I doubt Verizon will even reach half of the 600K preorders ATT had for iphone 4

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by aneftp, Jan 29, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. aneftp macrumors 68040

Apple's/ATT USA site alone crash while trying to handle over 600K preorders for the iphone 4 back on June 15th 2010.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-31021_3-20007906-260.html

Some people think that was world wide sales but that was just Apple's USA site for ATT which is a crazy amount and that amount probably would have been higher because probably 1/3 of people trying to pre order just gave up. I spent hours trying to preorder 3 iphones and only one order got through before I had to wake up to go to the store.

However, I predict Verizon won't even reach half the 600K preorder ATT set.

There are a couple of reasons and this isn't a "bash Verizon" thing. I am strictly giving my well thought out reason.

1. The main reason is that there simply aren't enough Verizon customers eligible for "full subsidy" $199/299 upgrades. ATT bent over backwards trying to "lock" people into 2 year contracts before their exclusivity ended. So ATT moved up plenty of people who normally would not have been eligible for the full subsidy upgrade (people were moved up to 6 months on their eligibility date). So more customers eligible, more sales. It's just simple math.

Verizon isn't bending over backwards trying to move up their customer's eligibility date like Apple. So Verizon won't capture the common upgraders who will want to wait until their full subsidy.

2. Number 2 is probably a more minor reason (except for diehards). But there are some people who anticipate a new iPhone coming sometime this summer and waiting a few 4-5 months is worth it to have the lastest/greatest. Verizon customers have waited at least the past 2 years so what's another 4-5 months for them. So this isn't a "new" iphone being released. Verizon is getting a phone that's been on the market for 7 months now.

So I am glad Verizon is finally getting the iPhone (I am a longtime ATT customer).

Hope everyone is happy finally (except Sprint/tmobile usa customers!).

But those are my reasons why Verizon will not match ATT's iphone 4 preorders.

2. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Why does everyone think that their take on ATT and/or Verizon deserves its own thread? Maybe I'll start a thread to find out. With a poll.

3. Reaper0bot0 macrumors regular

Uh, yeah. I'm not really sure I buy your thesis. The iPhone 4 wasn't the first iPhone launched on AT&T. This one IS the first one on Verizon Wireless. The pent up demand is rather palpable. I expect insanity on the third. Certainly more on the tenth.

4. lsvtecjohn3 macrumors 6502a

5. JCCL macrumors 6502a

Most likely they will reach it. Verizon has more than 90 million customers. I am sure there are at least 600,000 that are eligible for upgrade pricing.
    Regarding the new iPhone, we at macrumors and most technology enthusiasts know a new iPhone is coming. However, most iPhone customers are not technology enthusiasts, they don't care about the next iPhone. They just know they finally will be able to have the iPhone on their networks and will buy it. This has been expected since 2007, it will surely sell like pancakes.

6. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

I LOL'ed :p
    I think the term is "hotcakes"... sell like hotcakes :)

Thanks for the laugh

7. Gen macrumors 6502a

Gen

How do pancakes sell? :p

8. bergmef macrumors 6502a

Who cares? I guess, why bother even getting one now?

9. Givmeabrek macrumors 68030

Givmeabrek

Most people could care less about some mystery phone maybe coming later this year. They want the iPhone now. And finally AT&T has it. :)

He, he, getting hungry thinking about pancakes now.. :D

10. No ice please macrumors 6502

All Verizon customers I know wants an iPhone. They're moving from droids and other android derivatives.

11. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

What?

A pancake or a hot cake? :confused:

12. elan123 macrumors 6502

hahah, thats funny

13. Rodvette macrumors regular

14. Iusername20 macrumors regular

TC do you anticipate a pre order sellout on the third or do you think they will have a considerable amount for pre orders to last an extra day or two.

15. andrew086 macrumors regular

who cares? it's not like if they don't get 600k preorders Apple will completely drop support for it or something.

16. jmo1116 macrumors regular

Let's be frank here. Many (although not all) people believe Verizon has superior service to ATT; that coupled with the 90 million customers is the perfect formula for success. I believe Verizon will sell plenty of iPhones. I mean, c'mon, this is the iPhone 4 on Verizon we're talking about...think about it.

17. sinsin07 macrumors 68030

That's debatable. It's too bad you don't have something better to do with your time.

18. MarximusMG macrumors 6502a

MarximusMG

For even just this one reason, I believe that the OP is completely wrong.

19. AbSoluTc macrumors 68040

AbSoluTc

+1

Too many people on Verizon have been waiting patiently for this day. Some don't care how much it costs, they WILL have the iPhone in their hands no matter what. Too many people that want it.

Honestly, I predict 1-3 million units sold on that day, with another 1-3 million sold on the 10th.

20. aneftp thread starter macrumors 68040

Of course there will be more than 600k preorders.

I should have been clearer. I should have stated I doubt Verizon will have 600k preorders on the first day (Feb 3rd). That's what Att had in just the first few hours before their system and Apple's system got overloaded.

21. LucidPsychosis macrumors regular

The two reasons you listed are why I'm not pre-ordering an iPhone. I've been a Verizon customer and Apple fan for a long time. AT&T is TERRIBLE in my area, and Verizon has been good to me, so I waited patiently. Well, six months ago I used my upgrade on a Droid 2. I seriously regret doing that, but oh well. By the Summer my sister should be eligible for an upgrade. I'm going to try and talk her into letting me take her upgrade in exchange for my Droid 2.

Also, with this little time left, I'm just gonna stick it out and wait for the iPhone 5. I've waited since 2007, what's another 4 or so months.

22. saberahul macrumors 68040

10th will probably sell more than the 3rd. I'm sure you'll agree.

23. Richard1028 macrumors 68000

Verizon will sell at least 5 million units by close of business on the 10th. 1/4th of those will be new AT&T orphans.

24. RebeccaL macrumors 6502a

RebeccaL

They sell in a box in powder you have to mix with milk and pan fry LOL.

BTW these Verizon/ATT threads are getting old. Who cares how much each network will sell besides the shareholders?

The only thing I care about this VZ vs ATT thing is the impending price war, it will benefit us customers.

25. Travisimo macrumors 6502a

Apple and AT&T would have had tons more than 600k preorders last year if the sites hadn't crashed. There were oodles of customers who couldn't even preorder one (me included). So Apple and Verizon's numbers for the first day will also be dependent on how well Verizon can keep their eligibility server and website running! If they can keep it going, it could very well surpass that 600k number from last year.

Also remember that there are currently ZERO iPhone subscribers on Verizon. Last year when the iPhone 4 was released, there were already millions of iPhone users on AT&T. Not everyone upgrades, not even the majority. But here we are with the FIRST iPhone on Verizon with TONS of customers who still have feature phones or Blackberry's who have just been waiting for this day (cue Verizon's cheesy iPhone commercial).

I expect a total meltdown on 2/3 and 2/10.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.