I don't care about the iPhone 5. Why care about a contract phone?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by 671417, Aug 16, 2012.

1. 671417 macrumors member

All this hype about the iPhone 5 is excessive and unnecessary. It's a contract phone after all.

I love my iPhone 3GS, which I bought new and unlocked from Apple. It's a world phone so I can use it everywhere with prepaid minutes. I can switch carriers. It's a fairly tough phone and seems like this phone will last 5 years.

This idea that people should be on contracts and change phones every year or two is insane. Changing phones is bad for the environment. I myself found a phone on the beach when I was in San Francisco.

And these contracts are so darn expensive.

Whereas I paid $100 for 1000 minutes over 6 months ago and I still haven't used all my minutes. I text a lot. I skype a lot.

I just don't care about the iPhone 5.

2. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Everyone's situation is different
    This seems to work for you, so that is all that matters

For others, they have different needs
    Choice is a good thing, and we should be grateful we have options

3. x-evil-x macrumors 68030

x-evil-x

Why not upgrade every two years for free? I haven't paid for a phone since my first 3G. Upgrade to new phone and sell mine usually making money.

4. 671417 thread starter macrumors member

Right but here is what I pay:

$375 phone
    $100 every 6 months for minutes

5 year cost = 375 + 10*100 = $1375

I've heard of people with contracts paying that much in 1 year.

Prior to the iPhone I had a $30 Nokia, which had better battery life. Back then my cost was even lower of course, but because I pay prepaid at 0.10 per minute it was no hardship to get the iPhone and therefore all the apps.

5. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Everyone's needs are different, and it isn't all about cost
    Sometimes it is new features, functionality, etc.
    Just because this is best for you doesn't make it best for everyone
    Even if they pay more (it is their choice after all)

6. jabingla2810 macrumors 68020

So, you're happy with the 3GS?

Cool, rock on, all power to you.

I wouldn't be, so I upgrade when I can.

You do what you want to do, and I'll do what I want to do.

The world will carry on spinning and we'll all carry on with our lives.

7. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

The issue is most of us on these forums want the latest and greatest. This means upgrading your phone every year. Unfortunately, I like many, have a sick obsession with technology. Phones, Tvs, Computers.....I want the newest available!

8. x-evil-x macrumors 68030

x-evil-x

But what phone service in the US offer lte for around 100$ for 450 min and unlimited data and texts?
    And offers the iPhone on there network that works well?

9. 671417 thread starter macrumors member

I want the newest within reason. So rather than upgrade my MBP 2010 to the 2012, I added an SSD and more RAM. The effect was pretty amazing.

I used to buy a new car every 3 years. Buyers remorse, and the economy have made me rethink that approach.

----------

I use T-Mobile, so I don't get data. I just use Wifi when I really need data on the phone, which is rare.

10. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

You should definitely lease then

My car is paid for, so I will drive it until it breaks and when it does I will have the money to out right buy a new one :)

11. R1PPER macrumors 6502

Im obsessed with the latest Tech also.... Cant help myself. Iphone 3G actually offends me design wise. Iphone 4S is the Pinnacle and hopefully iphone 5 will Top that. Thats why i'm onboard.

As for the environment....i hope that the environmentally impact from consumerism is over hyped and not really an issue....what you gonna do :confused:

12. jabingla2810 macrumors 68020

So you have a 3GS and no data plan?

[​IMG]

13. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

OP, your minimalist approach with no data plan, etc. would not work for me and my work flow

That is why choice is important

14. SpyderBite macrumors 65816

SpyderBite

Contrary to what the politicians will have you believe; there are many of us were not affected by the recent economic problems nationally or globally. So, don't assume that because you need to pinch pennies.. The rest of us must be just as hard up as you.

I don't even think about my mobile plan. I have auto pay setup and barely glance at it except to check it for errors. We upgrade whenever a line on the account is eligible regardless if it is necessary or not.

15. x-evil-x macrumors 68030

x-evil-x

Haha same thought too

See you aren't like most people that own iPhones. You basically have an iPod touch. Why not just get a new iPod touch. No contract and does everything you want.

I need my data plan. Or my iPhone would turn into a normal phone that can't do anything when I'm outside the house. Which is a lot...

16. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

well he does need to make calls on it :)

17. ncaissie macrumors 6502a

ncaissie

Of course upgrading to a smart phone makes no sense when you don’t pay for data anyway.
    Some people are cheaper than others.
    I purchased my phone at full price which was stupid since I stayed a Rogers customer for many years.

18. aristobrat macrumors G4

Your iPhone 3GS is as much a contract phone as the upcoming iPhone 5 is.

The majority of people will chose to purchase it on contract, but it will be available for purchase unlocked, for those wanting no contract. Again, just like your iPhone 3GS.

And why do you say changing phones is bad for the environment, when the majority of old iPhones are re-sold, not disposed of? Have you not seen all of the "we buy your old iPhone" companies that advertise like crazy during iPhone launches, along with the eBay articles showing the huge spikes in old iPhones being resold?

19. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

Plus, Some of us actually stay with the same carrier for a really long time, so getting a discount to sign a contract that we will have no problem fulfilling is a bonus

20. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

Uhm, yeah.

So you're criticizing other people for paying more money than you, but they're getting something entirely different than you. Perhaps that's why it costs more?

Why do people buy gas? How foolish! What do they even need it for? I don't use gas. Sure, I don't have a car, but...

Perhaps you shouldn't use your life as the yardstick by which you judge us.

21. chambone macrumors 6502a

chambone

I agree fully. Problem is that cell providers in the US kinda force you, and and in most other places sucker you into that.

----------

You paid every single dime of any contract phone you ever owned, and then some. You didn't usually make money, you lost money on each phone you sold. Do you really think cell providers actually gave you mobile phones for free?

22. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

How do you figure? If he was with that company for 2 years, not under contract, he would have paid the same amount monthly. If he bought the phone unlocked for the full price, he would have paid $400 more for the phone. If you plan on staying with the same company for two years it is a no brainer to sign the contract.

Just because the major carriers are expensive does not mean that you paid for the phone. That is the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard. Yes, I could go to straight talk but would not have LTE

23. groupersandwich macrumors 6502

Good for you! I want an iphone 5. I'm going to get an iphone 5. I'm going to get an iphone 5 on VZW. I'm going to sell my iphone 4 to finance my new iphone 5. I'm going to be VERY, VERY happy for my decision. Now excuse me while I go empty my used motor oil in my neighbor's lawn. :D

24. LostSoul80 macrumors 68020

LostSoul80

Since when iPod touch's are supposed to handle messages and phone calls without an internet connection?

Not everyone needs a data plan.

25. boomhower macrumors 68000

boomhower

If pre-paid works for you great. But it's not for everyone. Especially here in the US pre-paid data is both expensive and not the fastest. It piggy backs off the national carriers and gets bottom of the barrel priority. When you are sharing a tower with the carriers customers they get top priority on that tower, your last in line. It can be difficult at best to find a prepaid carrier that will allow you to activate a prepaid phone or the cost is pretty close to the national carriers. If your with a national carrier you are paying the same price regardless if you use your two year subsidy or not so your basically losing money by not upgrading. You have found something that works for you, but don't try and demonize those that enjoy new technology. Lots of things are bad for the environment, no just new phones. (on the same topic I did read an interesting article on the potential environmental impact of Apple changing the dock connector and the potential for massive amount of accessories to be chucked.)