I don't want to spend a penny on apps...Is the iPad right for me?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Wozza2010, Nov 9, 2010.

1. Wozza2010 macrumors member

Hello.

I'm thinking about picking up a 16gb Wifi iPad over here in England.

Thing is I don't want to spend a penny on Apps. Ziltch, nada, I don't want to spend anything. I just want the iPad to do basic things for me and I'd find it quite cheeky if I had to buy Apps to do stuff.

Stuff I want the iPad for is mainly Internet, iTunes, Email, Social Networking, PDF viewing, Kindle etc. I'm not into games at all or anything like that.

I have a main computer for serious work so its not like it will be my main computer.

Are there any decent free PDF viewers in the App store?

Has anyone tried the Kindle App in conjunction with a Kindle? I've heard books are synced between devices so you can switch between two and keep the same page?

Is there still a selection of good free apps to choose from that will keep me ticking over?

Many thanks :)

2. Zcott macrumors 68020

So you'll drop £500 on an iPad but won't spend 59p on an app? Ok…

Kindle app is good but you'll have to buy books. Use iBooks for PDF reading and Gutenberg books (which are free).

3. melman101 macrumors 68030

I mean, a lot of great functionality comes from paid for apps. However, everything you mention there is free. PDF viewing can be done via iBooks which is certainly free. It works but I have not tested it extensively.

PDF viewer - iBooks as I said before.

I have no eperience with Kindle.

And yes, there are a ton of good free apps :).

4. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

How is the first part of your post relevant to the question at hand?

5. hcho3 macrumors 68030

No, it's not really for you, then.
    By your definition, you won't buy any books, games or any programs.
    So, no... it won't be very useful.

6. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

But for his uses(being of email, surfing, social networking, itunes) it is quite perfect. You don't have to spend anything for that

I mean I have never bought anything for my iphone and I still enjoy what it offers.

There are more than enough free apps as well

7. Wozza2010 thread starter macrumors member

I hear what your saying but 59p here and 99p there all add up at the end of the day. I'm just wondering if I'll get basic functionality out of the iPad without having to put my hand in my pocket again.

One example is getting files from my PC to the iPad. How does one go about that and is there is free app for it or do I have to put my hand in my pocket??

Its good to know there are a lot of good free apps cheers.

8. Airmark1 macrumors regular

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

The reply mentioned "Kindle app is good but you'll have to buy books. Use iBooks for PDF reading and Gutenberg books (which are free)." I see that as relevant. But perhaps I was missing something.

I do also find it strage that someone with a several hundred dollar device won't buy apps for it. But that's me and there are obviously other choices.

BTW. Kindle is pretty sweet but most the books I would read are not free.

9. Wozza2010 thread starter macrumors member

There are plenty of free books on kindle though? I have a Kindle 3. I never said I'd not buy any Kindle books but i just don't want to pay for apps as my needs for the iPad are very basic.

10. hcho3 macrumors 68030

Email, social networking and itunes all work fine with laptops and iphone. Everyone sees things differently, but if he is not willing to spend a penny for it, then I don't see the value of buying iPad.

OP: I would suggest you to find a way to buy iPad cheaper than retail. There is always a way and spend the rest of money on books and apps.

11. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

You did notice I said first part of the post right?

12. HelveticaNeue macrumors 6502a

HelveticaNeue

Yes, the iPad can do the things you mention without buying any apps. Safari handles internet and thus social networking. iTunes for iTunes. The Kindle app is free. You can view PDFs in the Mail app, or download iBooks (free) for a few more options. Not to mention there are thousands of free apps out there that do these same and many other tasks.

