I don't see why people say the 5k iMac is overpriced

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Zellio, Oct 16, 2014.

1. Zellio macrumors 65816

Zellio

Considering the prices of regular 4k/5k devices (Not talking about China or Seiki here), and the fact that dell is coming out with a 5k monitor for $2500, it doesn't seem like a bad deal that you get a monitor and a crappy computer to go with it.

It's like buying a 2009 27" 1440p core 2 duo for nearly the same price as the Apple Cinema.....................................................

2. Mak47 macrumors 6502a

What crazy person is saying it's overpriced?

The display aside, this new model includes an upgraded processor, upgraded GPU and a Fusion Drive compared to the standard 27" iMac. Just using Apple's upgrade pricing on the old model to move up to comparable (though still arguably inferior) specs nets a price that exceeds the Retina 5k.

It's not buying a $2500 display and getting a computer for free. It's buying a somewhat upgraded (from last year) computer and getting a Retina 5k display for free.

3. Georgio macrumors 6502

Georgio

Arguably upgraded in all respects except the GPU where Apple have gone for the cheapest option, not the best option.

For that spec. the price should have been kept at the current pricing.
    For the extra they've charged we should have had the NVidia 980M, that would have justified the higher pricing.

For those saying that the M290/295 GPU is as good as the 970/980M, it's not. Aside from it not being as powerful, it draws more power and runs hotter doing it; i still have nightmares thinking back to my old 6970 iMac...

Time will tell, but Apple have really missed the boat on this refresh; I suspect there will be a lot of dis-satisfied users once they try actually moving pixels around that real estate.

4. ElectronGuru macrumors 65816

Because it apple, so they must be overcharging.

How quickly we forget, 2.5k screens used to be rare and it was a good value then too.

5. xmichaelp macrumors 68000

xmichaelp

If anyone says it's overpriced they're an idiot, no other way to put it.

6. matrix07 macrumors 601

matrix07

7. mad3inch1na macrumors 6502a

8. MartinAppleGuy macrumors 68020

MartinAppleGuy

I've seen quite a few PC 'fanboys' but I've always found them to be lacking in knowledge when it comes to anything Apple. They thinks that Macs can't game, they are way overpriced, run no software apart from graphic design suites...

I'm glad I'm not a part of that ;)

9. Oracle1729 macrumors 6502a

If I drop a few grand on a monitor, I don't want it stuck to a 2013 Haswell CPU. $2500 might be a bargain for the monitor alone, but it's a ripoff for the iMac using that monitor.

10. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Funny, while I don't consider MacRumors the only resource for all things Mac, I can say that I have yet to see any real complaining about the pricing. Perhaps on some windows forum, but not on any mac-related forum.

11. Gregintosh macrumors 68000

So then you got a $2,500 monitor which is on par with the Dell monitor that has similar specs. So best case scenario: you paid $2,500 for a 5K monitor with a Mac attached. Then after 5 years when the Mac can no longer do simple things without lag/problems you got a 5k Monitor you can plug your other macs into.

I don't see how its overpriced either. This is actually fairly aggressive pricing for Apple. Though I also know that by next year or within two years 5K will be standard on the line, and probably the 21.5" ones will also see a doubling of the resolution.

They'll also make a standalone display probably for $999 or $1,499 (the longer they wait on this the cheaper it will be.. my personal guess is next year at $1,499).

12. gibbz macrumors 68030

I agree the pricing is right, but the 5K iMac cannot be used as an external display:

13. matrix07 macrumors 601

matrix07

I was a PC user, until I saw the original iPhone keynote. My jaw dropped. How revolutionary it was. I went to my usual sites (Engadgets, Tom's Hardware.. etc. sites like that) expecting to see praises, excitements.. All I saw was complaints after complaints. No 3G. Software keyboard. etc.
    I knew instantly I was not part of that crowd (clowns). Now with all the Macs I have I'm glad I don't have to go to those sites anymore.

