I don't want to set an admin account on my new rMBP.. please help

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by tm0000, Aug 13, 2014.

1. tm0000 macrumors regular

Hi,

I just got my new macbook pro and was wondering if its possible to not set an administrator account because I am the only user. It gets kind of annoying when I'm asked for a password so many times.

I tried to look under system preferences and found an option that says "allow user to administer this computer".. but it's grayed out. Can anyone help me please?

Thanks!

2. Hustler1337 macrumors 68000

Hustler1337

As there's only one account on your machine, that account will automatically have administrator privileges assigned to it.

When are you being asked for the password?

3. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

There has to be at least one administrator account on your Mac. If you are the only user, yours is the admin account. You can elect not to have a password, but it's better for security if you have one.

4. T'hain Esh Kelch macrumors 601

T'hain Esh Kelch

You would never be able to update or install applications, without being an admin.

5. taedouni macrumors 65816

The password to install/change certain things is a security requirement. I advise you to get use to such a feature. Also be sure to enable the firewall and encrypt the storage on your MBP

6. Meister Suspended

Meister

Don't set a password or dedicate a non-admin account to your daily use.

Problem solved ;)

7. tm0000 thread starter macrumors regular

Thank you everyone! I understand, there has to be at least one admin. Sorry about the dumb question!

Where can I choose not to have a password? Also, how do I encrypt the storage on my macbook, as a previous poster suggested?

Thanks!

8. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

System Preferences > Users & Groups > Your username > Password > Change Password
    (Although I highly recommend you keep a password, even a simple one, for security purposes)
    OS X Mavericks: Encrypt the information on your disk with FileVault

9. Freyqq macrumors 68040

If you don't have a password, encryption will be of limited practical utility. In fact, I think encryption through filevault will require you to make a password.