I downloaded 4.2 gm2. Now I can't figure out how to get iTunes to install it!

Discussion in 'iPad' started by BruiserBear, Nov 13, 2010.

1. BruiserBear macrumors 6502a

Any help would be appreciated. I've got the file, it downloaded, but now I can't seem to figure out how to get iTunes to put it on my iPad.

2. gilkisson macrumors 65816

gilkisson

Hold down Option and click on Check for updates... If you are on windows, I think it's Control or alt.

Having said that, it might be be best to wait till next week....

3. BruiserBear thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thank you! Worked like a charm.

Why would you recommend I wait til next week? It's not like it's going to break my iPad or something. If any changes come in the final build I'll just get them when it's officially released.

4. Pinger macrumors regular

I'd make your iPad is backed up, have a copy of iOS3.2 on hand just in case you need to revert back and have your SHSH backed up... Best bet is research and read all you can before trying to install iOS 4.2 GMb..

5. gilkisson macrumors 65816

gilkisson

Lots of variables. Did you get the "b" version of the GM? From a reliable source? Even given all that, there may well be still some annoying bugs or wierdnesses that make it more of a pain that it s worth.

Beta versions can always do weird stuff, that's all I meant.

6. BruiserBear thread starter macrumors 6502a

You've got to remember this is the final master version of this iOS update. It's not like I'm upgrading to a sketchy beta or something.

Just completed the install and my iPad is now running 4.2!

7. gilkisson macrumors 65816

gilkisson

Actually, we don't know for sure that it is the "final". There have now been two "final" GM versions. It ain't final till Apple releases it...

8. Drewsky87 macrumors 6502

Drewsky87

Don't worry, you'll be fine. People think that iOS will self destruct sometimes. If you happen to have a problem just download 3.2.2 from a reliable source and you can downgrade no problem since Apple is still signing it. I did it with the first GM and it was fine.

9. BruiserBear thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yes, it really is. This is how I wanted the iPad since the day I got it!

Well, as I said, it's very close to finished and even if there were small changes I can get them when the official update is released. :)

I wouldn't mess with an early beta, but I'm happy to have this final/near final version a little early.