I don't run & and I don't swim (w/ a watch on), Sell me on a Series 2

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by rockitdog, Mar 27, 2017.

1. rockitdog macrumors 68020

Just as the title says... I don't run & and I don't swim (w/ a watch on), Sell me on a Series 2 AW.

2. Newtons Apple, Mar 27, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 27, 2017

Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

It is up to you and no one should have to "sell" you on the watch.

You just sold your Series 1 a week ago.

3. BarracksSi Suspended

BarracksSi

4. Relentless Power macrumors P6

Relentless Power

The rebuttal question I would have for you is, if you want someone to sell you on the Apple Watch Series 2, what do you want out of the Apple Watch that would suit your lifestyle? Then perhaps one can provide feedback based on pros and cons if the GPS and water resistance wouldn't be applicable in your situation.

5. Mikael H macrumors 6502

It's a gorgeous piece of technology you don't need and which will likely cost you a considerable part of a month's wages after taxes.

6. rockitdog thread starter macrumors 68020

I did sell mine... and I regret it. Haha.

7. Der Keyser macrumors member

Der Keyser

If you are not using the GPS you'll have 2 days+ battery time on the series 2 due to the extrasize battery. Very nice to have - i know because i have one, and my wife has a series 1

8. MacDevil7334 macrumors 6502a

MacDevil7334

It's your only option if you want a stainless steel case with modern internals. If you're planning to get an aluminum case and don't need the GPS for running or swimming, I have to ask why you want to buy another Apple Watch. Sounds like the Series 1 would have fit your needs perfectly and you said you just sold it. What did your Series 1 not offer that you hope to get out of a Series 2?

9. rockitdog thread starter macrumors 68020

I just didn't think I I was using it much or that I would miss it as much as I do. I guess it was more functional that I realized.

10. Thai macrumors 6502a

Thai

In the distant future, the Series 2 will provide a better door stop to most doors manufactured from 1975 to present because it is thicker than Series 0. Prior to 1975, you need one of these: [​IMG]

11. pesos macrumors 6502a

pesos

It's funny because prior to getting my AW2, I never swam with an AW2 on either. But now I do and it's great. I also have multiple two-factor prompts constantly popping up throughout the day for work and it's so much nicer to handle those on the watch than having to dig out my phone (or occasionally go hunting for it when I've set it down somewhere else). Between the run/swim/work apps and the sony chip for subway/vending machines/apple pay in Japan it's been a good investment. If you're not going to use it, however, then why get one? The boot time isn't exactly short but it's a lot faster (booting and in general) than the previous gen was.

12. lint2015 macrumors member

Wait for Series 3 to come out, then decide whether you want to get old Series 1 stock on the cheap, Series 2 on the cheap, or Series 3 instead. If you even want to get an Apple Watch.

13. redman042 macrumors 68030

redman042

Because the stainless steel model with sapphire display is SO much nicer than the aluminum.

14. maka344 macrumors 6502a

maka344

15. x-evil-x macrumors 68030

x-evil-x

can you actually disable gps?

16. MrGimper macrumors 601

MrGimper

I think the GPS on the watch only kicks in if you don't have your phone with you. I always have my phone and after a decent 16 hours on my wrist, the watch has at least 75% battery when I go to bed

17. bradbomb macrumors regular

GPS only kicks in during Workouts or apps that use it AND you don't have your iPhone on you.

18. Stefan johansson macrumors 65816

Stefan johansson

I use mine for calendar reminders,navigation in foreign cities,news reader,mail reader and remote for my phone.

19. bniu macrumors 6502a

A watch is a personal item, get the one you want. You might say you don't swim now, and you don't run, but once you get a series 2, you might change your mind. At this point, it's like $100, not a big deal. You can save even more by going refurb.

I ended up blowing $1100 on my space black model with link bracelet.
    I went into this series 2 intending to get a space gray aluminum watch at $399. Of course, most stores sold out in Oct.

I wanted to do that because for Series 0, I got the stainless steel one and felt like I would prefer the lighter aluminum one.

I ended up getting a stainless with white sport band, and then by pure chance, the next day at another Apple Store found a space black with sport band in stock. I had never considered space black so I bought it just to try it out. At that point, I had both steel versions and I decided I'd just stick with steel for Series 2, so the question was which one to keep. The silver stainless would go with all my bands, space black had just sport band, Milanese loop, and link bracelet available for bands. I ended up liking the pure black look of space black and returned the silver steel version unopened. I then picked up a space black link bracelet to complement the sport band. So far, I've really loved my space black series 2 watch.

20. profmatt macrumors 65816

profmatt

I recently swapped my SS for a SB and absolutely love it. I have a black leather loop and the Nike black/volt strap.

How are your finding the SB Link strap?

21. bniu macrumors 6502a

I love the SB Link strap. The diamond coating protects it from scratches, it's actually super comfortable to wear as well. I basically wear it everyday at the office and when I go to the gym, I swap to the sport band.

I find the SB link really gives the watch a nice high end look while still remaining a bit discreet. I really love the stealthy all black look.

Yes, I paid $549 for it, but heck, I don't drink, I don't smoke, I don't go out much, so what others may spend for entertainment, I spent on my Link strap.

22. LaurieAnn macrumors regular

LaurieAnn

I once dropped my new iPhone in the toilet after I peed in it. Since then, I chose the AW Series 2 over the Series 1 for the water resistance feature. Plus I splash a lot when washing dishes and never take my AW off.

23. SDColorado macrumors 65816

SDColorado

The first bit may fit into the TMI category, but it makes sense hahaha

24. Relentless Power macrumors P6

Relentless Power

Even though the space black link bracelet and stainless link bracelet are not cheap that is offered through Apple. It's my two favorite bands that I own. What I think makes these bands really nice, it's not just the build quality and convenience of the removable links, it's also the fact that they are light enough that you can wear it doing just about any task and it doesn't have to be a special Occasion.