on Ebay). In either case, you will have to use common sense (meet at a public place if you use Craigslist, etc)- but I'm to the point that I'd rather take less money on Craigslist than risk it on Ebay.

8. wirelessmacuser macrumors 68000

wirelessmacuser

This is excellent advice for many here. It never ceases to amaze me how many people fail to read the post carefully before responding. Especially those negative venom spewing individuals that are looking to stir things up. All because, in many cases they chose to read something into the post to fit their agenda.

9. orangepeel thread starter macrumors member

That's exactly what my concerns are with ebay. Selling this is a lot harder than I thought. *sigh*

10. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I read the OP's post completely but that still doesn't detract from my point the Craiglist is better then ebay. You deal with in person and cash. I can't see how that can be construed as scam central.

I hear horror story after horror story about ebay, but if you follow the simple rule of cash only for CR, you'll not run into any problems.

11. SPEEDwithJJ macrumors 65816

SPEEDwithJJ

I had read through the OP's post thoroughly but I still suggest Craigslist because I have the same opinion as the following:

12. orangepeel thread starter macrumors member

Alright, I'm going to try craigslist. I expect personal inquiries by members of the nigerian royal family, and lowballs of epic proportions. This is gonna be fun.

13. Eclipse278 macrumors regular

if you dont want to sell your mbp for a lowball price then don't. If you dont want to reply to nigerian princes then don't.

14. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

CL is not scam central.

Yes, like any site that involves money there will be scammers. Just delete the fake email and deal locally.

15. zhenya macrumors 603

zhenya

Beware of automated responses that kind of look like the real thing. If the person doesn't mention something specific about my listing, I usually just delete as they are just trying to harvest your address.

16. cheesemonster24 macrumors newbie

I recently sold my mac mini on Amazon. Fees are comparable to ebay.

17. Wingscofounder macrumors member

18. orangepeel thread starter macrumors member

Thanks, but both forums require a minimum number of posts, or time as a member. It's a sound policy to prevent scammers from ripping people off. I've been visiting macrumors since the thinksecret days, why couldn't I have just make an account earlier. :(

Thanks for the help so far everyone. I've listed it on craigslist last night, so far I got a supremely lowball offer, and interest from someone else. I specifically mentioned I will only do a face to face transaction in a public place, it seems to have kept the scammers at bay, so far.