I deleted a bunch of apps...Safari hasn't crashed once in 2 days.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by mcdj, Oct 12, 2008.

1. mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

I'd been getting about 4-5 Safari crashes per day and it was driving me nuts. It used to be that I'd only get crashes on pages loading a lot of images, but lately it would crash just reading an RSS feed or a simple text page.

Just to see what might happen, I deleted about 15 apps I wasn't really using.

That was 2 days ago, and Safari hasn't crashed once. Knock wood.

I don't think it has anything to do with free space, as I had about 1.3 gigs free before, and 1.7 now. It could just be a coincidence, but it sure seems like cleaning house has something to do with a more stable Safari.

Interestingly, my Bank of America app didn't remember my login name after I deleted the 15 apps...that has never happened before. This says to me that there could be some errant databases floating around the OS, which might coincide with a crashy Safari being fixed by deleting an app with a loose cannon database.

I've always wondered how so many people can claim Safari never crashes for them. It would be interesting to survey those who get a lot of crashes and see if they have any apps in common, or a similar amount of apps. Could the culprit be an app that uses its own WebKit browser? Or could it be everyone with 27 apps or more will get a corrupt database(s) somewhere? So many possibilities...

2. bojado71 macrumors member

Very interesting post. I will try it out myself as I have many apps and Safari keeps crashing.

3. iTeen macrumors 65816

iTeen

Thats funny, because I got rid of about 20 apps on friday...and ever since then I haven't had Safari crash even once.

Before the cleaning I was experiencing a crash almost every time I used Safari.

4. stupidm4n macrumors member

5. deriko100 macrumors 6502

Maybe one of the apps might have been installed incorrectly, or maybe one of the apps had a secret Trojan or virus, who knows.

6. Rojo macrumors 65816

Rojo

I'm not having that much trouble with Safari crashing, but I did add a ton of apps recently, and suddenly my battery is draining MUCH faster than normal. I'm convinced it's one of the new apps -- which sucks, because I want all of them on my phone. And it's going to take forever to figure out which app may be the culprit... :(

7. mcdj thread starter macrumors 604

mcdj

These are the 14 apps I deleted. Still no Safari crashes yet.

[​IMG]

8. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

I agree with all of those removals except for one.

How do you live without Koi Pond!!? :eek:

9. creolesoul macrumors newbie

This is an interesting development. I'll try it out this week.

I must also note though that I also tried something else. For a brief time, I was using the adblock work-around (changing the host file) and I went from numerous Safari crashes per day down to 1 a day (if that). I would've kept it, but one of the apps I enjoy using was upgraded and now utilizes ads (apps with ads don't work period with the adblock work-around).

I'm sure there are a bunch of apps that I don't use. I'll delete some and see if it affects Safari and its crash rate.

10. Dr. Cabrera macrumors 65816

The mods really need to combine threads :p

I agree the more apps i install the slower my 3g seems to get ... hmmm