I don't want to hear people complain about the price of Apple laptops anymore!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by William Payne, Jan 13, 2017.

1. William Payne macrumors 6502a

2. jerryk macrumors 68030

No complaints? You have come to the wrong forum.

3. William Payne thread starter macrumors 6502a

I thought the photography forums were bad haha, as I keep saying to people if you don't like something or it's not right for your needs don't buy it.

4. ardchoille50 macrumors 68020

I'm guessing the biggest chunk of the cost is due to the 512GB SSD.

5. Septembersrain Contributor

Septembersrain

I don't complain, I just don't buy it. I've got a 5 year old HP laptop that is still chugging along.

For what I use a computer for, it's just not viable to spend over 1k.

To each their own.

6. Marshall73 macrumors 65816

Marshall73

Exactly, they are frequented by unemployed or retired folks with no cash and an axe to grind. Thought the USA was the land of capitalism. Seems that's fine unless you have to pay for anything. Go figure. Haha

7. William Payne thread starter macrumors 6502a

Exactly!!! You are not the type of people I am pointing at. You know your need and your budget do you buy based on that.

Sounds like you and I are in similar boat as far as laptops. I also have a 5 year old HP that's still kicking.

8. Alexanderyan macrumors newbie

Alexanderyan

It has a Nvidia® Quadro® M2000M w/4GB GDDR5

9. William Payne thread starter macrumors 6502a

That would be an easy thing to blame the price on but they can be had these days for a couple of hundred dollars at the size.
    --- Post Merged, Jan 13, 2017 ---
    I want to emphasise that I wasn't comparing specs. I just wanted to point out that there are windows machines out there priced way higher and yes they have things that don't come at lower prices.

But if they put that card in a MacBook Pro at the price that Dell is. Would it suddenly become "acceptable"?

10. SB-MBP Suspended

SB-MBP

I have no problem with the fact that Apple want to price this as a professional laptop, that's fine.

But what is quite annoying is that since 2009 when the 13" MacBook Pro became so so affordable many people like myself bought one and Apple made their other products like the Air more cutting edge, removing the upgradability and stuff (that's also fine, I admire them for it!). And boy, what a laptop it is. I've had a few, naively. A friend bought a 15" Pro in 2009, still working excellent today. They're like tanks. And you can upgrade the main guts too. All the better to me! I love the new MacBook Pros from the Retina to the just released models, Apple still have it.

The complaints I personally have about the current MacBook Pro is, now that mines personally is starting to fall apart due to heavy usage etc.. I can't bloody afford to buy another! It's not just slightly more expensive, but put it this way:

Mid 2012 MacBook Pro 13" - £999

Late 2016 MacBook Pro 13" (current model) £1,449
    ^ and that still lacks the biggest, most innovative and impressive feature!!!

Almost 1.5 times the price. We have every right to complain.

I hate to sound like people who irrationally hate on Tim Cook, but look, Steve Jobs wouldn't have released a brand new model with the entry-level iteration LACKING THE KEY FEATURE.

I can see a lot of people jumping ship to the Surface Pro camp, now that there's at least one other device with the same level of quality as Apple has offered us. Oh, and it has magnetic charging. A step back much for Apple?!

I don't particularly want a Surface Pro over my much loved and well setup Apple ecosystem and iCloud usage which I love, but given the cost of the new devices rising so quickly and so steep, that seems the best option.

It's not like there's much else to choose from, the MacBook Air starts at £949 and to be honest though it's not about the specs, the specs are weak for that price. The MacBook itself, stunning machine, but the price its at it might as well assume the place left behind by the 1-gen MBA which was overpriced to be considered an everyday computer until the 2010 release.

I'll not be able to afford one for a long time.
    Lots of people are the same.
    That's why we complain.

11. Fancuku macrumors 6502a

Fancuku

New Zealand dollars? What is the exchange rate? Dell always charges much higher prices outside the US.
    I can buy that same Dell for $1500 every day here in the US.

12. William Payne, Jan 13, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2017

William Payne thread starter macrumors 6502a

what are the specs of your guys ones?

13. Alexanderyan macrumors newbie

Alexanderyan

Agree there are more expensive windows machines.

14. sammich macrumors 601

sammich

I guess you must be the one exception to that rule.

I don't want to hear people complaining about complaining. There - I said it.

Also, regardless of the generation, I'm almost always never out of pocket for owning any Mac (after resale, of course). I'll never complain - but I'll make the observation.

15. Alexanderyan macrumors newbie

Alexanderyan

Yeah. I wanted the SurfaceBook, but sadly there is only one screen size.

16. jerryk macrumors 68030

Depends with Photoforums. DPReview - bad. FredMiranda- not Bad.

17. BorderingOn macrumors 6502

Wow, I guess Dell really likes to do business in New Zealand. Those start around $1100 in the US.

18. William Payne thread starter macrumors 6502a

Hey man I hear you. I know what's like with the money issue. But that's my fault I need to better myself and better my income.

19. SB-MBP Suspended

SB-MBP

Sure, you can earn more to be able to afford it easier...

But the point was.. If Apple believes the MacBook Pro should be priced so highly, why did they get so many of us onboard in 2009 with such a low cost Pro option?! And why abort that strategy now, and spike the price?!

20. William Payne thread starter macrumors 6502a

What specs do they offer you guys?

21. sammich macrumors 601

sammich

That Dell laptop is also laughably niche. The Nvidia GPU is extremely midrange. Also, what is going on with that line that says '(45% color gamut)'?

Btw, my first laptop was a Titanium PowerBook. That one cost the same amount in $ but not accounting for inflation.

22. MythicFrost macrumors 68040

MythicFrost

I have a problem with all of the prices of Apple's Macs, not just the laptops. I think everything needs to drop in price by at least a few hundred, and component upgrades need to have much less markup on them.

That on top of the brutal currency difference between the US and AU is part of the reason why I moved away from Mac -- can't afford to spend $5k on an iMac when I can get a high spec PC for close to half that.

23. William Payne thread starter macrumors 6502a

What do you guys pay for 5k stand alone displays over there?

24. BorderingOn macrumors 6502

25. William Payne thread starter macrumors 6502a