I disabled Siri

blackbear219

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 5, 2012
On both my iPad and my iPhone5.

I find it to be pretty useless, but am I missing something? What are the MOST helpful things that Siri does for you?

dictoresno

macrumors 601
Apr 30, 2012
NJ
On both my iPad and my iPhone5.

I find it to be pretty useless, but am I missing something? What are the MOST helpful things that Siri does for you?
take about 45 seconds to give you an answer you could probably google yourself in less time.

aDRock1154

macrumors 65816
Nov 15, 2011
Ohio
I only use her for reminders and alarms anymore..

I won't disable because I like the dictation feature, though.

psac

macrumors 6502a
Jul 6, 2009
I recently upgraded from the 4 to the 5, and Siri seems totally useless so far. In most cases, the old voice control was actually better. I used to be able to say "Play album ____" over the bluetooth in my car, and it would work, now when I do that, Siri just says she's having a problem and does nothing. Nice.

Oh yeah, and she still thinks I'm in New York, Texas, (not NY, NY) when I ask about the weather.

dictoresno

macrumors 601
Apr 30, 2012
NJ
Do you guys think it saves battery at all to disable it completely?
probably not unless its using your data connection or GPS. but if you never prompt siri, its not using anything as far as i know. so disabled or not, probably isnt using any battery.

Rad-o

macrumors member
Sep 23, 2012
Tells you weather , find the nearest restaurent etc ... Dont find them useful ? Ask stupid questions and entertain ypurself ^^ go to google and search some funny questions to ask , i saw some funny youtube videos :D

jclardy

macrumors 68040
Oct 6, 2008
Do you guys think it saves battery at all to disable it completely?
No, Siri will only use battery while you are using it. Once you hold the home button then it will start recording and sending data over the network which would use data. But while dormant all it does is wait for the home button to be held down which the system does anyways (enabled or not.)

enzo thecat

macrumors 6502
Apr 7, 2010
Midwest USA
Siri can not understand my voice. the few times I've tried using it, i almost ended up screaming at my phone. I loath that feature. Totally useless IMHO

JaySoul

macrumors 68030
Jan 30, 2008
I've found Siri useful for when I'm driving and want to dictate a text, and change songs.

Otherwise yep, I'm really not impressed, plus Siri uses a lot of data.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
reminders, call someone when I am driving, notes, check my calendar, movies playing and times (with rotten tomato built in), alarms. I use it daily.

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
I've found Siri useful for when I'm driving and want to dictate a text.
Same.

Also, I find it much, much quicker for entering Reminders (with dates) or Calendar entries. Doing those manually takes popping in and out of date screens and spinning the date wheel, both of which take more time for me than just speaking the date.

willmtaylor

macrumors G4
Oct 31, 2009
Here(-ish)
I like being able to keep my phone in my pocket and telling Siri to take a note, remind me to do something, or even "Shuffle the newest Avett Brothers," and she does it. It's nice being able to keep my hands free by using the earpods with the mic while walking around.

MonkeySee....

macrumors 68040
Sep 24, 2010
UK
I use Siri when I need to convert something...

"How many centimeters in 3ft" etc.

Wolfram Alpha is perfect

Italianblend

macrumors 68000
Mar 21, 2011
Fatima
After having the 4S for a year, the only things I do with siri are:

1) Set up reminders - this is so much more convenient than typing it in
2) Set alarms - very convenient as well
3) It's not technically siri, but I use the microphone button to text sometimes.

I would like to use her to text in the car, but it can get a bit bothersome, as if your message gets one word wrong, you have to re-do, then you have to waste time asking her to read it back before you send it. Also sometimes she doesn't recognize my contacts or gives me the wrong one.

Other than that, siri has been way over-hyped and I feel that apple shouldn't have had siri as its main selling point for the 4S, especially since it's still "in beta." Apple is getting a bit lazy with their beta releases as if they are real releases.

nefan65

macrumors 65816
Apr 15, 2009
I went from the 4 to the 5, and find it useful. I don't use it all the time, but the 4 - 5 times I have it was very helpful. Was able to answer and writer a text while driving, added an iCal event, to make a couple calls when driving, and lookup some info.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.