I dunno about y'all, but after seeing the new Pixel's display, I love the Apple Notch™ even more now

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Goldfrapp, Oct 4, 2017.

1. Goldfrapp macrumors 601

Goldfrapp

It just keeps growing on me more and more. I have no doubt that eventually the Notch™ will become everyone's envy. It's iPhone's new signature, new unmistakable silhouette. Long live the Notch™!!

2. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

I think the Notch is a trademark stamp for the iPhone X, and for some it's unbearable. But for those who truly want this iPhone, will look past the notch and appreciate its capabilities and features this new iPhone has.

3. JM macrumors 6502a

JM

The notch reminds me of a manilla folder tab. Which, too me, is beautiful.

(I wish they went with a way to hide it, though, throughout iOS.)

4. Billburns macrumors 6502

Billburns

5. TravisPNW macrumors 6502a

TravisPNW

No matter how many times you polish a turd... at the end of the day...

... it's still a turd.

Not that it matters though. Apple could release the X in brown only and it would still sell out. LOL

6. JM macrumors 6502a

JM

Maybe it's sincerity.
    --- Post Merged, Oct 4, 2017 ---
    Some turds can be beautiful.

7. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

The OP's opinion on the Notch is just is valid as yours is.

8. Rayban macrumors 6502

Rayban

9. barkomatic macrumors 601

I don't think the notch will matter that much when using apps in portrait mode, which is probably how most people will use their iPhone.

However, it's a problem if you use your phone in landscape mode for some reason or to watch a lengthy video. There is no way that any content creator wouldn't consider a section of the screen cutout a degraded experience. You will probably be able to adjust the aspect ratio to cover it up, but you will end up with black bars on either side and often the top and bottom portion as well which makes the picture much smaller than the advertised 5.8. This will essentially recreate a virtual bezel.

Again, the X will be a great phone--but not so much for watching video if that's what you do.

10. The Game 161 macrumors P6

The Game 161

Least the x doesn’t have wasted space. Far too much wasted space on the pixel for me.

11. nrvna76 macrumors 6502a

One thing that I haven’t understood about the x is why only 600 nits? Is it to conserve battery? I don’t understand the trade off here as to why they wouldn’t try to rival Galaxy screens.

12. Knowimagination macrumors 68000

Knowimagination

OP I agree, after seeing the pixel 2 XL I am appreciating the design of the iPhone X even more.

I would wait until the displays are in peoples hands and can actually be tested before we worry about brightness. My guess is that this is a difference in advertising and not going to be as dramatic as it sounds.

13. daijholt macrumors 65816

daijholt

Ive never had an issue with the notch. I just wish the Padlock icon in the locksrceen UI wasn't so damn big that it looks like it was made for pensioners.

14. eyoungren macrumors Core

eyoungren

This would explain why I've never heard of you. 'Cause if you knew me, you'd know this to be a fallacy on your part based on assuming that I am like you or like anyone else.

I assure you, I am not. And while I do not have the hate/disdain for the notch as many others here (go ahead, ASK me about the Camera Bump, I dare you) have, it will never grow on me.

15. itsmilo macrumors 68020

itsmilo

The notch itself isnt the issue, the execution is simply dumb as hell. They could easily make the whole area black and have the signal bars etc appear in white instead to make it „even“

16. rafark macrumors 6502a

rafark

I always have. The X is beautiful, sure it could do with some improvements but the notch is the least of em.

17. bigjnyc macrumors 603

bigjnyc

I don't know about it becoming "everyone's envy" that's quite a stretch. I am getting the iPhone X despite the notch, I will most likely get used to it but I don't think I will love it.

18. OneMike macrumors 603

OneMike

You have too many posts to be a troll but you must be kidding.

19. DNichter macrumors G3

DNichter

I’ve always felt the X was a beautiful phone. The more I see it, the more I like it though. Very futuristic.

20. KRG macrumors regular

KRG

The notch doesn't bother me at all. It's not the ideal design (no bezels, no notch), but I much prefer it to larger physicals bezels or virtual bezels. People are weird and resistant to change. I think it's going to be far less of an issue than most people think, once they have the phone in hand.

21. coolbreeze2 macrumors 6502a

coolbreeze2

The Pixel 2 isn't appealing at all. However, if it ran iOS and was the only iOS phone around I would buy it. I love how phones look but it's the OS that's most important to me. Android is not smooth and dependable as iOS and does not look as beautiful. I also love how Apple devices play so well together. I work from home and today I used my iMac, my MBP, my iPad and my iPhone all with the same AirPods seamlessly with all my documents going back and forth on any device I needed at that time.

22. Faelan macrumors regular

Faelan

I think the XL looks pleasing but somewhat boring from the front. Side bezels could use a bit of a trim but top and bottom looks pretty okay. I prefer that over the notch solution. I’m not a fan of the two-tone back though. It just looks... cheap? Dunno how to describe it. The smaller pixel looks as dated as the 8/8+. It just screams generic Android phone. But it looks very functional and it wouldn’t discourage me from getting one if I was in the market for a 5” pure Android phone with good specs. I’ll take that pure experience over the prettier but bloated Samsung phones with limited support any day of the week.

23. Goldfrapp, Oct 4, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 5, 2017

Goldfrapp thread starter macrumors 601

Goldfrapp

That would break the bezel symmetry as well as the overall visual balance. Notch is the best solution.

24. upandown macrumors 6502a

I think people are making a bigger deal out of it than it really is. I think the phone will work just like any other phone. And whether you notice it or not at first, you'll get used to it like anything. People seem to love waving their hands in the air in disapproval these days. (About anything)

I think the extra screen real state around the notch can be useful. Unlike if it were a black plastic bezel. With software which will be optimizated over time, we will have the choice to utilize it. Again, not possible with a plastic/glass bezel.

25. edfoo macrumors 6502

Spoken like a true Apple fanboi. Did Apple pay you for this ? :p
    --- Post Merged, Oct 4, 2017 ---
    What about your iPhone 7+ and my iPhone 8+?