I didn't realize midterm voter turnout was this low.

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by LIVEFRMNYC, Nov 12, 2014.

1. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 603

You can't blame this on any voter disenfranchisement/suppression tactics.

Funny how Texas(very conservative) is the 2nd lowest and New York(very liberal) is the 4th lowest. I bet it's the "I already know who's going to win" mentality that justified voter's laziness.

I wonder if a multi-party system would have drawn a bigger turnout.

http://news.yahoo.com/voter-turnout-2014-midterms-worst-in-72-years-143406756.html

2. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

The MSM can butter it up with every kind of rationalization but it all boils down to Obama's miserable failure as president and the Democrats getting their collective derriere handed to them.

3. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Gramps, what the hell am I paying you for?
    Political debate and discourse: 2014 edition

Democrat: No, it's usual for a two term president to face an opposing party senate and house in his 6th year. It's been that way since after WWII.

Republican: It's cuz you guys SSUUUUCCCKKKK

Democrat: Nuh uh! Only old people voted this year! Old people are cranky and hate everyone. That's why they vote republican!

Republican: Obama's LAAAAMMMMEEE!

Democrat: No! You're the one who is lame! YOU'RE ALL LAME!

Republican: SSHHUUUTTT UPPPP!

It gives me the warm fuzzies knowing our country is in good hands.

4. LIVEFRMNYC thread starter macrumors 603

That doesn't explain the lack of Republican voter turnout.

This is not any Obama failure. This is a voter failure.

And America being in great shape compared to 2008, is probably another reason for such low turnout. Maybe America needs to be in bad shape again for a better turnout.

5. Southern Dad macrumors 65816

Southern Dad

Republican turn out may not have set records but it was enough to get the job done.

6. Happybunny macrumors 68000

Were ever you look low voter turn out always favours the political party with the oldest supporters base.

Old people nearly alway VOTE.

7. LIVEFRMNYC thread starter macrumors 603

Exactly. Old people and the far right are dedicated voters.

8. iBlazed macrumors 68000

iBlazed

The trend of people failing to vote when the country is generally more stable and in good shape is very worrisome, because they fail to give credit to the party that brought them there.

9. ElectronGuru macrumors 65816

I didn't realize midterm voter turnout was this low.

Historically, I could have written your post. But this is far more dangerous than voter apathy,. A lack of caring would look like approval ratings so high, why bother. The ship is already going in a good direction, why bother helping to steer?

This is massive low approval combined with massive low participation. This is the ship going in a bad direction and being so fed up with trying to move the rudder, they've given up even trying. An election system that rewards bad behavior will only get more of it. And the fewer people participate, the easier it is for smaller and smaller blocks to distort the outcome.

Your sense of satisfaction is understandable, perhaps even earned. But a system that disfunctions one way can disfunction the other. And nether is good. Politicians who aren't elected by the people don't work for them either.

10. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

We reap what we sew or in this case, don't sew.

11. vrDrew macrumors 65816

Mid-term elections almost always have low turnout.

But in this most recent case, I see it as an utter failure of national and state Democrats at the very art of retail politics. Despite having an admirable record of legislative achievement, Democrats at pretty much every level failed to get their supporters to the polls. They made the fundamentally flawed decision to "run away" from Barack Obama - and I cannot think of a single candidate, anywhere, who profited from that decision.

Obama will be gone from the Ballot in 2016. Part of me wonders if the absence of a Black man at the head of the Democratic party will coax some of the closeted racists back. Certainly the lack of an African-American President will take some of the urgency out of the "take our country back!" wailing of the Tea Party.

But if the Democratic Party is to return to power in the House any time in the next several years, it will require a remaking, or at least a redefinition, of what it means to be a Democrat. I think I know what it means - but I'm be darned if I can remember seeing any political document or TV advertisement that spelled it out.

12. sonicrobby macrumors 68020

sonicrobby

A multi party system would more likely bring out more voters. Ive been feeling misrepresented every election period, and just stopped voting because of it...

It is also a case where I can either choose the extreme right wing overly conservative nuthead, or the extreme left wing liberal hippy. How about some more moderate candidates with logic and though who dont just run on party ideals. Id like the next generation to take office and see what they will bring.

13. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

Why do the Republicans only care about "getting the job done" during the election and not after they are elected?

14. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

Don't we have a multi-party system? There are at least 4 parties on the ballot in some parts of the country (other than Texas). ;) It can't be mandated, but takes people interested in starting ang supporting new ideas.

15. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

We don't have a multi-party system until we abolish the winner-take-all system and institute proportional representation.

16. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

We have a multiparty system that needs serious tweaking. ;) I agree that we will have to move mountains to implement this change. We also need instant runoff voting. Good luck getting that past the two primary parties, but we desperately need it and I'd support it.

17. ElectronGuru macrumors 65816

Yeah, winner take all really is. Without room for other ideas, there are no other ideas. The dems F'd up massively, but in a proportional system, neither they nor the reps would matter enough any of us to care. There would be a rich marketplace of competing parties instead of this duopoly we have today.

18. sonicrobby macrumors 68020

sonicrobby

Well technically yes, but when it comes down to it, its always only a D vs R battle. Any other party is not taken seriously. There are some small-population-states which have that capability to elect other parties to Washington, but there arent many. It does take support for new parties, or non-partied candidates, to gain traction. But it seems like most people are just set in the bi-party politic mindset, and it is a shame :(

19. LIVEFRMNYC thread starter macrumors 603

Well it was Republican vs Independent in Kansas. Does Independent even count as a party?

20. malman89 macrumors 68000

You're a blind fool. The voter participation rate in midterm elections has been pretty steadily lower than presidential elections. See: http://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tan...ways-drops-off-for-midterm-elections-but-why/

21. Huntn, Nov 13, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 13, 2014

Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

And this is why instant runoff voting is essential. In essence you prioritize your vote for the top 2 candidates (or maybe 3 if there are that many). If your first choice does not win, you vote shifts to number 2. In this way you can vote your conscious, and feel comfortable your vote is not being wasted. A hard sell to the major parties, but last I heard it was being experimented with in Minnesota local elections.

22. sonicrobby macrumors 68020

sonicrobby

Normally I don't have a second choice :p the moderate candidate I like usually fall out, and all that is left are the extremists. Though I may be voting for Mary for the LA run offs since she is a more conservative democrat... But honestly I don't like either of my candidates, and to me that is the worst feeling. When you feel none of the candidates truly represent you. We just have to find our top concern. But none of my candidates are pro-choice or for gay marriage, which I am for, and also I'm very fiscally conservative, wanting cuts in cost across the board, both in military and welfare (and the weird part is, I'm registered as a republican). And I'm also very anti religious when it comes to politics. #separationofchurchandstate. Where is my representative?!

23. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Nice to see Colorado so high on that list, in 4th place with 53% turnout. All 3 eligible voters in my house voted.

24. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

Very illustrative of our delimma. You sound like you should be an Independant... :)

25. iBlazed macrumors 68000

iBlazed

I'm ashamed that my state is number 43 on the list. Ridiculous.