I dropped my iPhone 4S

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ali.mofadal, Jan 17, 2012.

1. ali.mofadal macrumors member

ali.mofadal

i dropped my iPhone 4S from the table to the ground, the phone had few scratches, do you know how to remove the scratches (its white btw) and does the fall affect the phone, i mean hardware wise, will it make the CPU, RAM, Battery slower and weaker ? do u think i should return it to apple and get a new one ?

2. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

Apple's not going to replace your damaged iPhone for free but if it bothers you then pay the replacement fee and you're set.
    If the phone works fine just get used to some cosmetic damage. Time will tell.

Anything you try to do to take out the scratches will probably make it worse, just get a good case.

3. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

Return something you damaged? Why would you expect Apple to take that loss. Learn some responsibility.

It it still functions, its fine, the phone is mostly solid state electronics.

4. eclipse01 macrumors 68020

eclipse01

next time put at the minimum a full body skin, i've dropped mine a few times (nothing major) and its still looks brand new.

5. ali.mofadal thread starter macrumors member

ali.mofadal

i dropped it because i was too extra careful but can you tell me a name of these scratches remover products ?

----------

i just got it week ago and haven'f find a good case, i guess i should just buy any cover until i find a good one

6. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Apple sells Apple Care for the phone that now covers drops. You should have bought that. I'm amused to find out that you think you could now return it.

7. Arnezie macrumors 65816

Arnezie

That's just the stupidest thing I've seen on here in a long time.

8. Givmeabrek macrumors 68030

Givmeabrek

Applecare+ doesn't cover cosmetic damage. You have to break it to get coverage.

Remove scratches? You can't remove scratches from glass (it's coated) anyway. Get a nice case.

:cool:

9. 3282868 macrumors 603

Some films such as InvisibleSHIELD by ZAGG may hide scratches and further protect your iPhone without needing a hard shell (although major damage such as glass breakage will most likely not be remedied). If you select an anti-glare film (which I currently use on my 4S) the scratches may "blur" into the device.

In the interim, cosmetic damage does not qualify you for a free replacement. Should you have "AppleCare +" you may be able to purchase another iPhone for $149 ($50 deduct-able/cheaper than $199) twice a calendar year. However, if it is simply a few scratches I wouldn't lose sleep over it :)

On a personal note, I dropped my iPhone 4S at a JFK baggage claim while juggling two bags and a cup o joe (I always have a case but this particular moment the case was in my bag from traveling and simple anti-glare front film was the only protection). After literally bouncing away, it didn't have a scratch, dent, break, anything. I was either very lucky or Apple has done a great job with regards to glass improvements in the 4S. :)

10. ali.mofadal thread starter macrumors member

ali.mofadal

i got this screen protector for both front and back but the scratch is in the upper right side near the edge and you're a lucky person, God loves you :)

11. espiritujo macrumors member

espiritujo

yeah that could be the dumbest thing I've ever seen on here too and I read more than I ever post.

12. silver8ack macrumors regular

What kind of floor did it fall on, and was it covered in diamonds or something?

I must be the luckiest person on earth. I dropped my iPhone 4 in a parking lot, and it traveled the distance of a parking space width before coming to a stop. No damage to the glass at all... only the the aluminum banding, and it was extremely minor. It looked like it was shattered at first, but it was all the salt on the pavement.

I also dropped my 4s on a train and managed to step on it in the process(Not all my weight though). I did have the bumper on there, but still no damage at all.

I'm amazed at the strength of this glass. Or maybe I'm just lucky.

13. cynics macrumors G3

Like mentioned a lot of high end screen protectors are good at hiding scratches. Look up xo skin (I think that's the one) they have a video demonstrating that.

14. Gix1k macrumors 68030

Gix1k

I am so careful with my phones...I'd go bezerk if I dropped it.

15. kevintech macrumors 6502

cookie

16. zigzagg321 macrumors 6502

????

17. zachlegomaniac macrumors 6502a

zachlegomaniac

That's just the meanest thing I've seen on here in a long time.

18. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

No, if the phone continues to work after the drop, it shouldn't make the CPU, RAM, or battery any worse off. With drops, these components will either work, or they won't at all.

And if the battery were damaged as part of the fall, you'd probably know about it right away. :)

19. Munkypoo7 macrumors 6502

Munkypoo7

This is so damn random yet awesome all at once xD

Um, @ OP, take it as a lesson in life and move on. Deal with it.

20. MacBookPro13" macrumors 6502a

MacBookPro13"

My phone fell from my couch onto my laminate flooring face down after I leaned forward and the phone slipped off - Was worried there would be a breakage or big scratch but thankfully my screen protector seemed to take the hit and there is a light scratch on that, that is barely visible unless under direct light. No biggy :)

21. rmhop81 macrumors 68020

rmhop81

they make otterbox defenders for a reason :)

22. sulpfiction macrumors 68030

sulpfiction

You actually may be ok..Just found this in Apple's warranty.

Direct from Apple's warranty:

Any physical damage to the device caused by accidental drops, etc is not covered under Apple's standard warranty. However, damage incurred from a drop while being EXTRA careful is fully covered and a replacement device can be obtained immediately by visiting one of our many retail locations. Please note: This only applies to damage caused by drops while being EXTRA careful. Clumsy or Accidental damage is not covered.

23. Eager Beaver macrumors 6502a

Eager Beaver

It must be a comprehension thing cause I re-read the OP's actual sentence and I don't see anywhere where he is asking for a free phone, or that he thinks apple should take the loss?

See, he says nothing about free, or that it's Apple's fault, (be nice).

Wow, you say that to every person who has dropped a phone in their lives?
    (ur gonna end up on the couch for a couple days when your wife drops her phone) ;)

OP, I would start playing with every feature and make sure everything works properly. If it's damaged, and/or you can't deal with the cosmetic issues, take it into your provider and see what they can do for you.
    (if you just recently purchased it, you may be able to still buy/add applecare to your contract, find out 1st, before you tell anyone you dropped it) :)

24. MacBookPro13" macrumors 6502a

MacBookPro13"

[​IMG]

25. ali.mofadal thread starter macrumors member

ali.mofadal

thanks for the advice mate i'll do it

for the guys trying to be funny, i paid lots of money for the phone and it should come with a decent warranty

----------

its not my problem if you're slow but if you don't have any useful information you don't have to reply