14. Cloudsurfer macrumors 65816

Cloudsurfer

People who say the 5k imac is overpriced simply have no knowledge of the matter.

If anything I would say Apple is taking a big hit in the profit margin department, with more profitable devices covering the lost costs.

I agree the computing part may not be the most exciting thing Apple has come forward with, but that will change with time as the insane prices of these panels drop.

One thing I did miss is a 4K 21,5" iMac. But that would probably steal the thunder of a 5K Mac.

Too bad, would've been a sweet choice for nMP users. I guess Apple really wants people to use this as a computer and not simply a screen .

15. Wang Foolio macrumors regular

That's a shame, I was assuming something like target display mode would be an option.

16. matrix07 macrumors 601

matrix07

It's just that you have no way to drive 5K monitor right now. You need Display Port 1.3 which will be out next year.
    Marco talked about it here. He'll sell his Mac Pro to buy this iMac.
    http://www.marco.org/2014/10/16/retina-imac-vs-mac-pro

17. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 604

So what CPU do you suggest???

There are no other CPU's currently available, I really don't seee what your issue is they have used teh best CPU's currently available for the TDP of this product.

18. ElectronGuru macrumors 65816

For my flexible work space, the ideal would be two of these side by side, connected with a 1.3 cable. This gives three config options:

A + B
    A -> B
    A <- B

Such that if either person is out, the other person can use their screen for expanded desktop.

19. weckart macrumors 68040

The cost price of the panels may drop but I somehow doubt Apple's prices will follow suit.

20. jterp7 macrumors 6502a

lol just comparing to the old 27", when equally equipped (you have to add the fusion drive to the old 27), its 300 more for the 5k, not taking into account the 775 vs m290 which I can't comment on yet.

Just like in the case of the original 15 retina, facebook scrolling isn't 120fps OMG sky is falling.

21. Oracle1729 macrumors 6502a

You'd have to be a total idiot to tie any CPU and GPU to a 5k screen. CPU performance is still improving and a 5k screen will be magnificent for years to come. In 5 years you'll still have one of the best screens available when you scrap it because your computer is too slow.

And that's aside from the fact that just like the iPad 1 and 3 and original retina macbooks, it is grossly underpowered for its screen. Version 2 will come out pretty soon and you'll be stuck with a non-upgradable paper weight while the person with the real 5k monitor spends a bit upgrading their computer.

----------

Perfect so the idiots who buy this now can have a slow piece of crap of a computer while the people who buy a much cheaper 5k panel next year can also have a much better computing experience.

New tech is expensive, we all know that. But permanently attaching expensive new tech to sluggish old tech is beyond stupid.

22. ElectronGuru macrumors 65816

Wasted hardware perhaps but not wasted dollars. To get the equivalent solution you have to spend at least $3500, and that's if you wait for the tech to even hook up the two pieces of equipment. So the new iMac would have to depreciate over a thousand dollars before it cost your more down the road than what you'd pay extra today, for the alternative.

23. Oracle1729 macrumors 6502a

ROFL? Where do you get that BS? The Dell Ultrasharp 5k 27" will be $2500. Any $1000 PC will out spec the top-end $4000 iMac in every way. And in a couple of years you can attach a new $1000 box to the same screen.

So Dell Ultrasharp 5k 27" for $2500 is good. iMac Retina for $2500 is rip-off garbage for idiots and suckers who can't think more than 2 days into the future.

24. leenak macrumors 68020

If you look at the price of the video card alone, it is $1000. There is nothing wrong with those who want to do Hackintosh and what not and you can do that if you want. I'd rather not go along with that hassle and I'd prefer no tower (something as big as a mac mini would be ok with me but it has no dedicated video card). And if you bought a $2500 iMac, I'm sure you could sell it in a couple years for $1500 if you are going to compare it to a $1000 refresh every 2 yeas.

25. DerekS macrumors 6502

People who complain about it being overpriced want one and can't afford it. Simple as that.