I don't want to upgrade past 3.0 if tethering is disabled.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by jamesryanbell, Jul 27, 2009.

1. jamesryanbell macrumors 68020

jamesryanbell

Is that a "for sure" that it's disabled on the 3.1 Beta that people are running now? Tethering is REALLY useful to me when I'm on the road.

2. bruinsrme macrumors 603

bruinsrme

3. mackmgg macrumors 65816

mackmgg

NO ITS NOT!!!!!!!! It will be reenabled when the 3.1 comes out, because AT&T will OFFICIALLY have tethering then.

4. SpaceKitty macrumors 68040

SpaceKitty

And they will likely charge extra for it. You can still get app in Cydia that will tether for free. I like iPhoneModem because it does it via WiFi.

5. kas23 macrumors 603

kas23

That wouls be like...like...actually buying mp3s from iTunes! ;)

As for free tethering, you can bet AT&T is breathing down Apple's neck telling them to make their software more secure. It looks like they may have given up though on trying to disable free tethering, but rather are focusing on finding out who is tethering (for free). From the latest 3.1 beta 3 thread, the settings can tell you how much data you have processed via tethering vs non-tethering.

6. mikejfrd macrumors regular

If wifi is available, why not just connect via wifi and skip tethering? I guess thats assuming you're computer has wifi :eek:

7. danpass macrumors 68020

danpass

lol

Hey OP I was thinking something similar today :)

8. TheRiseofTheFal macrumors regular

TheRiseofTheFal

as a user of beta 3 of 3.1, it's definitely disabled, although they have added a tethering data section under usage, i had been using beta 1 up until today, silly me for not holding out!!

9. wingsabr macrumors 6502

wingsabr

well for one most airports prey on business travelers and the wifi is not free. I see nothing earth shattering that I will be upgrading for just because I want my tethering when I need it.