Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MunichCowboy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 17, 2020
Munich, Germany
Hi everybody!
This is my first post. My Name is Sven.

I own a Late 2009 A1312 (27" iMac). A good workhorse, but it had dust clouds inside the LCD and a loose LED Plug on the left side. So i decided to fix it. After resoldering the LED Plug and cleaning the layers of the LCD, it pluged it in for a trial and it worked fine.
Then i proudly assembled everything back together. But then, a bad graphic failure appeared.
The system start to boot and after seconds, it tryed to start again and again and again. The screen is showing a very fine grid and some colored stripes on the right side. Also the Startup Symbol is flickering (there is no system on the disk, yet).
The vsync cable is a little bit "crumbled", but could this the reason? Maybe the LCD cable? But it worked fine before. The LVDS Plug on the board is fine. Maybe the GPU got a spontaneous error? Hmmm...

Here are some Pics.

IMG_3603.JPG
IMG_3605.JPG

TwoH

macrumors 6502
May 19, 2019
Issue is not with the V-sync cable, LVDS, nor with the graphics. When you were taking the LCD apart, you must've damaged the cable on the right-side connecting the LCD to the LCD board.
Sadly it isn't fixable.

Edit: I wouldn't feel bad about breaking it though if I were you - going through the process of taking the LCD and back light apart, cleaning, and putting back together can seem like a hard task if it's your first time trying it

Reactions: MunichCowboy

MunichCowboy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 17, 2020
Munich, Germany
Oh sheesh,
that sounds possible. But i handled it absolutely gentle, because i know how fragile these foils are.
Thanks for your encouragement. So i'm looking for a used panel on ebay now. Maybe a cheap one with dust inside. ;)
Last month a bought a new 2017 18,3 27" on sale. Very happy with it. The broken one is planed for my sons minecraft server. :D

MunichCowboy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 17, 2020
Munich, Germany
Confirmed. It's the connector cable between the LCD Board and the panel. I just disassembled it again and pressed it together by hand. And voila, the stripes and grid are gone. My last try is to iron the foil back to the board. I know this issue from an old Gameboy an an old Becker Car Headunit. Wish me luck.
First attempt, i will use an iron and piece of paper or a hot air gun and a rubber tip from a pencil.
Next attempt would be done with a special Bonding-Head for Soldering Irons. Stay tuned.

Attachments

• Universal-T-Loetspitze-fuer-40-50-60W-Loetkolben-Display-Reparatur-nicht-zutreffend-2-105862.jpg
    Universal-T-Loetspitze-fuer-40-50-60W-Loetkolben-Display-Reparatur-nicht-zutreffend-2-105862.jpg
    7.8 KB · Views: 71

TwoH

macrumors 6502
May 19, 2019
Not as easy job to do, so damn - good luck!
When I tried to press the cable together by hand, i managed to get it down from 4-5 lines down to 1, and then managed to break the whole thing..

Reactions: MunichCowboy
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.