I Don't Understand... [why the watch is being sold bundled with the band]

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by fjfjfjfj, Apr 13, 2015.

1. fjfjfjfj macrumors regular

I don't understand why the watch is being sold bundled with the band. I could be missing something (very possible) but for instance you go online and the stainless steel 42mm with sport band is not shipping until June but the 42mm with link bracelet is shipping in 4-6. Doesn't this potentially tie up the inventory in unpopular watch band/face combinations? Why wouldn't the consumer just pick the face type and then pick the band type and they come in two separate packages so the inventory can just deplete as it's sold versus tying it up in odd combinations? Am I missing something?

2. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

Apple is just selling the watches in different packages. They aren't doing a "build your own watch" type deployment.

3. bulbousnub macrumors 6502

You! You get out of here with your logic and sound reasoning. Vamoose! Scat, I say!

4. zacheryjensen macrumors 6502a

zacheryjensen

Because under normal circumstances, that user experience just sucks.

Furthermore, the way they are selling them is the way 40 bazillion watches have been sold throughout the wristwatch's history. It's what is expected by the majority of a "watch" buying market, as well as a wearables market.

You think this is some big deal right now because of launch, but, once the launch craziness settles down, it won't matter one bit and customers will have the superior experience for this decision.

5. ryanmcv macrumors 6502a

ryanmcv

Where do you see 4-6 weeks listed for the 42mm w/ link bracelet? I see "June" listed everywhere for that particular model.

6. Wildgift macrumors 6502

I think that they want the user experience to be that you open a box and there is a watch, ready to go.

7. sterl320 macrumors 6502

Presentation.

While customization is something big for the apple watch, having the right watch with the right bands out there being shown to many other potential buyers is important to them as well.

I predict that soon they will probably allow for them to be sold separately, most likely around the time they allow people to have their own customizable watch faces, and allow developers to use many of the features & sensors of the watch they withheld to make apps. They will essentially open up customization fully, but only after their own vision is fully realized & appreciated.

8. Bryan Bowler macrumors 68040

As already stated by others, presentation. When you open a box, the Watch should be whole, complete, and ready to go!

9. Presonance macrumors regular

Presonance

There is no inventory. At this point, Apple does not have any particular model just sitting in a warehouse somewhere. Their supply chain is set up to respond to demand.

10. linkgx1 macrumors 65816

Custom things don't really work....at least for non-nerds. I'm talking about the non-nerds. Not to mention the mess that would happen IF Apple decided to sell individual pieces. Besides, apple's guaranteeing that someone will buy the link bracelet combo with the black stainless steel.

11. Omen87 macrumors regular

Omen87

There's a chance I would have splurged for the space black if I could have bought it without the link bracelet. It'd still look great with a black leather loop or a black sport band.

12. BeyondtheTech macrumors 68020

BeyondtheTech

Maybe there's a bunch of people in China chaotically yelling at each other...

"Gimme a 42 stainless steel, silver!"

"I need a 38 blue modern buckle! The blue one!"

"Quick, someone give me a MJ452LL box!"

"Hurry up, put it with the rest of them in the shipping box!"

13. Vanilla Face macrumors 6502

The 42mm isn't shipping until June either and it was June before today as well. 4-6 weeks and June are all far enough out that I'm sure that any differences with the shipping dates of those models has to do with the band availability and not the watch availability. The link band could set back a watch because it takes 9 hours to make, while perhaps the sports bands would delay a watch because they are the most sold band.

14. Steve686 macrumors 68030

Steve686

...so you can upgrade, downgrade, whatever the hell it is you want to do and spend the $$$ on a different band than what comes in the box.

I also forgot to mention that the other reason may be that if they let you order custom bands, the returns just because of the bands may get well out of control with people "just trying" on a different band and returning it for another. And if Apple decided not to take returns on custom bands, there would be a riot in the land.

15. DreamPod macrumors 65816

DreamPod

Apple also wants to create a perceived value of the different watch models, knowing the majority of customers won't customize beyond what's in the box. For example, due to the prepackaging, most of the people you see on the street with a Sports watch will have a Sports band, then you see someone with a Leather, Milanese, Link band, your mind associates that with the more premium Stainless Steel Apple Watch. Which makes purchasers of those premium packages happier about their purchase, they paid extra and for the most part it's obvious that the whole package they are wearing is more premium.