"I do not want you in the Senate"

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Southern Dad, Apr 10, 2014.

1. Southern Dad macrumors 65816

Southern Dad

"I do not want you in the Senate". When I heard this, I thought it had to be a spoof. While I doubt it is the President, it may resonate with voters. Jack Kingston also has a down to earth campaign where he shows that he has returned over million of his office budget and drives an older station wagon.

In the event it doesn't play, here's the link

2. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

He'd get my support if he moves to reject Obamacare in favor of true universal health care paid for by taxes - just like we do for providing military defence, schools, roads, national parks, etc.

3. Southern Dad thread starter macrumors 65816

Southern Dad

Paying for things by taxes causes a few problems. The first is that a good percentage of the income earners in the USA pay no federal income taxes. Basically that just becomes healthcare paid for by someone else.

Second, when you aren't paying the bills for something people tend to not worry about the costs. How many people don't bother to check line item by line item a hospital bill because it was paid for by your insurance?

Our schools are a mess. The schools are supposed to be funded locally through property taxes but now rely on state and federal funding to keep them afloat.

Kingston has another ad where he is talking about the old station wagon that he drives. He says that it is still a good car and he can't see wasting money. He also talks about how much money he cut from his budget. I don't know if I'm going to be voting for him, yet. Dr. Paul Broun, the member for my district is also running.

4. citizenzen macrumors 65816

What are we debating ... whether that was an actual recording of the president?

I'm a bit confused by the point you're trying to make here.

5. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

What percentage of people check their credit card bills line item by line item? 10%?

6. Huntn, Apr 10, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 10, 2014

Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

Here is Kingston and most Republican's problem, they are the party of "No" without providing any alternate ideas. Affordable health care is very desirable to millions of people, but I've not heard them propose any serious alternative.

And BTW that is a smart and despicable ad because there will be a group of dummies who will be insensed and vote for this guy based on a fabricated phone call. Oh yeah, that's the GOP's bread and butter- mislead and lie. This is what they do, how can anyone believe anything they say or trust their motives? You can't.

"I'm Jack Kingston, I approved this lie." Lol.

7. ugahairydawgs macrumors 68020

ugahairydawgs

8. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Dr. Paul "Evolution and the Big Bang are lies straight from the pit of hell" Broun?

We need fewer idiots like that in elected office. He's not qualified to be dog catcher.

9. Southern Dad thread starter macrumors 65816

Southern Dad

You know there are quite a few people who say things that they wish they didn't… Senator Barrack Obama (D) had 57 states to campaign in. Another Georgia Representative, Hank Johnson (D) who is a very intelligent person made a statement that Guam could tip over from putting too many people there.

Religious beliefs shouldn't be held against a candidate but rather their political record. Personally, I look at any religious person as gullible but that is my lack of faith showing through.

----------

I go over my credit card bills, my utility bills and anything else I'm going to have to pay, line item by line item. A few years ago, I went over a hospital bill, of my daughters and found that there was over $9k in incorrect charges. I'll bet United Healthcare was happy. I know my employer was.

10. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

Lol, priceless! The perfect GOP-in-a-nutshell candidate.

11. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Good for you - and so do I. But we are the exception and not the norm ;).

12. citizenzen macrumors 65816

What leads you to believe he didn't wish to make those statements?

Has he backtracked from them?

13. chrf097 macrumors 68040

chrf097

Obama stating 57 states was an accident, he meant the 57 primaries. Johnson stating Guam could tip over was joking.

Paul Broun, however, is serious in his statement. It's not something he regrets, it's something he truly believes.

14. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

The 57 states thing was a slip of the tongue. He was talking about 57 primary contents, 50 states + DC, PR, USVI, Guam, American Samoa, CMNI and Democrats Abroad. I can't believe people are still holding that against him. Johnson, I dunno, maybe a joke, maybe a stupid comment.

IMO, what Paul Broun said is inexcusable. He is a religious whacko and we already have enough of those in office unfortunately.

15. Southern Dad thread starter macrumors 65816

Southern Dad

I wasn't holding it against President Obama. In your opinion it is inexcusable but I can come up with many statements from Christian Democrats that are serving now and have in the past saying that homosexuals are bad people and wrong. Now, the President has evolved his position those are quiet.

Dr. Paul Broun is entitled to his religious opinion even if it differs from yours or mine or science. That shouldn't disqualify a candidate.

16. chrf097 macrumors 68040

chrf097

Because it's not like he won't make any political choices that would damage people who don't also think the same way...

17. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

How appropriate that he's on the House Committee on Science.

As for his remarks, he didn't misspeak. He said they were off the record comments. :rolleyes:

18. ugahairydawgs macrumors 68020

ugahairydawgs

Why are the first two so easily dismissed yet the third one is "inexcusable"?

19. Southern Dad, Apr 10, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 10, 2014

Southern Dad thread starter macrumors 65816

Southern Dad

Do you think that is always true? I've heard of candidates voting a position that they personally don't believe because their constituents wanted it. I've also seen candidates that have voted both ways on the same issue when different bills came up. They may have "evolved" or they may have just not agreed with one of the bills.

Immigration, tax reform, abortion, poverty, war, etc. These things often have politicians having to vote a certain way based on the letter after his/her name but sometimes, just sometimes a politician will vote they way the constituents have asked them to vote.

“I was reminded that it is my obligation not only as an elected official in a pluralistic society, but also as a Christian, to remain open to the possibility that my unwillingness to support gay marriage is misguided,” - This is an example of a Christian who believed that homosexual marriage is wrong but changed his opinion. He didn't turn gay, just changed his opinion based upon what the constituency wanted.

20. edk99 macrumors 6502a

How on earth do you think Obama got elected? Certainly not by telling the truth.

"If you like you health insurance you can keep it" We know now there is nothing misleading about that :rolleyes:

21. Michael Goff macrumors G3

Michael Goff

Or maybe he really thought it was true.

22. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Obama's statement is easy to dismiss because it's a mistakenly categorized number.

No vote, no law, no policy is going to be proposed or enacted because of it, and it would only take somebody pointing out the mistake for him to realize he had misspoken.

Broun, on the other hand ...

23. lannister80 macrumors 6502

lannister80

Who do you think pays for it now? If you don't make enough $ to pay Fed taxes, you're almost certainly on Medicaid.

24. jnpy!$4g3cwk macrumors 65816

jnpy!$4g3cwk

His (un-)scientific opinions are what disqualify him. AND his political opinions.

25. lannister80 macrumors 6502

lannister80

A slip of the tongue is in no way, shape, or form equivalent to holding deeply anti-science and anti-reality ideas.