i don't understand why the black iPhone 5 didn't get the raw Aluminum back!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by animatedude, Sep 13, 2012.

1. animatedude macrumors 65816

what the hell is the anodized aluminum or slate?! i don't understand it, is it like charcoal or what exactly?

the raw aluminum on the white one looks stunning but i don't want to order the white one i want the black....

2. plastictrees macrumors member

3. greytmom macrumors 68040

greytmom

Via Google:

Many metals are structurally weakened by the oxidation process, but not aluminum. Aluminum can actually be made stronger and more durable through a process called 'anodizing'. Anodizing involves placing a sheet of aluminum into a chemical acid bath, quite often acetone in laboratory experiments. The sheet of aluminum becomes the positive anode of a chemical battery and the acid bath becomes the negative. An electric current passes through the acid, causing the surface of the aluminum to oxidize (essentially rust). The oxidized aluminum forms a strong coating as it replaces the original aluminum on the surface. The result is an extremely hard substance called anodized aluminum.

Anodized aluminum can be nearly as hard as diamond under the right anodizing process. Many modern buildings use anodized aluminum in places where the metal framework is exposed to the elements. Anodized aluminum is also a popular material for making high-end cookware such as frying pans and pots. Heat is distributed evenly across anodized aluminum, and the process of anodizing provides a naturally protective finish. It is possible to use another electroplating process to make anodized aluminum look like copper or brass or other metals. Special dyes can also be used to color the anodized aluminum for decorative uses.

----------

Incidentally, slate is the name of the color. Charcoal or very, very dark gray would be another way to describe it.

4. animatedude thread starter macrumors 65816

thanks for sharing this but here it looks more like silver which is great!

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1439915

5. greytmom macrumors 68040

greytmom

The one on the right is a mock-up. It's not real.

Edit: Oops, looks like it is real. But I think the lighting must be off, because it doesn't look like that in the video of the media hands-on, and it doesn't look like that in all the photos Anandtech took.

6. Want300 macrumors 65816

Want300

I am just glad I can preorder my iPhone 5 in white (cuz thats what I think I want), but if I realize I like the black iPhone 5 better (because of the slate color to the aluminum)...

Apple will let you swap it out... No restocking fee, just spoke to a rep about it through Apple chat