Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kiko7210

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 16, 2016
Ok so I created an account on here just to look for some help, I couldn't find any helpful information on Google and I am hoping one of you know more about my current problem.

I booted up a 2012 Macbook into Recovery Mode and 'Erased' the Hard Drive (with Mac OS Extended Journaled and GUID option). After about an hour, it was done- with the newly created partition (it is the only partition)

I restart the Macbook, but this time I boot from my Bootable USB Drive (which has El Capitan on it). it asks me where I want to install El Capitan, and choose my recently formatted drive.
This the part where I am having trouble-- El Capitan says it is installing... but then it stops and gives me the message "a disk with a mount point is required".

I go to disk utility and I see the my partition is unmounted, I mount it, try again, same error. Now I can no longer go into Recovery Mode, only Internet Recovery (which is taking an hour to load up).

As I wait for Internet Recovery to load, does anyone have any solutions? Thanks!

kiko7210

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 16, 2016
What prompted you to do all this? It almost sounds like you have a failed internal drive.

Well.. the Macbook didn't want to boot up anymore. All I got was the Apple logo with a loading bar, so that is when I decided to just format the hard drive. Before I formatted the drive, I tried to repair the disks in Recovery Mode through Disk Utility, and I got a bunch of errors.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Well.. the Macbook didn't want to boot up anymore. All I got was the Apple logo with a loading bar, so that is when I decided to just format the hard drive. Before I formatted the drive, I tried to repair the disks in Recovery Mode through Disk Utility, and I got a bunch of errors.
That does sound like a bad drive and you should just replace it and restore from a backup. A bad drive cable can also cause this. I would just replace both to be sure.

Reactions: CoastalOR
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.