Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jamesryanbell

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 17, 2009
Is that a "for sure" that it's disabled on the 3.1 Beta that people are running now? Tethering is REALLY useful to me when I'm on the road.

mackmgg

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2007
NO ITS NOT!!!!!!!! It will be reenabled when the 3.1 comes out, because AT&T will OFFICIALLY have tethering then.

kas23

macrumors 603
Oct 28, 2007
NO ITS NOT!!!!!!!! It will be reenabled when the 3.1 comes out, because AT&T will OFFICIALLY have tethering then.

That wouls be like...like...actually buying mp3s from iTunes! ;)

As for free tethering, you can bet AT&T is breathing down Apple's neck telling them to make their software more secure. It looks like they may have given up though on trying to disable free tethering, but rather are focusing on finding out who is tethering (for free). From the latest 3.1 beta 3 thread, the settings can tell you how much data you have processed via tethering vs non-tethering.

mikejfrd

macrumors 6502
Jun 8, 2009
And they will likely charge extra for it. You can still get app in Cydia that will tether for free. I like iPhoneModem because it does it via WiFi.

If wifi is available, why not just connect via wifi and skip tethering? I guess thats assuming you're computer has wifi :eek:

TheRiseofTheFal

macrumors regular
May 9, 2008
Lexington
as a user of beta 3 of 3.1, it's definitely disabled, although they have added a tethering data section under usage, i had been using beta 1 up until today, silly me for not holding out!!

wingsabr

macrumors 6502
Dec 13, 2008
If wifi is available, why not just connect via wifi and skip tethering? I guess thats assuming you're computer has wifi :eek:

well for one most airports prey on business travelers and the wifi is not free. I see nothing earth shattering that I will be upgrading for just because I want my tethering when I need it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.