I don't care what Apple left out, SE is going to be great

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by PDFierro, Mar 21, 2016.

1. PDFierro macrumors 68040

I see some complaining about what was left out of the iPhone SE, but those who were actually interested in the SE to begin with seem to be happy. I know I am.

So there's no 3D Touch or 128GB option. We knew that going in based on rumors. I have a hard time seeing Apple leaving out 2GB RAM on this, given the extent they went to make the SE as powerful as the 6s. There's also a few other small details...such as no 2nd-generation Touch ID.

For everything Apple left out (which isn't much), there's a lot they put in. I'm impressed that it has the same camera as the 6s for one thing. I'm willing to sacrifice a few things to get the form factor I want. Who cares if it doesn't have every last thing from the 6s...at least this is basically a flagship iPhone.

And the price is great, better than many of us expected. I'll order the 64GB Space Gray on Thursday. I'll be coming from a iPhone 6 128GB. I'm not a hardcore iPhone user, I prefer to do things on my Mac, so going down to 64GB won't really be an issue.

I'm just happy with what we got. The advertised battery life also seems good.

2. ABC5S Suspended

ABC5S

3. Quicklite macrumors regular

Got an old 4S about to get latest iOS update / stay in touch with iOS. Tempted to replace it.

Will play around with SE in the shop & see if the screen is a bit small.

4. OW22 macrumors 6502

OW22

It's a great phone. I just got the 6S but I was in the market for a smaller phone, I had a Galaxy Note 3 and was looking at the Sony Xperia Z5 company as I wanted a smaller device and was seriously contemplating getting it. But I had left iOS 3 years ago and wanted to make the move back. I love the 6S and won't be trading it for a SE but I love that Apple has made this. The old 4/4S was a beauty, I still have mine and this will be a great phone. Well done Apple.

5. wolfedude88 macrumors 6502

wolfedude88

I agree, I am not a huge fan currently of 3d touch so it wasn't a big deal to me.

Though I hope it has 2gb ram, I can live without 2nd gen touch id, and worse front facing camera. Though I would prefer to have included these, but I am still super excited.

6. Flow39 macrumors 68000

Flow39

I don't know why everyone is complaining about this. It's an amazing little phone! A 6s minus a few things (3D Touch, Faster Touch ID sensor) crammed into the amazing shell of the iPhone 5s and sold at a really low price! What more did people want?

7. OW22 macrumors 6502

OW22

8. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

Marginally bummed about the 3d touch, but otherwise this is everything I expected at the price point I WANTED. IDK if that has ever happened lol.

9. Quicklite macrumors regular

If they've got 2GB - its a fully fledged 4" iPhone - and will probably slay loads of budget Androids.
    If they've got 1GB - hum that's where you expect it to be at, can't help but be a bit disappointed but not overly disappointed.

We'll see if Apple crudely employs a Canon-like salami-slice strategy.

10. Hal~9000 macrumors 68000

Hal~9000

iPhone SE has the following for me:
    • Lowest price ever for flagship specs
    • Highest batter life ever (even more than the 6+/6s+! :eek:)
    • Great one handed form factor of the beautiful 5s
    What's not to love?

11. PDFierro thread starter macrumors 68040

Exactly! I am looking at this as an upgrade from my 6. There was obviously going to be a few things Apple was going to have to leave out in order to achieve the design/price.

12. Quicklite macrumors regular

*if the RAM is 2GB.

13. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

I really want to see those real life battery results.

14. Hal~9000 macrumors 68000

Hal~9000

I never had an issue with my 5s regarding RAM. Even if it's 1GB (which I don't think it will be plus Anandtech has already reported 2GB), I'd still get it for the form factor / battery life.

15. PDFierro thread starter macrumors 68040

I will also add that there is probably most definitely a portion (especially on these forums) that won't get the appeal of a flagship 4" iPhone, and that's fine. But for those of us that do, this is what we wanted. I would have just upgraded to the 7 if this never came into existence.

I ordered the 12-inch MacBook exactly 1 year ago, so I guess I'm the target audience for these kind of devices. And I do a lot on my Mac.

16. dumastudetto macrumors 68020

I agree. I'm blown away at what Apple is putting into these new 4" iPhones and the starting price is just amazing. This puts Apple in direct competition in terms of price with some quite frankly terrible budget Android phones.

17. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

I actually was going to go from the 6s to the 5s if this phone did not come to fruition. That is how badly I wanted the 4" form factor back.

18. AliMacs macrumors 6502

What a fickle bunch. When iPhone 5/5S was released and you guys looked at competiting products with 4"+ displays and higher everyone was complaining how Apple is so lame with the 4" display.

Speed up 3 years from then and now we are back to 4" display again and it sounds as if it's the second coming :confused:
    I can't justify spending $399 for a 16GB 4" display smartphone. Seriously? In 2016? Don't let the marketing hype get to your rational thinking. $500 for a 64GB model. You tell me if you enjoy surfing the web with a 4" screen. HELL TO THE NO.

I can't even type perfectly using a 5.7" display that's QHD and I can't imagine back to a 4" display with a paltry 640p display. I'm about to go watch all my movies on DVD plugged into my CRT Sony.

19. PDFierro thread starter macrumors 68040

That's just it: there are people who don't want anything bigger than a 4" iPhone...believe it or not. Myself included.

20. AliMacs macrumors 6502

well, if it was $299 I can see the appeal. $399 for 16GB in 2016 isn't going to dent any sales of android phones - and flagships priced around $399 even!

21. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

It's a phone, and a phone first for me still. I text, check email, and make calls. Sure I surf FB and the web here and there, but I have an iPad when I am at home. When I am out and about, I am not using it for those thing. Then if anything it's a camera...where small is also better.

22. AliMacs macrumors 6502

I would gladly use the Apple iwatch if I wanted small. This thing is just too expensive for 16GB in 2016. I know I'm stretching my opinion out much but I'm SMH right now because Phil Schiller is the king of Bullsh_t!

23. Hal~9000 macrumors 68000

Hal~9000

Not at all in my opinion.

This is iPhones we are talking about here. $399 for a 16GB iPhone (or $499 for 64GB) with flagship specs is $250 cheaper than the next flagship model, the 6s, and well worth the money compared to janky android devices that don't have nearly the same battery life, iOS exclusives, Apple support, or consistent updates.

24. davidg4781 macrumors 68010

I never wanted an iPhone larger than 4". I didn't have a choice (other than staying with the 5S) so I jumped to the 6. Would I go back? I'm not sure. But I certainly see the value of having a 4" screen and would probably still have one if they were available.

25. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

Get that out of your head and look at $499 for a 64GB phone.