I deleted an app from my computer and the app store still says it has an update.

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by waldenbg, Apr 9, 2012.

1. waldenbg macrumors newbie

A long time ago I downloaded and installed an app from the Appstore onto my mac called Remote Mouse.

I have no need for this app anymore, so I used AppZapper to delete it off my computer. However, I get an alert from the Mac App Store saying there is an update for Remote Mouse ( even though none of Remote Mouse's files are on my computer). When I click Update, it puts the app back onto my computer.

If I use AppZapper to delete all the app's files, the available update appears again.

I would be very grateful if someone could tell me how to properly get rid of this app so the app store no longer thinks I have it on my computer and no longer tells me to update.

There are other apps that I have deleted that the app store does not do this for. Only Remote mouse.

Please help!!

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

In most cases, app removal software such as AppZapper doesn't do a thorough job of finding and removing files/folders related to deleted apps. For more information, read this and this. If you just want to delete the app, drag the .app file to the trash. No other software needed. If you want to completely remove all associated files/folders, no removal apps will do the job.

The most effective method for complete app removal is manual deletion:

3. waldenbg thread starter macrumors newbie

When I search for Remote Mouse, the only result is the application itself.

4. simsaladimbamba

Even with "System Files" "are included" selected as shown by Mister GGJstudios and the video linked to last in my signature?

5. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Complete steps 1-7 of those instructions, then take a screen shot of your Finder window and post it.

6. waldenbg thread starter macrumors newbie

[​IMG]

My finder was a little different than the one in the tutorial you linked. There was no contents or file name option, but I did the rest.

As you can see, the first in the list is the App I do not want; Remote Mouse.

The other three files are unrelated.

7. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

No pic attached. See the link in my last post for how to add a pic.

8. waldenbg thread starter macrumors newbie

Attached Files:

9. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Try searching for just "Remote", then post the screen cap before you delete anything.

10. simsaladimbamba

You can search for file names this way, as the selection screen appears during the entering of the search word(s):
    [​IMG]

11. waldenbg, Apr 9, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 10, 2012

waldenbg thread starter macrumors newbie

When I just search "remote", there are hundreds of results, however it seems like they don't really have anything to do with Remote Mouse. When i zap the remote mouse app, nothing regarding the app is found in a search for both "remote mouse" and "remote mouse". It appears app store thinks the app is still installed tho, as it is providing updates. Is there a way to delete it from my app store history so its as if it was never installed?

Also, when I go in app store on the remote mouse page, the app does not appear as "installed". But it still says I have an update.

Thanks.

12. waldenbg thread starter macrumors newbie

Please Help

Hi. The app still shows there is an update available. I cannot find any files relating to this app on my computer.

If I install the update available on mac app store for Remote Mouse, it downloads the App onto my computer.

When I remove all of the apps files, the update pops up again.

Please help!

Also, when I am on the apps page on Mac app store, it says FREE instead of INSTALLED, however it is still in the updates tab.

13. Arelunde macrumors 6502a

Arelunde

Part of your problem MAY be that the application is being stored in your Documents folder. If nothing else works, try dragging the app into the Applications folder and THEN do the standard (or otherwise) deletion.

14. simsaladimbamba

This is the simple method, normally it does suffice to delete an application from the Applications folder (Launchpad is only a visual presentation of installed applications).
    GGJstudios did post a simple and effective guide to get rid of all app related data, which the very short article you linked to after more than a year of this thread being last written in did not even touch the slightest, but then again, welcome new member, you will probably not return anyway.

----------

Where does it say anything about the app being stored in the Documents folder? The search just started there, nothing more. And to delete an application via the methods posted by GGJstudios, it does not matter where the application is stored, as the search method includes the entire volume the OS is installed onto.