I exchanged my phone because of yellow issue

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by faith4more, Jun 24, 2010.

1. faith4more macrumors regular

Just heads up I had no problem walking into Apple store this morning and exchanging my phone because of yellow lower right screen. The store staff was great about it and very apologetic.

On another note the line must have had at least 500 people in it waiting to get a phone. I am glad I pre ordered. I have been to several launch days and have never seen the line anywhere near that long.

Also the only case they had in the store was the black bumper. No other cases from any other manufacturers.

2. cberry240 macrumors member

3. faith4more thread starter macrumors regular

No the new one looks perfect. I looked it over before I left the store. I would suggest anyone exchanging to look phone over carefully so you don't have to go back.

4. cberry240 macrumors member

Did you mess with it while there? Let it heat up?

5. fansie macrumors member

Personally, I think they shouldn't be replacing any phones on launch day. The issue is just an aesthetic one and can be replaced next week. This takes another phone away from someone who might get it on launch day.

Of course, that's just my opinion.

6. ugahairydawgs macrumors 68020

ugahairydawgs

You assume there will be a steady supply of phones next week to do this.

7. fansie macrumors member

OP received an iPhone, he traded his iPhone in for another iPhone - thus taking one away from someone who won't be able to get one. What if you were the person in line that was affected by him?

8. anitrajw macrumors regular

OP has a right to exchange his phone at any given time due to this issue am I right??? Shouldn't matter if it's launch day or not. He received a defective phone and shouldn't be denied a replacement even if there are hundreds of people in line.

9. fansie macrumors member

Did the phone not make calls? if so, I would hardly call a yellow dot or line defective. Again, I am not saying it shouldn't be replaced because it should, but on launch day?

10. faith4more thread starter macrumors regular

Hey I paid for a phone. Took the time to order early. I think I am well within my rights to get a defective product exchanged on launch day. That is like saying if I did not have a phone maybe I should not get in line on launch day because if I am in line the guy behind me might not get a phone.

A defective screen is a pretty big deal. Also there very well may be supply issues and I want the perfect phone I paid for now.

Why are we having this conversation. I mean come on really.

11. Stiss macrumors 6502a

OP has paid hard earned money for a device which is technically faulty.
    He has more than a right to exchange it.

My device also has a yellow blob but I cam choosing to wait a few weeks before exchanging it as there are rumours it is the sealant that Apple uses to bind the screen to the LCD and it hasn't dried properly and will go with use.

Plus by also waiting I am not taking a phone from anyone else stood in the queue. Plus I don't have that hassle of going back to that shop yet.

12. j3w3ly macrumors member

Yes, it absolutely should be replaced on launch day. OP paid for this item, and did not get what he paid for. He may be taking a phone from another person in line, and that person should have pre-ordered, reserved (which was really easy to do), or gotten in line sooner. He is only taking a phone away from those who didn't bother to plan ahead.

13. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

Just came back from the store w/ an exchange unit myself. They could not have been nicer. I walked up to the door and explained I rec'd my phone yesterday & it had a defective screen and wanted to exchange it & wanted to know if it would be possible to do it today. The manager said he'd be happy to help and walked me to the Genius Bar. The Genius -- saw the screen & then set me up w/ an exchange unit. Whole process took maybe 5 min.

FWIW the exchange did not involve the sales staff so the exchange did not delay anyone in line. I called tech support this AM and they told me to go today b/c there may be no phones left tomorrow. BTW the line was the largest I've ever seen at the store, including the opening. Wow.

From there I ran over to BestBuy and picked up a cheap temp case until my actual case arrives. They have some $15 TPU and silicon case, whichever you prefer.

I'm syncing now. Hopefully the yellow dots will not appear on this one. Heat is what activated them on my last one so I'll find out in a few.

14. quagmire macrumors 603

quagmire

A lot of times Apple Stores keep some of their stock of launch products not available for sale for defective products. Most likely, he didn't take anyones iPhone away.

15. faith4more thread starter macrumors regular

I did not let it heat up. But on the one I exchanged heat did not seem to be the issue. I am not saying it is not but mine had the the line of yellow as soon as I turned it on with no change in intensity as I used it. I would suggest just in case on an exchange surfing the web or something on it before you leave to make sure though.

16. fansie macrumors member

Let's play devil's advocate - Let's say you didn't preorder and someone had the same issue in the line you waited on and you were the person that didn't get an iPhone because of it? Would you still feel the same way?

And to the people that say they should have preordered.. I myself preordered (like many other) had my order canceled for no reason.

17. anitrajw macrumors regular

Shouldn't matter if it makes calls or not, it's a defective unit and it should be replaced, obviously Apple has no problems with it so why are you complaining:confused:

Last I checked defective meant anything that has a flaw or is deemed imperfect, I like perfect and would prefer a perfect screen that doesn't have yellow spots

18. anitrajw macrumors regular

+1

I know if I receive my phone today and I have this issue I'm going straight to the Apple store and I expect a replacement.

19. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

Point is moot b/c the exchange does not involve sales staff or exchanging w/ a retail unit. A Genius does the exchange and gives you a no-box exchange unit. No one in line is inconvenienced. The Genius main role today is to xfer customers contact data to their iPhone, if they want. That happens after the purchase, obviously.

20. anitrajw macrumors regular

Since you wanna look at it this way... Lets say you waited in line like everyone else and you get the phone home and notice these spots, are you gonna accept it or will you want a replacement?? It's really no difference, we all had to wait for the phone, some of us chose to do it in line while others chose to do it at home..

21. faith4more thread starter macrumors regular

If you go wait in line I assume you are today. You should let the people behind you in front of you because after all you being in line means some guy behind you may not get a phone today.

Why are we having this conversation?

22. ValenR macrumors member

Wait- So I can't spot those yellow spots unless I let my iPhone heat up first ?
    So there's no way to tell when I open it in-store and check it, unless I stay there and let it heat up ?

23. cberry240 macrumors member

Not necessarily. Mine are faint on startup but when it's being used they light up like christmas lights

24. twelve56 macrumors member

I got my phone from ebay, im picking it up tomorrow. If mine develops the yellow screen issue and it doesnt go away after time what will i need to get it replaced, or will i have the hastle of having to contact the seller and getting them to do it? couldnt i just get the receipt or something from them? the seller had it delivered by the way.

25. Built macrumors 68020

YOU are absolutely right, faith.