I dropped my 2015 MacBook Air down the stairs on a accident and I don’t know if I can get it fixed..

mbirse999

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 3, 2018
yesterday, I tripped down the stairs whilst holding my laptop and I think the lcd is completely broken. I am not too sure but I will link a image.

Please let me know what you think the damage is and if I can get it fixed.

Attachments

Velin

macrumors 65816
Jul 23, 2008
Hearst Castle
Could be many things. Ribbon cable or connection to inverter board could be loose/disconnected. Or the display cables could have been torqued during the drop, a bad cable or connection definitely could cause those lines. Of course it could also be the LCD screen itself, and then you'll need a full replacement, there's no "fixing" a screen. I think that's the most likely, given a fall down the stairs.

One thing you could do, boot into BIOS mode (or Open Firmware mode for OSX). The combo is Power button + CMD, OPT, "O"and "F." If you boot up in this mode, and still see lines, very good chance its a hardware issue. You will not be able to narrow it down after that without unplugging, inspecting and testing many things, i.e. running continuity tests on cables, looking at your inverter for damage, etc.

DeltaMac

macrumors G3
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
One thing you could do, boot into BIOS mode (or Open Firmware mode for OSX). The combo is Power button + CMD, OPT, "O"and "F." If you boot up in this mode, and still see lines, very good chance its a hardware issue. ...
Nothing like Open Firmware has existed on Macs since the advent of Intel Processors. The last Macs that could do that are PPC Macs, not sold new since 2006. (Macs have never had an accessible BIOS)
But, you can certainly try booting to the recovery system (Reboot, holding Command + r)

However, the image that you posted shows a typical cracked LCD screen, no question that is broken.

Reactions: Jeff_42

AbSoluTc

macrumors 601
Sep 21, 2008
Could be many things. Ribbon cable or connection to inverter board could be loose/disconnected. Or the display cables could have been torqued during the drop, a bad cable or connection definitely could cause those lines. Of course it could also be the LCD screen itself, and then you'll need a full replacement, there's no "fixing" a screen. I think that's the most likely, given a fall down the stairs.

One thing you could do, boot into BIOS mode (or Open Firmware mode for OSX). The combo is Power button + CMD, OPT, "O"and "F." If you boot up in this mode, and still see lines, very good chance its a hardware issue. You will not be able to narrow it down after that without unplugging, inspecting and testing many things, i.e. running continuity tests on cables, looking at your inverter for damage, etc.

That's a cracked LCD. New screen required. Everything else looks fine. Connect to an external monitor, if all looks good, you're fine.