I don't understand the existence of the 5C

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by boomhower, Sep 10, 2013.

1. boomhower macrumors 68000

boomhower

It's not cheaper, it's the same price the 5 would have dropped to if they 5C wasn't built. They really spent the money to develop a new phone to introduce colors? I'm just at a complete loss as to why it exists at all.

2. darngooddesign macrumors G3

If its not the same price as the 5S, it is cheaper. That, and the color selection is the point of it.

3. Lucille Carter macrumors 65816

4. skywalkerr69 macrumors 6502a

skywalkerr69

There is a massive market out there for people who own cheap phones but want something more for their money. With the plastic, the margin on this phone will be huge. They also probably wont be pushing many updates to it.

5. 12vElectronics macrumors 68040

12vElectronics

You'd be surprised how well things sell when made in different colors:D

6. drsoong macrumors member

Colour sells well?

I'll use Henry Ford as a counter example to that. And :apple: already used to offer twice as many colour options as he did. :D

7. ItHurtsWhenIP macrumors 6502

He didn't say 5S for a reason. He said it's the same price that the original 5 would have dropped to if they hadn't discontinued it, which is highly probable.

So yes, it seems like they only introduced it to sell original 5's with colorful new plastic cases. They just spun it to make it seem like it's something "hot and new" (and, technically, it is new) even though it's just the old 5 with a plastic body.

I think they just realized that, aside from the fingerprint scanner (which is a joke in my opinion) and slight processor upgrade (they compared it to the ORIGINAL iPhone for crying out loud, that speaks volumes to me), they probably released the 5C to keep the original 5 from continuing to compete with the newer 5S, which is yet another very minor upgrade like all the S models that I can remember.

8. BaldiMac macrumors 604

BaldiMac

It's not about market share. It's about margins.

9. youradhere4222 macrumors 6502

I was under the impression that it was to market the phone better in poorer countries (like China) where consumers typically choose cheaper Android phones or imitation iPhones due to the high price. But the price difference is so negligible that it doesn't even achieve that goal.

The colors will certainly have a very distinct appeal, but the features will be lagging behind those of the 5S. Consumers, in the US at least, are so focused on having the latest technology, I'd be surprised if they would settle on an older camera, etc. just to save $100.

This may be more of an internal move for Apple. It might allow them to sell excess chips and logic boards from previous generations while also catering to a new demographic.

10. Mrbobb macrumors 601

The price differential is not as great as analysts expected.

It almost doesn't make sense for the Western buyer except to get an iPhone for the kids to keep everybody in the same ecosystem but not spend the full amount for them.

Price announcement tomorrow in China will be interesting.

11. darngooddesign macrumors G3

It doesn't matter if its the same price as the 5 if the 5 had been kept around. The 5 was not kept around, and this is cheaper. The point of the 5C is a cheaper, differently styled phone. And due to its plastic back, its going to be more durable as well.

12. javisan macrumors regular

bingo

13. Surrylic macrumors regular

I personally am one of those American consumer suckers that always buys the most recent model of whatever technology I'm looking at purchasing, however I know loads of people that buy an older model to save $100. That's a lot, it's a full 50% of the price. I think the general consensus and media seem to show that all of us are always after the newest thing, and maybe I just live in a poorer area of the country but I have known a lot of people to purchase an older model to save money... Especially for kids. No 12 year old needs to have the latest thing, they get stuck with a year or two older model.

14. ItHurtsWhenIP macrumors 6502

Whether you think it matters or not doesn't make it irrelevant or erroneous.

Did the 4 not go down in price when the 4S came out? Did the older models not drop in price when the G models came out?

The fact is they replaced what would have become, in all likelihood, a ~$100 cheaper iPhone 5, with a $100 cheaper colorful 5 with a new letter and plastic case that's even cheaper to produce - thus raising profit margins.

They are very clever at Apple. They make nice things and develop sound business strategies, but that doesn't mean it's always in the best interest of the consumer. In reality, they kept the iPhone 5 and switched it's outer shell to a cheaper to produce plastic while still charging as much as they would have had they kept the metal 5 in production, but perception is that they came out with a whole new phone that's cheaper (only compared to the 5S) and now all the sudden will reach new markets. The original 5 could have been reduced in price and been marketed elsewhere, but they covered their butt in many ways by releasing the 5C. Very smart as usual.

15. CEmajr macrumors 601

Exactly. Its sole purpose is to increase profit margins for Apple. It's cheaper to manufacture than the iPhone 5 was.

16. Kurso macrumors 6502

The 5C is about the consistency of the iPhone ecosystem.

The problem they have had in the past is that phone two generations behind have been the most popular (presumable because of price; read free). As an example, with the 5 being the top of the line the iPhone 4 is free.

The 'C' enables them to maintain the same form factor as the current gen phone (screen size) but still offer the low cost alternative. For example, rather than having the 4S (cheaper) and 5 be different form factors they now have a strategy of offering a unified platform at different price point.

The C models will more than likely always have previous gen internals with current gen form factor. Something the existing model structure doesn't encourage.

It does call into question the existence of of 'S' models moving forward but I view this as a sign we may seen a faster pace of innovation.

17. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

You should join the guys who have posted threads about this who have the same lack of understanding.

Here's what I do. If I don't get why the 5C is available then I just don't bother with it.

18. Adam552 macrumors 6502

Actually prefer the look of the 5C to the 5S, something I did not expect :p

19. BaldiMac macrumors 604

BaldiMac

Source? I don't think that is true.

20. ajt1995 macrumors 6502

I don't get it... The iPhone 5 and 5S have EXACTLY the same form factor.

21. emptysoul macrumors regular

That makes absolutely no sense. If they had developed the 5C to replace the 4/4S then you'd have a point but they are KEEPING the 4S thus keeping two form factors. and two different sets of cables. This just maintains the existing inconsistency.

I view this as a sign that Apple are making a blatant cash grab with shiney-shiney and are seriously lacking in innovation.

22. Densi macrumors member

Plastic

Maybe it is the first step for a bigger screen. Maybe it is easier to produce a bigger phone for a bigger screen if you just have plastic and a metal frame inside. And maybe we get in now to get used to plastic again. Educated guess: iPhone 6, 6S, 7, ... will stay jewelery and the C-models will develop in normal consumer products like Android. Maybe they will come out wih a phablet in plastic...

23. the8thark macrumors 68040

the8thark

The is one catch. The 5C is not in the cheap phone market. It's priced in the high end phone market.

24. spinedoc77 macrumors G3

spinedoc77

It seems that Apple "downgraded" the 5 to a 5C so it could sell it at increased margin, and also so people wouldn't realize what a miniscule hardware update the 5s was to the 5. Kind of funny, but VERY smart on Apple's part, they seem very well outfitted to capitalize on the stupidity of the unwashed masses.

25. Tiger8 macrumors 68020

It is cheaper, for Apple, not for you. Like I said in another thread, the would-be iPhone 5 owners got a downgrade; same phone in cheap plastic, for the same price ($99). For Apple, some reports say they saved 10% - 15% of manufacturing costs so that's your big margins $$$$$