Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jihad the movie

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 18, 2003
Smugtown, NY
But wen I run a System Profiler on my mac, my Apple branded mouse comes up as "Logitech" for vendor on mg G5. The Pro Keyboard comes up as Mitsumi Electric for the vendor name as well. I just thought that was odd.

blue&whiteman

macrumors 65816
Nov 30, 2003
jihad the movie said:
But wen I run a System Profiler on my mac, my Apple branded mouse comes up as "Logitech" for vendor on mg G5. The Pro Keyboard comes up as Mitsumi Electric for the vendor name as well. I just thought that was odd.

all apple really makes on their own are the casings around their products. all the parts inside everything they make are made by someone else. same as dell, gateway, compaq etc.

Sparky's

macrumors 6502a
Feb 11, 2004
I also was confused when after purchasing a LaCie DVD-R external firewire drive that the "system profiler" said it was a Pioneer drive. Found out that LaCie uses Pioneer guts for their drives. Kinda like the Saturn cars, all that hype back in the early '90s about an American Car built by an American Company, HA most of the parts are manufactured overseas and just "assembled" in America.

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
blue&whiteman said:
all apple really makes on their own are the casings around their products. all the parts inside everything they make are made by someone else. same as dell, gateway, compaq etc.
Actually, I doubt Apple even makes the cases. They design the cases. They design the custom parts of the computer. Then they have other companies doing the manufacturing and most of the assembly work. I think Apple might do some of the custom order upgrades themselves.

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
All electronics companies do this.

This is why I never really bought the "Apple hardware is better" argument from Mac-drones. They buy their HD's, CD burners, LCDs, casing, etc, from the same people that other companies like HP and Gateway do. If one part fails, it isn't because Apple is superior (even though they are :p). Its because the part cocked up, not Bill Gates, Windows, or anything else you can blame.

Krizoitz

macrumors 68000
Apr 26, 2003
Tokyo, Japan
Abstract said:
All electronics companies do this.

This is why I never really bought the "Apple hardware is better" argument from Mac-drones. They buy their HD's, CD burners, LCDs, casing, etc, from the same people that other companies like HP and Gateway do. If one part fails, it isn't because Apple is superior (even though they are :p). Its because the part cocked up, not Bill Gates, Windows, or anything else you can blame.

Except Apple doesn't just slap the cheapest hardware together in a slap-dash way. They design the systems to work well together and use industry standard parts, but high-quality ones, not the cheapest on the market. Sure they don't manufacture it all, but they do use better manufacturing and parts then say oh DuLL.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.