Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Iron Chef

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 11, 2008
I work at Starbucks and I pulled my iPhone out of my pocket to check the time while I working the espresso bar this morning. It slipped out of my hand and fell into a venti cup that had about 1 ounce of vanilla syrup at the bottom of it.

It went in with the earphone jack end first.

I immediately pulled it out and wiped off the syrup with a damp, but not soaking wet towel. Then I dried it with a dry towel. You can imagine I was freaking out. My co-workers got a kick out of it.

Now I feel that I got off all of the stickyness and the phone seems to be functioning. I do see a hint of lag, but the major problem I'm noticing is that I am not hearing the conversations I'm having as well. I have a feeling some of the syrup may have gotten into the listening slot.

I'm just asking for advice on what you all think I should do? Am I covered under a warranty and able to take it to an Apple store and just tell them my problem without telling them it got syrup on it?

gusapple

macrumors 6502a
I don't know, my sister had a friend who accidently left his iPhone outside one night and when he came out the next morning, it was all wet, but it sill worked. Then, he tried to open it up because the leftmost side of the screen was all weird, but when he put it back together, it didn't work. He took it over to the Apple Store and they gave him a new one.

ClassicBean

macrumors 6502a
Jun 20, 2004
Torontoland
I cast all blame on the person who ordered the Venti latte. Had they only ordered a Grande or a Tall, you would have used substantially less syrup and would not be in this predicament.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
All things considering Starbucks employees are "Partners" and if Apple is truly one with Starbucks and wishes to continue the relationship I think a new phone is in order. :)

Actually I don't. You're assed out and should have to pay like the rest of us baboons who drop their phones into odd substances.

Was it sugar free syrup? Maybe there is less stickiness.

Iron Chef

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 11, 2008
All things considering Starbucks employees are "Partners" and if Apple is truly one with Starbucks and wishes to continue the relationship I think a new phone is in order. :)

Actually I don't. You're assed out and should have to pay like the rest of us baboons who drop their phones into odd substances.

Was it sugar free syrup? Maybe there is less stickiness.

Nope :(

I guess I should take it in then...sigh.

vanmacguy

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2007
Not where you live.
For one thing, WTF is it with all you people dropping your iPhones and covering your MacBooks into pretty much any liquid or nearly liquid you can find?

Is this some kind of strange challenge you've all got going?

And secondly, WTF is it with all you people that once *you* dropped it into something that you think it's somehow Apples fault? Which is clearly what you're thinking because you're mentioning warranty.

Grow up and get off the warranty train. You break it it's *your* problem. You cover it in cream cheese and your dog eats it, your problem. You drop it in the grain feeder and a cow eats it, your problem.

iJesus

macrumors 6502a
Jun 30, 2007
Reno, Nevada
For one thing, WTF is it with all you people dropping your iPhones and covering your MacBooks into pretty much any liquid or nearly liquid you can find?

And secondly, WTF is it with all you people that once *you* dropped it into something that you think it's somehow Apples fault? Which is clearly what you're thinking because you're mentioning warranty.

Grow up and get off the warranty train. You break it it's *your* problem. You cover it in cream cheese and your dog eats it, your problem. You drop it in the grain feeder and a cow eats it, your problem.

Dude, how about you grow up and stop with the negative comments? Stop the repeated "WTF". This guy had a stroke of bad luck, if you're not going to help him out, cut it out.

Take a chill pill.

eXan

macrumors 601
Jan 10, 2005
Russia

+1.

Its sad of course, but how can you expect someone else to pay for you if it's your fault?

chrismac00

macrumors 6502a
Dec 17, 2007
Call Apple, they will understand and give you a replacement. This happened to my sister.

Just be nice and they will replace it for you :D

brn2ski00

macrumors 68020
Aug 16, 2007
MA
Ha -- I read the thread title and was like: "Dudes gotta work at Starbucks!"

But seriously, that sucks man.

synth3tik

macrumors 68040
Oct 11, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
I cast all blame on the person who ordered the Venti latte. Had they only ordered a Grande or a Tall, you would have used substantially less syrup and would not be in this predicament.

All the worlds problems are caused by people who order a Venti latte or what ever the hell you call them.

has anyone heard of coffee, a large coffee.

granted the phone would have also been screwed up if it feel into coffee.

hotsauce

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2005
Wirelessly posted (Apple Communication Device: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A102 Safari/419.3)

Doesn't Starbucks have a no cell phone policy while working?

jaded-mandarin

macrumors regular
Jan 1, 2008
UK
You cover it in cream cheese and your dog eats it, your problem. You drop it in the grain feeder and a cow eats it, your problem.

I STRONGLY disagree. I've got a dog and a cow here with serious digestive difficulties here to back me up on this one too.

Sannekita

macrumors regular
Nov 4, 2007
Belgium
I think it's a pretty normal reaction, trying to find out if Apple'll fix it or give you a new one. How dumb would it be not to even ask!
You should try and let us know what happened. Good luck with it!

ozmerelda

macrumors newbie
Mar 13, 2008
Sarasota, FL
I dropped my iphone in a cup of vanilla syrup

If Apple won't replace it, try the credit card company you used to make the purchase, if you used one. Usually they have product replacement coverage.

They don't cover refurbished models. So before you get a refurbished model check with your credit card company.

Fear is the absence of imagination!

sagnier

macrumors regular
Sep 19, 2007
Yup, I think the earphone jack has a water-detecting piece of cloth in it.

although not a syrup-detecting piece of cloth - i think there's light at the end of the tunnel.

i love the idea of a piece of cloth 'detecting' water.

stainlessliquid

macrumors 68000
Sep 22, 2006
Does apple actually check non-computer devices when you send them in for waranty?

I think its worth a shot to just fill out an apple care form saying simply the ear piece doesnt work and send it back. Chances are they dont check to see how it was broken and immediately send out a refurb. I know that I got a completely different and fresh refurb ipod when I sent it in for a poor performing battery, and it was shipped immediately which suggests they never bothered to check if the battery was the problem.

gothamm

macrumors 6502a
Nov 18, 2007
that exact same happened to me (dropping of the iphone in vanilla syrup)....its a very common problem. Fortunately my iphone works great now. Since the vanilla syrup dried up, i had to reheat it by microwaving the phone for about a minute. It was amazing...the syrup simply melted out.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.