I Don't Understand Western Culture

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by CubaTBird, May 25, 2007.

1. CubaTBird macrumors 68020

So I am a college student at a somewhat prestigious four year university and I find there is something I don't quite understand. Last semester I took a basic health class to fulfill some ge requirement and all throughout the class I remember the teacher saying things like "always get tested before having sex" or "always use protection" etc etc. I would even see posters in the health sci building promoting such "awareness" to college students.

However..

I would then go out to other places on campus and see signs and banners that say things like "the place to hook it up" or hear about sororities auctioning off guys to girls. Or ads that just float around on campus that promote "sexy singles, hook up night 07".

I mean its almost complete irony, am I right here? I mean unless the people at these parties are in the moment and they say things like "hey babe, before we hook up lets run down to the hospital and get tested... my health prof. said so, then we can do it"...

What do you think?:eek:

2. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

First of all, you're in Southern California, of course you're confused. :)

Secondly, I think you might be taking those posters a bit too literally.

3. ham_man macrumors 68020

ham_man

If your school wants any federal assistance, it has to say that. Other entities that don't need to play by those rules merely play off the horniness present on any college campus.

4. MacBoobsPro macrumors 603

MacBoobsPro

The campus wants you to hook up and have a good time. The posters are saying be careful about it. :rolleyes:

5. elfin buddy macrumors 6502a

elfin buddy

Wow, that's a very specific aspect of Western culture which you've singled out. I was expecting more of a full-blown rant against rampant consumerism and social selfishness.

For the record, it's not something I understand either ;)

6. Chef Medeski macrumors 6502a

Chef Medeski

Or you could as, do you have AIDs?

Its really as simple as that. Or just not ****ing anyone you've only known for 5 minutes.

Someone needs a couple more semesters at college before they should start trying to ask philosophical questions!

7. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

So is it the philosophy that one ought to engage in responsible sex practices (STD prevention and testing when appropriate) that is unique to Western Culture, or the fact that people don't actually do it?

As far as I know, they're both universal. ;) Besides... the gold standard is that you get tested in between sex partners. STDs don't come from toilet seats. It's not like you need to be tested ten minutes before you have sex with someone. Just since you've stopped having sex with the last someone (and maybe twice in some of those cases).

8. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

Come on now, no need to twist the knife on CubaTBird.

BTW, its AIDS not "AIDs"

9. Peterkro macrumors 68020

Peterkro

Plus I think you mean HIV and not necessarily AIDS

10. the vj macrumors 6502a

CHEFF, I AM WRITTING CAPITOLS BECAUSE I AM DOING A RENDER IN AFTER EFFECTS.

MANY PEOPLE WHO HAS AIDS DO NOT WANT TO KNOW IF THEY HAVE IT AND BELIEVE IS THE OTHER PERSON BUSINESS TO HAVE SEX WITH THEM WITHOUT PROTECTION.

IF SOME ONE IS "HOOKING UP WITH YOU" IS BECAUSE THEY ARE GONNA DO IT DESPITE THEIR CONDITION.

THE BETTER ADVICE, BE RESPONSIBLE FOR YOURSELF NO MATTER WHAT.

11. elfin buddy macrumors 6502a

elfin buddy

Pardon me for getting off topic, but what does rendering in After Effects have to do with writing in caps?

12. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

These capitols?

Well, "getting tested" usually means a few days/weeks ahead, not immediately before. ;)

13. rockthecasbah macrumors 68020

rockthecasbah

Sexy Singles, Hook Up Night '07? I'm in! Live in the now, screw the future :p

In all seriousness you're looking at the viewpoint of one person and expecting that everyone shares the same belief. Look a little more broadly at the society before saying "i don't understand western culture" as a whole. The older age group, and for the teachers sometimes even a requirement, is to promote more protection and try to influence others into making choices of their lifestyle.

But not everyone has the same lifestyle. For someone that approach works for that person, for another he/she wants to sex it up with strangers. It's not ironic as much as diversity in lifestyle choices available in the western culture. 'Different strokes for different folks' as they say. In a 'free' society people will always try to impose their belief(s) on others and just as many may oppose it with different ones.

14. dpaanlka macrumors 601

dpaanlka

He is rendering in After Effects, and because of this, he is writing to you from Paris, Moscow, Tashkent, Washington D.C., and Berlin simultaneously. Duh, it makes perfect sense.

Now, what I don't get is, why is he writing in all caps?

In all honestly, sororities "auctioning off" men never results in sex. It usually ends with a creepy date that you want to get over with as quickly as possible.

15. biturbomunkie macrumors 6502a

are you suggesting a "cultural" conflict? i honestly don't see any conflict at all. students are horny and they (or other private companies) come up with catchy stuff like "hookup night." in response, the school (and maybe some health clubs on campus) exercise its responsibility by promoting safe sex.

16. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

The getting tested thing always tickles me when you see it in action.

Say Guy A wants to be intimate with Girl A.

Girl A was tested 2 weeks ago. She is clear. However, since she was tested, she has had sex with Guy B and Guy C.

So at the time she got tested, she was okay. But now, when Guy A and her are going to have some fun, maybe she is no longer clear.

Note, I am not picking on women in this case, the roles could easily be reversed. My whole point is that both must be tested, and then abstain from contact with others, before being intimate with each other for the test to be valid. Unfortunately, youthful hormones rarely want to wait! ;)

17. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I skipped all that worry out by having a girlfriend.

Despite being born and raised in western culture, I've never seen the point of having multiple partners. I'm all for making a complex life as simple as possible :D but whatever floats your boat I suppose. I just think it's a little dangerous running around with your trousers down with all these diseases and no chance of an unwanted baby being born through a one night stand or whatever.

Ps. I'm not a religious guy ;)

18. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

if the caps lock key is down the on-screen render is turned off, which earns a faster render. :)

19. elfin buddy macrumors 6502a

elfin buddy

Ah, many thanks for clearing that up :p

20. dpaanlka macrumors 601

dpaanlka

If someone wants the fastest render, why are they using a web browser, and possibly other apps, at the same time.

If I'm sitting all day waiting for FCP to render something I quit everything else.

21. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

Because they can. :)

22. dpaanlka macrumors 601

dpaanlka

Well, I guess I could run every single app on my hard drive while rendering stuff. That doesn't really explain why I would do that.

23. juanster macrumors 68020

juanster

i don t understand it but im all good for it,, i take care of myself..I don t expect others to do it for me

24. BigPrince macrumors 68020

I don't understand Western Culture either and I am part of it.

My friend goes to a catholic university and she sees the same people doing stupid things and then coming to church every Sunday like nothing happened.

25. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

I'm with you BigPrince. If I scored at a university party I'd be yelling it to everyone. I don't know how people keep it to themselves. It's simple etiquette to tell your friends.