13. Paulywauly, Nov 9, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2010

Paulywauly macrumors 6502a

Paulywauly

Can i ask as im curious? Why an iPad over a laptop if you dont want any Apps and have a Kindle 3 for your books? Im not having a dig here, genuinely interested

14. Wozza2010 thread starter macrumors member

I know what your saying but I've had a netbook in the past and I'm bored of them. I don't want to buy another. I love just sitting down on the couch and surfing the web and to me the iPad looks like the perfect device for doing just that. The screen is perfect and the snappyness of safari is really mind blowing. I just want to try something different.

15. darngooddesign macrumors G3

All bickering aside. Yes the iPad can do everything you need for free, and there are free apps to everything else like games etc.

16. Wozza2010 thread starter macrumors member

Yeah I've been thinking of picking up a 2nd hand 64gb for about the same as a new 16gb, but there is something about that newness when it comes to things like this if you see what I mean?? At least I know everything (fingers crossed) will be perfect and the battery with have been conditioned right etc.etc. if I buy new.

17. Lara F macrumors 6502a

To be more precise:

Surfing and email are obviously free.

Social media is generally free for major services like Twitter.

ABC and PBS apps are free. If you already have a Netflix sub there's no extra fee (I assume Hulu Plus is a no). I do think Air Video is worth the few bucks but you can always do the legwork to convert and sync your own vids.

The Kindle app itself is free.

For news, you'll be somewhat restricted but BBC and the AP should stay free.

The Weather Channel and Accuweather are free.

Games are where you'll have the hardest time I think.

18. sapporobaby macrumors 68000

sapporobaby

Don't buy it. You will find a reason to complain about it. Save yourself and those who come to the forum often the headache.

19. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Go to appshopper.com, you can get it to show you just free iPad apps. It'll give you a good idea of what you can do with your iPad without paying for apps. That said, some apps are just worth every penny they cost, and then some. I recommend GoodReader and FileBrowser, they give the iPad a rudimentary file system. Dropbox is free, and also useful in getting files to and from the iPad. If you want to be frugal about how much you spend on apps, you'll find that a little bit goes a long way on the iPad.

20. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

So you never buy an app for your computer? I find it quite inane that you would waste a computer on basic tasks that can only be done if you don't have to spend a dime.

21. LinkMx macrumors member

I've never understood why is it that a lot of people have no problem spending 3.00 every day for a cup of coffee but don't want to spend 99c for an app they will probably use everyday (Not pointing fingers, just saying).

Also, this: http://theoatmeal.com/blog/apps

22. fizzwinkus macrumors 6502a

i agree. it's like saying you want to get into professional photography, but refuse to spend any money on lenses - can you get by with just the kit lens?

well sure, it's possible, but why hobble yourself, especially when apps are so cheap. now a copy of microsoft office for 150 - 400 USD is a rip off. how many apps will that buy you?

23. Apple... macrumors 68020

Apple...

Internet, iTunes and email are all standard on the iPad. For your social networking needs, both facebook and Twitter have dedicated apps, neither of which cost a cent. PDF viewing/ Kindle functionality can all be done in Apple's free app, iBooks. As for the rest, yes, there are plenty (and I mean plenty) of free apps to hold you over. For good. ;)

*Hope this helps! If you have any more questions, just ask!* :)

24. Cartaphilus macrumors 6502a

My advice would be to buy the iPad--it's a great device, and you'll certainly be able to get your money's worth from it even if you never pay a cent, pence, or centieuro on apps. Buying an iPad is certainly not like buying a razor only to find you must spend a fortune on blades.

Having said that, I'll be very surprised if you don't decide to buy apps eventually, but then it will be because you want to, not because you need to in order to justify owning an iPad. And I think that was your concern.

25. Zcott macrumors 68020

It's not relevant at all. However, I, and several others on this particular thread, find it odd that the OP has paid over £100 for a Kindle, will pay about £500 on an iPad and feels reluctant to shell out the 59p that an app will cost. We're talking an app that could revolutionise the OP's use of the iPad and costs almost a mere one-hundredth of the cost of the devices but won't pay for it. The iPad is great on its own, but it's apps that take it to another level.